custom made IG commander -points cost? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-13, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Default custom made IG commander -points cost?

Lord High Commander-Inquisitor
WS5 BS5 S6 T5 W3 I6 A4 Ld10 Sv2+ isv3+
independant character, eternal warrior, master psyker (lvl 3)
artificer armor, force shield, bolt pistol, psychic hood
force weapon -this is a master-crafted relic blade, causes instant death regardless of toughness and roll extra D6 for armor pen.
can issue 4 orders each turn, command radius 24", can use all orders
special rule: fearless,counter attack, furious charge, feel no pain , summary execution, aura of discipline
Psychic powers - from Pyromancy, Telepathy, and Telekinesis disciplines

How many points should he be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-13, 04:42 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Let's start from the Fluff. He's a Mary Sue. From his name, and the lore mangling is thoroughly horrific.

So; rules -
What the fuck is up with his statline? Looks like you had an epileptic fit while typing it.

+1 WS = +10
+1 BS= +10
+3 S = +30
+2 T = +20
+2 I = +10
+1 A = +20
+1 Ld = +10

Equip = Artificer Armour (35), what's a Force Shield, I assume Storm Shield from Inv (15),
PsiHood (15).

Special Stuff; EW (25), Psyker 3 (100), Force Weapon that always causes ID, is a mangling of the rules beyod recognition (~50). Orders @24" x4 a turn is around ~50pts worth (Creed). All his USR's (Fearless, CA, etc), all add up to around 60pts, while his Execution and Aura gives a +10 each.

So, 500ish points. That's around Primarch level of capabilities.

This is... pretty horrific mangling of rules and lore, and I've spent a lot of time around rules creation.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-13, 05:04 PM

Ddraig Cymry's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by relytdan View Post
WS5 BS5 S6 T5 W3 I6 A4 Ld10 Sv2+ isv3+
That's better than any Marine Chapter Master, hell it's better than Demon Princes. This seems to be a self insert where you try to make them uber-powerful. And it frankly would break the game over it's knee along with any fairness with it. Generally speaking, Imperial Guard units don't automatically have Invulnerable saves. Hell, the best armor save we have is 3+, and that's only on two units (Colonel Straken and Techpriest Engineseers, and only because they have power amour). The four orders radius 24'' is really only Creed's special rule, and mostly because Kell and yell that far haha. As for the fluff, he can't be an Inquisitor and High Commander, those two titles belong to two separate organizations. And the points cost is way way way to much for Imperial Guard. Or any army. Ever.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-13, 05:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Gotta agree with Vaz, those rules and statline are all over the place.

Those stats make me think something between a space marine chapter master and Typhus, not Imperial Guard commander or inquisitor.

I would generally agree with Vaz on his ~500 points, probably a little more to boot since your doubling his initiative and strength (which is then further increased by the relic blade?)

Honestly, if someone came to me for a game with such a character I wouldn't bother accepting. You either need to play at the apocalypse point level to have decent forces, or your army will be so small because of him that most opposing lists will simply roll over you.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-13, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

well while i do not appreciate the language, the comments are not very usefull here is a revised..Lord High Commander-Inquisitor
WS5 BS5 S4 T4 W3 I5 A4 Ld10 Sv2+ isv4+
independant character, eternal warrior, master psyker (lvl 3)
artificer armor, force shield, bolt pistol, psychic hood
force weapon -this is a master-crafted relic blade, roll extra D6 for armor pen.
command radius 24" can issue orders
summary execution, aura of discipline
Psychic powers from Pyromancy, Telepathy, and Telekinesis disciplines
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-13, 10:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Comments not very useful? Thus far everyone's comments have boiled down to: he is way overpowered, will cost a fortune in points, and seems designed to be the best of several characters with none of their weaknesses.

His rules still dont make any sense. A master crafted force relic blade? Creeds range for orders? Summary execution?

Why is he an inquisitor commander? Has he just seconded a regiment of guardsmen to his command or something?

Bumping down his stats the bit you did, I would honestly say 350 to 400 points and would still refuse his use in a game.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-13, 11:03 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

450 pts for me.
But, of course...you could even say 10 or 10 thousand because that ArchDaemon made real would never hit my gaming table!
Besides, its a powerhouse...even with the stat lowering he has way too many abilities to be something different from a plot/scenario model. He should be used without point costs,as part of a narrative battle or campaign.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-13, 11:14 PM

CE5511's Flag is: USA

Here are my comments: You want creed, a lord commissar and an inquisitor... dam!

Your stats look acceptableish. Drop the initiative to 3 or 4. Those are about the best stats you will find for any of the three characters.

Your special rules are a bit excessive. Drop the Eternal Warrior and give him mastery 2 instead of 3. Mastery 3 is saying he is on par with even the most legendary of the legendary psychers in the galaxy. I know you want him good, but that is just too much.

Change your force weapon around. You have a hard hitting weapon definitely, but go for some utility with this guy. Most expensive characters are either single minded killing machines without par or a mix of that and utility. What if you gave him something like the space wolves runic staff? Or one that had runes or warding built into it, activated its force ability for free, or something to that extent.

Command Radius, can issue 3 orders, lord commissar goodness. I could get behind that. Even this loadout is a bit much. Your guy is to be the best of the best, ok. But thats a lot of training even for an inquisitor!

If you took Cortez, gave him the commissar goodness and a 24 inch & 3 command ability and priced him at 200 or so, that might be closer to something playable
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-13, 11:59 PM

Ddraig Cymry's Flag is: USA

I'd still remove the Invulnerable save, that just seems so far out for anything Guard related, the 2+ could stay. I'd still remove the Summary Execution and MAYBE the Aura of Discipline, both of those are really Commissar only traits. I'd say lower the radius to 18'' with 3 orders and that'd be better. I'd take down his Psyker trait to Level 2, Level 3 seems way to powerful for a unit that is also so strong as a combat unit. The weapon doesn't make any sense, try a staff.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-13, 06:46 PM

With those stats you better say 600pts or no one will want to play against your custom army.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode