Imperial Guard 2000pt list feedback - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Default Imperial Guard 2000pt list feedback

Haven't played 6th edition yet but i'm an old 5th player, I put this list together after reading over some of the changes (I ran vet chimeras w/ spec. wpns before)

IG 2k List
HQ- CCS, Regimental Standard, Vox, Lascannon

Troop - Platoon 1
PCS, 2x Melta
Chimera
5x Infantry Squads, 2x Rockets, Commisar and vox (all 5 combined in 1 squad)

Troop - Platoon 2
PCS, Chimera, 2x melta
3x Infantry Squads, 3x melta, 3x Chimera

Fast
Devil Dog, Multi-melta

Fast
Vendetta

Heavy
3x Leman Russ Battle Cannon

Heavy
Manticore

Heavy
Demo tank

The Leman Russ Battle cannon tanks hang back behind the 50 man squad, the 50 man squad is supported by the CCS with the regimental standard and vox. This group sits on objective while blasting light armor and infantry.

Manticore sits away from the big squad and blasts AV14 vehicles and maybe survives 1 or 2 turns as its a priority target. The vendetta comes in and takes his place as armor buster around turn 3 or 4.

The chimeras, devil dog and demo tank rush up the field.

Any ideas on anything would be appreciated, this is a new concept for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-13, 04:14 AM

CE5511's Flag is: USA

Your list is different from what I am used to too but looks fairly solid. I only have a few minor suggestions and a question.

My question is why does the command squad for first platoon have melta guns? Aren't they going to sit back and issue orders to their platoon? So would that mean the melta guns are only a deterrent for vehicles maybe? Nothing wrong there, i'm just curious.

Only things I have to suggest would be to maybe drop the rocket launchers for auto cannons as they will have more shots thus a better chance to hit. But thats just preference, and you may actually get good rolls. But I wouldnt mind seeing more heavy weapons in that platoon since they are sitting back anyways. Adding a defense line would be incredibly helpful here too, that 4+ cover really helpful, a quad gun the same. And Marbo, like every other list, wouldnt be to far out of place either.

I have no experience with the Devil Dog, how does it play for you?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply CE5511.

The PCS from Platoon 1 is actually rolling along with Platoon 2 to add to the chimera presence, the CCS can more than take care of Platoon 1 orders wise.

As for devil dogs, I have never ever got a chance to fire this thing, I've fielded it only 4 times since I got it and it was always blown away before I could get it in range. My tactic was to hide it behind the melta chimeras while driving it up field and if they wanna blow it up I get a cover save and if the save fails the hull doesn't get in the way of my chimeras as it is behind them.

I would like to consider your auto can switch, but have never used them, how do they do against rhinos/chimera/dark elder transport. My idea was to pop transports with Platoon1(I had 5 rockets in the platoon at first but it was to costly for what the purpose was), if the auto cans are good for this I will switch out. The CCS with VOX support almost guarantees my chance for re roll against vehicle, so to hit is not my big concern, Penetrating or glancing is. I have an Aegis d line so fielding that is an option especially for skyfire but what to switch out?(probably devil dog) as for Marbo, me and this guy got a history, he was my first model and I have a huge IG catachan force because of that, it was hard for me to keep him out of this list but I had to do it. I didn't want any elites in this list because it is more of a spam list, otherwise he would be there.

Thanks again and let me know your experience with autocannon over other hvy wpns.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 09:36 PM

BornCanEmo's Flag is: Canada

The Autocannons will tear apart Rhinos/Land Speeders, Anything Eldar or Dark Eldar, Ork Truckks and they can glance av12 on 5s so you have a potential to deal with Dreadnoughts, Chimeras, and Battlewagons. They are the most versatile weapon you can get for taking out light to medium vehicles. I would suggest that you get a heavy weapon team or two of just autocannons and take out the heavy weapons in the squads. Put the HWTs behind the defense line and they will get there cover saves and make them a threat to any light or medium vehicle on the board
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 11:15 PM

CE5511's Flag is: USA

Statistically you will be doing just a little better with the autocannon, plus with two shots your looking at a greater pontential to roll more to wounds or pen. The beauty of the Missile Launcher is its AP3, great for killing marines, plus its blast ability. Now you have both of those abilities and more in your heavy slots so I will be blunt, there is almost no reason to keep the missiles. However they may work out better for you for some other reason, Play test the autocannons a few games and see how you like them.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-13, 09:06 AM

JelloSea's Flag is: USA

I think your going to have a hard time taking and holding objectives.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-13, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JelloSea View Post
I think your going to have a hard time taking and holding objectives.
Why would you think that, just wondering if you have a reason or just thinking out loud?

Also, i will be taking out the rockets and adding 3 auto cannons to the big squad, i will play test having the hvy wpn team in the platoon and out, see which is more effective. Its 45 pts more to separate them, so i have to do some shuffling.

Thanks guys, learning about the auto cannons was valuable.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-13, 02:38 AM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

I think it looks decent.

So looks as though you are playing hammer and anvil style, with that 50 man blob as anvil and the leman's being the hammer.

Interesting you are using normal infantry squads inside chimeras: Have toyed with that myself now I am feeling that Veterans are not as durable anymore (due to chimeras being fairly easy to glance to death): I think quantity over quality could be the way forward. You have 5 Chimeras which is 15 hull points in total, plus a 50 man blob and a lot of tanks: I think target prioritisation will be difficult for your opponents.

But...where is Marbo? 65pts of distraction and fear. Totally worth it.

Also, I would feel happier with more troop choices at this points level: A minimum of 5, preferably 6 though. 1 troop choice for every 500pts was okay in 5th edition, but I like to add +1 or +2 to the total, because it's now so objective dominated. I realise you do technically have 6 choices, but some are weak (PCS's).......This is maybe more my personal preferences though. I like slightly less tanks and more infantry in my lists, but that's just how I roll.

Also, totally agree you really should consider autocannons - still a great weapon in 6th edition, especially if you saturate. I always take them in my blobs now, as they can snap fire on the move if you need to go mobile, then a couple of flamers to counter any assaults on top, maybe some grenade launchers (underrated - great against landspeeders and the like).

Finally: I strongly recommend putting a naked PCS in your Vendetta: People tend to forget about them, and you can then drop them on an objective on the last turn! It has saved my ass on a few occasions. 30pts well spent!

SF
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-13, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

All right with all of the feedback and a little shuffling around i have come up with this:

HQ: CCS, regi standard, vox, LasC

Elite: Marbo

Heavy: Leman Russ w/ Heavy Bolter Spons.

Heavy: Leman Russ w/ Heavy Bolter Spons.

Heavy: Manticore

Fast: Vendetta

Platoon1: PCS (naked in Vendetta)

5 x Infantry w/ 3 x auto cannon, commisar and vox

Platoon 2: PCS Chimera w/ 4x melta

5 x Infantry 5 x Melta 5 x Chimera

I took out 2 rockets, Demo tank, devil dog and PCS Cimera. I added 3 auto cannons, Marbo, 2 more infantry w/chimera Not sure if the PCS can stay in reserve in the Vendetter when the Infantry squads do not. Did you mean for me to put one whole platoon in reserve? If so i can not and must leave Vendetta empty or run a third platoon and put 2 chimera infantry in reserve. LMK.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-13, 01:55 PM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

No, you can leave the PCS in the vendetta in reserve. The rest of your infantry squads in that platoon can start on the board. Each squad counts as a separate unit in terms of deployment and objectives.

I like the revamped list, a nice mix between blob and mech.

Although one problem: It is pointless having HB sponsons on the LRBT's as they can only snap fire them when you fire your battle cannon (dunno if you knew about this FAQ nerf? It sucks..). I'd use the points to buy x2 more autocannons in your 50 man blob, and maybe a flamer or two (though the flamers aren't mandatory).
Also, you could do with more anti-flier options incase your vendetta doesn't come on until turn 4. But that said, you could just buy an Astropath and get +1 to your reserve rolls, because since you have Marbo and a Vendetta it could be a good points investment. Getting that Vendetta on early would negate the need to buy anti-flier options such as a quad gun, icarus lascannon etc.

I really like this list style though. Let us know how it goes.

SF

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode