Lots of help requested - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-13, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

CE5511's Flag is: USA

Default Lots of help requested

Yup! One final try at this. Im still trying to refine this list to get the most firepower I can. 2500 point competitive list with allies, but I am at a loss of who I should take for allies. Firstly I would love to get the IG portion down. Here is what I have.

CCS-180 points
-Astropath
-3 plasma guns
-Chimera

Marbo-65 points

Storm Troopers (5men)-105 points
-2 melta guns

Storm Troopers (5men)-105 points
-2 melta guns

Vandetta-130 points
Vandetta-130 points
Vandetta-130 points

Medusa-135 points
Medusa-135 points
Medusa (2)-270 points

Vets-155 points
-3 melta guns
-chimera

vets-170 points
3 plasma guns
-chimera

Infantry platoon-180 points
-PCS
-3 infantry squads
PCS holds objective behind defense line. each infantry squad embarks in vandetta for last minute objective grab.

Ageis Defense Line-70 points
-Comms relay

points total- 1960
free points- 540

My overall goal is overwhelming firepower and surgical strikes against his key units so I can drop my infantry squads on objectives un-harassed.

Would Heavy Weapons teams be good here? Deploy 2 heavy bolter teams each in a chimera with camo netting behind the defense line, and 2 mortar teams behind them. This would run 420 points but would throw down 30 heavy bolter shots and 6 mortar rounds per turn and would be very resiliant.

Last edited by CE5511; 04-19-13 at 02:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-13, 06:10 PM

Here is my advice (Imperial Guard 3 years) on how to fine tune that list:

CCS: 2x Plasma, Rocket Launcher, Officer of the Fleet, Chimera w/ heavy stubber.

Elite: Marbo is good )but does not create a lot of fire power, he is a well placed demo charge is all.)

Elite: The stormtrooper squads should do well as they are versatile but you can always exchange them for vets and put them in your vendettas to get an extra melta gun and maybe a demo charge for near the same cost and get a lot more fire power.

Fast: 3 x Vendetta- you can run into trouble here if the opponent has lite armor presence, maybe keep one a valkrye but put the rocket pods and have 2 vendetta.

Heavy: 4 medusa, the glass cannon, if it survives long enough it will wipe out any unit and do it well but can get blown up easy. Suggest running them in a squad of three and putting a leman russ or two in your other slots, or squad of three leman russ(basic battle cannons) and 1 and 1 medusa. Also, the manticore is very good at taking out av14 Maybe > 3 medusa, 1 Manticore and 1-3 leman Russ Battle Cannon.

Troop: vets w/ melta and chimera, add a Autocannon or rocket. Same with the Plasma vet squad.

Platoon: I assume your Platoon is riding in the vendettas- so eliminate one troop> PCS, 2x troops. That's three squads one for each vendetta, maybe put a heavy bolter or auto cannon in each of these squads so they can fire shots while capturing objectives (maybe even a sniper or grenade launcher if you have an extra 15 points or so).

Fort: Aegis line and comms link> I took out the astropath because having comms link and him is overkill, so alternatively you can keep astropath and exchange comms link for quad gun and get some skyfire.( its either re roll or 2+, not both unless you feel necessary.)

Allies: Space Marine, Dark Angel or chaos daemaons.

Hope this helps and doesn't take away too much from your style of play. Good luck and have fun!!!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-13, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input EQUAL, and welcome.

I'm seriously considering most of your advice. Good call on the excess anti-armor, I will change that. I will also change my artillery situation. I do have one question. Why add heavy weapons teams to the CCS and vet squads if they are going to be moving around most of the time?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-13, 08:10 AM

JelloSea's Flag is: USA

I use GK. When they deep strike I send forward normal infantry platoons in chimeras. The enemy has to deal with the strike squads as they are a huge threat. Infanty squads for scoring and they let the knights push farther forward.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-13, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE5511 View Post
Thanks for the input EQUAL, and welcome.

I'm seriously considering most of your advice. Good call on the excess anti-armor, I will change that. I will also change my artillery situation. I do have one question. Why add heavy weapons teams to the CCS and vet squads if they are going to be moving around most of the time?
I overlooked that you were jamming them up field and not keeping them back ;).
Even if the chimeras are going to be running around you should have the heavy weapons, snap shot the heavy weapon if you have moved but once you are in position having the heavy weapon can be a life saver, ie. your chimera blows up midfield and vets have no range with meltas better than charging them on foot to your enemy start blasting them with a rocket and draw them to you, I guess you can say its a plan B for you so it is optional and not necessary.

Also, another CCS in chimera with plaz/melta and power fist might do something for ya if you wanna bypass the heavy weapons.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-13, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JelloSea View Post
I use GK. When they deep strike I send forward normal infantry platoons in chimeras. The enemy has to deal with the strike squads as they are a huge threat. Infanty squads for scoring and they let the knights push farther forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EQUAL3y3 View Post
Even if the chimeras are going to be running around you should have the heavy weapons, snap shot the heavy weapon if you have moved but once you are in position having the heavy weapon can be a life saver, ie. your chimera blows up midfield and vets have no range with meltas better than charging them on foot to your enem
I can get behind these ideas. Doubt I will use grey knights but Marines none the less. And thats one of the reasons for the Vandettas, Stormtroopers and Marbo, they distract after they destroy a threatening unit. If points allow I would love to throw in Blood Angels or a small Chaos contingent.

I dont think I will put a heavy weapon on my CCS or even bring another in (I think 3 units of plasma guys running around is a bit much here). My infantry squads should be in the vandettas until the last turn or so, if I have spare points I will give them an Autocannon. Vets for sure! I dont lose a man who could use a melta or plasma gun, plus they could very well be sitting still for a turn or so or rush early on for an objective.

Here's what I have

CCS-180 points
-Astropath
-3 plasma guns
-Chimera

Marbo- 65 points
Stormtroopers (5 men)-105 points
-2 melta guns
Stormtroopers (5 men)-105 points
-2 melta guns

Medusa-135 points
Medusa-135 points
Leman Russ Battle Tank-170 points
-Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Vandetta-130 points
Vandetta-130 points
Valkyrie-130
-Multiple Rocket Pods

Veterans-180 points
-3 plasma guns
-Autocannon
-Chimera

Veterans-165 points
-3 Melta Guns
-Autocannon
-Chimera

PCS-50 points
-Autocannon
-2 Grenade Launchers

Infantry squad-50 points
Infantry squad-50 points
Infantry squad-50 points
Sit in the fliers. Late game objective grabbers

Ageis Defense Line-70 points
-Comms Relay

1900 points total

600 points remaining.

Last edited by CE5511; 04-20-13 at 04:06 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-13, 12:10 PM

JelloSea's Flag is: USA

Marines are good allies for ig. Sm get to use each others bonuses. Drop pods could be cool.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-13, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JelloSea View Post
Marines are good allies for ig. Sm get to use each others bonuses. Drop pods could be cool.
What bonuses? You mean like vulkans tactics or strakens aura? I didnt think they could
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-13, 01:08 AM

Sisters with celestine and flamer seraphim are nice, space wolves with thier spec rules allow you too take 2 rune priests instead of the usual 1 ally hq, and its really hard to beat grey hunters and long fangs are sweet behind an adl. Also some plauge marines to sit on objectives are down right scary AND with chaos you get the hell drake. And last but not least the Grey Knights are super good also.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode