Shoot Down the Necrons! 2'000 points. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-12, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

The Sullen One's Flag is: United Kingdom

Shoot Down the Necrons! 2'000 points.

(Originally this said something very stupid, so for reasons of vanity I've deleted it) Having read the 'who needs skill?' thread and seen some of the comments, I wanted to see if I could come up with a decent list that would render that one null and void

CCS, Autocannon team, Master of Ordanance Plasma Gun, Grenade Launcher - 110 points.

Platoon 1 - 195 points:
PCS, Autocannon team.
Combined infantry squad, 20 Guardsmen, 2 Autocannon Teams, Commissar.

Platoon 2 - 195 points:
PCS, Autocannon team.

2 Devil Dogs - 240 points.

3 Hydra Flak Tanks - 225 points.

My painting log - Misadventures of a Cack-Handed Painter: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=93419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gochu85
I am enjoying all of your articles. Thank you for your help. I hope I can use your tactics along with what I learn from experience to strike fear of green in to my enemies hearts.

Last edited by The Sullen One; 08-18-12 at 08:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-12, 05:32 AM

As I haven't played against the Necrons since they changed the Codex I'll be interested to see how you fair against them. I do like the combined squads with two autocannons, but is your plan to run a gun line or bubble wrap your vehicles? In my experience agains Necrons, lasguns are about useless so it seems like vets with harder hitting weapons or more armor may be needed. Just my opinion though.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-12, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

The Sullen One's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb200 View Post
As I haven't played against the Necrons since they changed the Codex I'll be interested to see how you fair against them. I do like the combined squads with two autocannons, but is your plan to run a gun line or bubble wrap your vehicles? In my experience agains Necrons, lasguns are about useless so it seems like vets with harder hitting weapons or more armor may be needed. Just my opinion though.
I've played them once at a much smaller level (500pt doubles) and in that case the guy had gone for an eggs in one basket trick with a 300pt Overlord which worked out pretty well. This list though was more about seeing what people thought of massed hydras as a counter to nine doomscythes, but thanks for commenting.

My painting log - Misadventures of a Cack-Handed Painter: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=93419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gochu85
I am enjoying all of your articles. Thank you for your help. I hope I can use your tactics along with what I learn from experience to strike fear of green in to my enemies hearts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-12, 09:32 AM

khrone forever's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: lived on tyran, moved to occulus, then to macragge.DAMN THE TYRANIDS!!! (near derby)

i dont see the point in taking 6 devil dogs, as blast weapons cant hit flyers

40Kprayers and benedictions

see my guard army here

see my Empire army
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-12, 05:35 AM

LordofFenris's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sullen One View Post
(Originally this said something very stupid, so for reasons of vanity I've deleted it) Having read the 'who needs skill?' thread and seen some of the comments, I wanted to see if I could come up with a decent list that would render that one null and void

CCS, Autocannon team, Master of Ordanance Plasma Gun, Grenade Launcher - 110 points.
Don't mix weapons. Go both Plasma Guns, or both Grenade Launchers. I suggest Plasma.

Platoon 1 - 195 points:
PCS, Autocannon team.
Be super careful with that commissar. One mistake and the Platoon Commander is gone.

Platoon 2 - 195 points:
PCS, Autocannon team.
Same as above

While Devil Dogs are fun, this role can be done by melta vets in chimeras for cheaper, and they will put more melta shots on target

I love Hydra's, but remember, if you have little to no flyers to target these guys are hitting on 6's, not fun even with twin linked

"Take a moment, please. Ponder the depths of your insignificance."

"It would be disappointing if you were unable to overcome this simplest of defenses. Hilarious, but disappointing."

Crimson Fists (C:SM)
Necrons
Khorne Daemonkin

Other
WARMAHORDES (Skorne, Blindwater Congregation, Retribution of Scyrah)
DROPZONE COMMANDER (PHR)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-12, 08:23 PM

What's the point in having a tailored list just for flyers? Mostly talking about the hydras.

Wife: "How much do you have invested in these ... miniatures?"

Me: "I don't think invested is the right word."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-12, 09:53 PM

CE5511's Flag is: USA

I think you could do just as well if you have just a pair of Hydras in each squadren. Plus why not go with Vandettas instead of devil dogs, that way you could target fliers and ground targets just as easy if not easier
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-12, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE5511 View Post
I think you could do just as well if you have just a pair of Hydras in each squadren. Plus why not go with Vandettas instead of devil dogs, that way you could target fliers and ground targets just as easy if not easier
Vedettas instead of hydras in the list you mean (I know they aren't the same FoC slot). As CE5511 said they are good against flyers and ground, wher the hydras are only good against flyers.

Wife: "How much do you have invested in these ... miniatures?"

Me: "I don't think invested is the right word."
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-12, 11:18 PM

davespil's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE5511 View Post
I think his point is he could kill a Necron Doomscythe spam list with no fliers. This is not a competative list unless he's playing against a very flier heavy list. Just a list to show that they are beatable. Sure, you can beat any list if you custom tailor against it. But in a well rounded non-tailored list you'd never take 9 hydras. Probably not even 3. I'd have thrown two ageis defense lines in there with quad guns just for maximum over-kill of all things flying. That being said, I want to hear the results of you match with a guy that brings 9 flyers to the table.

Personally my anti-flyer list contains a bunch of flyers in it. Fight fire with fire...

Have guns, will travel...

Last edited by davespil; 08-27-12 at 11:26 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode