1750 pts Tourny Army - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-12, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

Obinhi's Flag is: USA

Default 1750 pts Tourny Army

Looking for critiques on the following list. I think it should be solid against a varity of armies with out haveing a glareing weakness. When I sat in on a tourny a few months ago I saw a BA DoA list, a necron, a Mostrous Bug army, and another mech guard. Let me know if you have any suggestions, comments or want to insult me personnally. No worrys about the insults, us AMMO troops have thick skin.

The gimmick of the tourny is you get one fast attack choice for free. As the rest of the players will most likely be taking jump troops, I'm just going to plate them as soon as they stop...

Free fast attack choice

3x Scout Sentinel w/lascannons and camonetting and hunter killers (its free anyway)

HQ

CCS (trying not to move this unit, be a fire base)
Plasma pistol power sword
lascannon
2x sniper
master of ord
2 body guards

Lord commissar w/powerfist meltabombs

ELITES

Psyker battle squad 9ea mounted on chimera

Marbo

TROOPS

Vet Sqd 1 shotguns
3x melta
Sgt w/ power fist mounted on chimera

Vet Sqd 2
3x Plasma gun
Sgt w/ power sword mounted on chimera

1st platoon CC
bolt pistol
4x flamers

Squad 1 and 2 (will be combined for the most part)
grenade launcherx2
Commissar w. plasma pistol and power sword

Squad 3 and 4
box standard lasguns only

Heavy wep team 1
2x autocannon
1x lascannon

Heavy wep team 2
3x missile launcher

HEAVY SUPPORT

1 leman russ
Lascannon
sponson HBolters

1Leman russ
Lascannon
Sponson plasma cannon
Knight commander Pask

My total is right on the line and I think I got everything covered. I think Monsters will give me a bit of trouble but I should be able to handle most things. I think 4 plates plus all the various small plates should wreck house on hordes and the las and auto cannons should give tanks and big bad bugs reason to pause. My chimeras are really to wiz around and try and pick up objectives. I cannot think what I should about the psykers if I have to contend with heavy anti psyker units, but I love the idea of another str 9 plate available. As said above let me have it.

The IG are proof that good things come to us who wait. I've been Guard since 3rd ed. I been in the store and remember getting 5 boxes of men (when they came in 20 man boxes) 3 Commissars and praying that I might survive til turn 4. I've stuck it out, and you know what I have to say? WHO'S DYING NOW HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-12, 08:57 AM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

For a tournament list it has too many points spent on Wargear, etc that simply isn't worth that cost...Pask, Power Fists, Power Weapons, Plasma Pistols.

- Pask is overcosted for the extra few shots he grants.
- single PF/PW's do squat, and especially when our men are only S3/WS3 and only 10-strong like those Vet Squads (CCS is worse, even smaller)...if you want a decent cc unit that will actually kill the enemy you need to take a combined 'blob' of 20 or 30 Men and give the Commissar and all Sgts a PW.

I would also drop the Snipers and BG's off the CCS...small units of T3 men die incredibly easily regardless of how many points are spent trying to make that not happen, so the points are best spent elsewhere.

Sniper Rifles are inefficient no matter how you cut it...it takes about 8 shots to cause 1 wound on a MEQ model, and half that on a GEQ, so those 2 will do squat. They do cause Pinning but with the abundance of Fearless, high Leadership and meched-up units it isn't easy to do so....points best spent elsewhere.

So overall I can see about 235 pts that I'd spend on more efficient Weapons and extra Units that will a/ achieve a lot more and b/ be of greater benefit to your list than the Wargear you currently have....perhaps a 3rd HS choice, and/or a Chimera for the PCS. Or a second CCS with 4 SW's (Melta or Plasma), or a 3rd Vet Squad, or more FA choices.

My 2c anyway...best of luck in the Tourney with whatever list you field
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-12, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Hobo. I think I'll keep the snipers, just because the pair only cost me 10 points and thats the squad with the master of ord, which I want to keep as far away from enemy shooting as I can. I will take your advice and drop pask, I was on the fence about him anyway. I have found 135 points in savings and I think I'll put them into some powersword sgts, and maybe another squad or two. I lack the chimeras to put anyone else in them, I only got 3. I'm also dropping a psyker from the squad, 8 is plenty. Anyone else have anything for me, or any comments on the revision?

The IG are proof that good things come to us who wait. I've been Guard since 3rd ed. I been in the store and remember getting 5 boxes of men (when they came in 20 man boxes) 3 Commissars and praying that I might survive til turn 4. I've stuck it out, and you know what I have to say? WHO'S DYING NOW HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-12, 07:42 PM

Antonius's Flag is: United Kingdom

To add to what has already been said by HOBO, i would probably go for armoured sentinels in that free FA slot (may as well make it a damn tough one that can be a tarpitting unit), so that you can weather heavy firepower, and annoy your opponent by shutting down mob(s) at a time with walkers.

On the CCS, you might want to consider giving it a Chimera (Pillbox loadout - ML HB/ Dual HB for the uninitiated), and this totally scraps any need for bodyguards (AV 12 Box is more durable), and gives you a boost in static firepower. This would work out if you got rid of the snipers and the bodyguards (and found a few points elsewhere to shave off). I would perhaps say switch the PBS/Plasmavet Chimera for the CCS (although i wouldn't touch the vets because of contesting/scoring units). Also, i would put the PP on the PC rather than the CC, because he's still BS4 and is more likely to get in range to use it.

I would almost definitely remove pask on the russ - BS4 has considerably less effect on templates than solid slug weapons, and the saving here could go toward a set of plasma sponsons on the other russ (to up gun the tanks to become a prevalent all comers threat).

Oh and also, i'm not sure whether you need an LC and a regular commie (I think HOBO missed this one ). I would probably pair up the squads so that you have 2x 20 man blobs (each with commissar and 1 GL). Basically, i have seen that most people go for the "instastealth option" with Camo Cloaks, but i would probably go for meltaguns and meltabombs to deal with tanks instead of PF's - S6 PF's suck against walkers because they can only glance the damn things - and most IG units have access to krak grenades - almost an exact (if cheaper) equivalent in the AT department. Maybe spend these pts on power weapons on the infantry sgts and the commissars (or integrated HW support??).

Hope that helps (coming from a considerably less experienced IG player than HOBO)
Antonius

General Antonius, Task force Iron Storm cmdr, Cadian 9th Mechanised Infantry Rgt.

WHAT, I CAN'T HAVE MORE THAN SIX MANTICORES!

I'm facing NECRONS
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-12, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Antonious. I think I'll mount the CCS on the PBS chimera. I dont know why I thought I needed the LC. I think it has something to do with useing him to kill a dread lol. The weapon swaps are going down for sure.

I'm going to keep the scout walkers because they can outflank and the tourny setting is a bunch of missions with twists and things in them. I do have to say that I was thinking exactly what you suggested and the better weapons options. I figure that out flanking 3 lascannons will cause some of the more...Emotional players to turn a few units around to deal with them.

I dont know why but I really loath to take out the snipers, what should I take in thier stead. The odyguards are already gone, as well as the powersword and plasma pistol.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-12, 11:57 PM

hardluck57's Flag is: USA

To be honest, almost anything is better than the two snipers. And I don't say it too lightly as I've seen snipers put to good use.

If you're using the CCS Chimera as a pillbox take something with some range. Did you take the LC out of the CCS? If you did, put it back as they can fire as long as the Chimera is static. If you didn't, maybe some plasma? They get one shot at 24" and two at 12".

"No man should escape our universities without knowing how little he knows."
~ J. Robert Oppenheimer

"Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for yourself."
~ Ayn Rand
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-06-12, 12:58 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

@HOBO, in particular - If you check out the latest post on my blog, I discussed a way in which I'd like to see pinning work in 6e that I'd love extra feedback on.

Regarding the list...There are several things I don't like to be honest, but I'll try to discuss things not previously mentioned.

Close Combat Weapon upgrades are ONLY useful in a Blob, you have T3 and piss armour, you simple can't rely on surviving until combat happens, nevermind until your shitty Initiative gets to go, especially with a Fist (which is only S6 anyway, and thereby bollocks. )

Even if combined, squads that provide nothing but Lasguns and not even a Chimera are not actually providing anything to the list. Even a Heavy Bolter would be better, and I hate single HBs on any unit like you wouldn't believe.

Plasma Pistols are massively overcosted, and risk killing you, especially with crappy IG armour saves. This is insane on a Commissar, as he's the single best guy in the unit! lol.

Finally, a free FA? Does it cost points, or COMPLETELY free? If the latter, then it's MoneyHammer, not WarHammer 40k - but even then... You're missing a trick if you could have a free squadron of 3 Vendettas (or, better yet, Devildogs with HF Hulls...)
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-06-12, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

I was thinking plasma, Keeping the LC for sure. I took out the body guards. The reason I am so attached to the snipers is dumb, I looked back at my battle report, they pinned a squad of Kroot for a whole battle once and that convinced me that they were the bees knees. I was just stuck on the CCS being static for the most part but if I mount the unit on the transport it dont matter all that much, as I can move it if need be and still use the plasma.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-06-12, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

@ The King: Ya the reason for the sentinels and not vendettas is that I dont have them and nothing for a proxy. I would get a falcon punch in the nuts if I tried to buy them so that is a non starter for me. But ya, free free free for the fast attack, the flyer for the tourny said something about there being special objectives that will rely on FA so I dont know what that means. Jump Troops and Skimmers are two way diffrent things you know?

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-06-12, 01:37 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Haha, indeed - seems like a poorly thought out, stupid idea, frankly. Ah well, you can only play what's available!

Armoured Sentinels would be more survivable than Vendettas anyway tbh...Just plasticard canopies?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode