2k Mech sans chimeltavets.. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-05-11, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Takana77's Flag is: USA

2k Mech sans chimeltavets..

So another thought process for mech list but w/o overwhelmingly expected chimeltavet spammage. I kept the upgrades very minimal and lean and nothing fancy.

2,000 Points Even

HQ: 155 Points
CCS - MGx4, Chimera (Mlas, HF, HS) - had 10 points left over heh

Troops: 1,005 Points
3x Mechanized Infantry Platoons
- PCS - Flamers x4, Chimera (Mlas, HF)
- IS - HWT (AC), Chimera (Mlas, HB)

Fast Attack: 360 Points
Vendetta
Vendetta
Vendetta

Heavy Support: 450 Points
LRBT - HF
LRBT - HF
LRBT - HF

All the infantry squads are basically mobile pill boxes. Each LRBT gets a picket PCS-Chiflamer to hit anything that wants to assault it. Vendettas do their thing. Not sure whether to send the CCS forward or keep it back as a reactionary unit for things like DS'ing AV/walkers.

Afterwards got to thinking about swaping things around...

HQ: 145 Points
CCS - MG x4, Chimera (Mlas, HF)

Elites: 315 Points
Stormtroopers x5 - MG x2
Stormtroopers x5 - MG x2
Stormtroopers x5 - MG x2

Troops: 670 Points
2x Mechanized Infantry Platoons
- PCS - Flamers x4, Chimera (Mlas, HF)

Fast Attack: 420 Points
Devil Dog - MM, Smokers
Devil Dog - MM, Smokers
Devil Dog - MM, Smokers

Heavy Support: Same

Was thinking this one could try not using 3x vendettas as the perverbial anti-AV crutch and trying devil dogs instead (which I've never used or own for that matter). Last time I tried a DS'ing stormtrooper squad they got their points back. I'd have to get another 2x squads for this list. The list has a whole ton of melta in it and hoping that the reduced AC's will be able to handle transports still. Worried about LR anti-AV but thinking the gank squads can alleviate those concerns some.

Another thing that popped into my mind is that with my mechanized infantry being kept back (instead of chimeltavets which basically suicide) is that they will be kept relatively safe so to say. The top list would have 9 squads/units that can claim objectives (3 of which are pushing forward), but the 2nd one has only 6 that can claim (2 of which are pushing forward) and should/would that be an issue for me or no?

Oh well, suggestions, advice, tips, C&C, etc, are always appreciated.

Thanks,

Tak

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-05-11, 04:42 AM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

Both lists would work well enough...first one overwhelms the enemy's anti-tank capability, meaning that hopefully enough survive to contest Objectives etc.

Second list will rely upon the ST's and DD's getting rid of important priority targets, and both of these units are well built to do just that - ST's can accurately DS in and wipe out their target (they will die afterwards though, so are similar to MeltaVets in that regard, especially once on foot), and 2 AP1 weapons on the DD's are better than one, and don't necessarily need to be within 2D6 range to achieve their goal, which does limit any damage from incoming firepower, as does the SL's.

I think it's good keeping the LRBT's sponsonless as they can assist the DD's and ST's somewhat with mobile firepower support.

So the first list is more capable than the second...but that doesn't make the second list a poor one.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-05-11, 05:28 AM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

I look at your two lists and see one alternative that appeals. Hobo's comment about the first list overwhelming the enemies AT is very true, and I prefer the additional scoring units that it gives you. However in place of the vendettas I would give the devildogs(Bare in this case) a go. Even though the points aren't there for some extra goodies with this many tanks on the field and so many credible threats they should perform well without the extras. In fact dump the stubber and two of them can have smoke launchers.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode