Which heavy weapons on 500 point list? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-11, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Default Which heavy weapons on 500 point list?

Hello all,
Got a list there and was wanting to here your thoughts on which heavy weapons to get. I have read varying thoughts on weapons and I am torn between to particular load outs.

CCS - vanilla CO, LC

PCS - Vanilla PC, LC, 2 GL

IS - Vanilla SGT, AC

IS - Vanilla SGT, AC

Vets - 3 MG, SGT w PP

Valkyrie - MRP, HB sponsons

Now the other load-out I was considering has me swapping the two LC for two ML and adding sniper rifles to the CCS.

Well? Your .02 would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-11, 04:13 AM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

Based on my games here's what I use to determine what HW's to field -

anti - AV10...AC, LC
anti - AV11...LC, AC
anti - AV12...LC, AC
anti - AV13...LC, ML
anti - AV14...LC, ML
anti - GEQ...HB, AC
anti - MEQ...ML, HB, LC
anti - TDA...LC, HB, AC

best, second best, third best

Bear in mind that it depends on what unit I take as to how efficient it is -
Hydra has multiple barrels, as does a HWS, so that makes them better than single weapons.

A Lascannon works well in a CCS because BS4 makes single shot weapons more likely to hit....not so much on a BS3 PCS like you have, so AC fits better.

The rest seems ok although I don't rate GL's and Sniper Rifles myself. Plasma Pistol fits better with Vets with Plasma Guns, but it's not a huge deal.

Cheers!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-11, 05:16 AM

Rems's Flag is: Australia

Given it's 500 points you're unlikely to see any heavy armour so i would defiantly swap out the lascannons for missile launchers. (i personally wouldn't use the lascannons in a larger points game either, im a big believer in torrent fire power, especially with the current state of the game).

Autocannons and missile launchers will deal handily both light to medium vehicles and infantry, what you're going to most likely face at 500 points. If you do run into anything heavy three meltaguns should be more than enough to deal with it.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-11, 05:18 AM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

I cannot argue with Hobo but i will add a little more. Generally i try and keep lascannons out of infantry squads. They are a dedicated at weapon so putting them in a swuad with other non at weapons is a waste of those weapons. As a result lascannons in CCS and PCS work well. On the other hand that can make it innefficient to give them orders. The solution to that is to use a heavy weapon squad. But you really need to protect them because they are instagibbed by strength 6 blasts. As for the others the AC and the ML are both great in infantry squads because of their versatility. If there is nothing for the infantry squad to shoot then they can be used as AT and light AT at long range. When the targets get close they can add their firepower to the salvos of lasguns.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-11, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm so would one ML and 3 AC be sufficient? I am actually at a loss at what to do with the extra points then. I'd add a PP or PW, but I don't really have any units designed for CC. I normally like GL as they give me at least a passing chance at harming tougher units and for the points I can't blame it as I am not sure how to spend that last 35.

I guess I could put the ML in CCS, AC in PCS, remove GLs and PP. After taking that out I could put in a scout sentinel with multilaser.

Wouldn't hurt I guess. A mobile multilaster with move through cover...

Yay? Nay?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-11, 07:58 PM

Imp Blackheart's Flag is: USA

35 points? i would say toss in a SL scout sentinel ;) nothing like cheep AV10 to strengthen a 500 point army

"Our creed is this. We are ready, at any moment, to sacrifice all for victory."
-Colonel Cseke, 15th Krieg Siege Regiment.
( Imperial Armour vol.5 )
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-11, 08:11 PM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp Blackheart View Post
35 points? i would say toss in a SL scout sentinel ;) nothing like cheep AV10 to strengthen a 500 point army
Seconded on a Multi-laser Sentinel...you could boost it to an AC if you dropped the HB's from the Valkyrie. Reason been more to do with the effect those HB's have on the Valkyrie's movement than the firepower they add to it.
The Valkyrie can move 12" and fire the MRP/ML (ML as main weapon, MRP's as Defensive weapons), but can only move half that if you want to fire the HB Sponsons.

Just fyi more than anything else, but that 12" movement is one of the main reasons people choose the Valkyrie over the Vendetta.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-11, 08:16 PM

good catch on the AC hobo, i didnt notice he was using HB sponsons on the valk. only time i use HB's is if im not using MRP's. so i can keep the valk mobile. but overall the list does look solid

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-11, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

My thoughts on the HBs were quite single minded. I had thought to use the scout to move 24" deploy vets to crack the armored carrier (I am just sure there will be some) THEN use the Valk to rain down two blast templates and 9 shots (3 from each HB and 3 from ML) on the hopefully then emerged unit. After that I'll be impressed if either live.

Is this tatica outdated or flawed?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-11, 08:35 PM

none of thee above, it is very effective if your not expecting the units to live, not only that, but say perhaps they do survive, you can always re-collect them and move on. i personally love the tactic and will preach it till the cows come home!

but each players tactic is diff.

and at 500 points, there wont be that much on a table to take out your valk, so if you take out the weapons that can hurt it, itll live, vets on the other hand is anyones game.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode