Retire Old Vets + Give Poor Players a Chance - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-08-11, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Retire Old Vets + Give Poor Players a Chance

Homebrew rules are wonderful but the Rabid Gerbil would like to suggest thinking about another angle some may not dwell on that much...

"FUN FOR EVERY PERSON"

Everyone wants to win, buts it's no fun to be *constantly* trampled under foot. So three ideas here:

1) The Rabid Gerbil has heard of a Warmachine group that holds tournaments where the leading warcaster is honored by being "retired" off the field, thus giving others a chance in future games in case of some gamebreaking ability lies within the figure.

Homebrew rules are wonderful, but seem to come with the danger of creating all powerful hero figures that are like setting a Jedi in a group of battledroids...

2) Not everyone is created equal... perhaps in a Politically correct world it's a shock to say but some folks don't have the best figures or the player isn't on a skill level of the opponent. The next game between the two players a suggestion would be to consider giving a few more points to the loser of the last game. The superior player can see it as an honor and a challenge, while the other player can have a chance to not be wiped off the board... to have a chance to win a game too.

3) finally the design of custom homebrew games and armies themselves. Don't fall into the double edged chainsword trap of developing more and more overpowering figures. Even Superman had a weakness. Keep a bit of randomness and/or design some weakness into the army and figures. The urge to want a tank with 20 armor on all four sides sweeps over all, but it's a shallow victory in the end and may not to be such an enjoyable game for people playing against it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-09-11, 02:29 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

I don't know what the Rabid Gerbil is on about, but would like to suggest that players who always lose ask for and listen to and indeed follow advice from the players that beat them.

Skills can be learned.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-09-11, 03:00 AM

KingOfCheese's Flag is: Australia

(This post isn't directed at anyone in particular. Just players in general)

Look at it this way......

A game finishes, and one player slaughters the other player.

Should the winning player be thinking....
A) "I think next game i should make mistakes and play poorly to give him a chance"
B) "Maybe i should point out a couple of things to help him with his game"

Should the losing player be thinking...
A) "My opponent is a dick, and he should be playing with less points so i can win too"
B) "I can see that my game needs improving, and should be an enjoyable aim for me to work towards"

In my opinion, both answers should be "B".

I know there are people out there that only play "powerful" lists to win with minimal skill involved, but these people are less common than you might think.

On the other end of the scale, there are a LOT of people who are quite terrible with their tactics, and have trouble thinking multiple turns ahead or calculating mathhammer.
Rather than trying to improve their game, they find it easier to complain about the better players being "jerks".

It would be like going to a poker game, and getting smashed by some of the big names, and then demanding that we have a rematch except they have to show their cards at all times.

I am dead against the WAAC players, but i am also dead against the people who show no effort to improve their game and would rather complain about it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion > Houserules and Homebrews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode