Ogryn How would you change them? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-11, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Default Ogryn How would you change them?

Simple how would you change Ogryn to make them justifiable to there points cost my idea

4+ armour save and feel no pain
Ripper guns strength 5 assault 5

The ability to be dropped out of a low flying plane
deep strike rules but they each take a dangerous terrain test and always scatter.

what can you do to them to justify a terminator's point cost?

EDIT: this probably belongs in rules discussion so I have called a mod to fix it.

My Deceiver is a shard of the true thing and yet has killed
Draigo
Lysander and countless marines

Last edited by aboytervigon; 01-07-11 at 11:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-11, 02:16 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well, I would give them FnP, a T of 6, and keep the 5+ save. They'd also gain an A and an I.

I think that might do it. Needs testing.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-11, 03:33 AM

misinformed's Flag is: USA

I would enjoy to have things nicer on them, but honestly, the reason they cost as much as a termie is because the guard is not a CC force typically. As such, having a unit that provides that for us should be overpriced. That all being said, if you are going to adjust them, I would remove the conflict with Righteous Fury. As far as the armour save, number of attacks, and the ripper gun, those should remain the same.

Some other things to point out though...
-The Ogryn have a toughness of 5. So, the melta that insta kills termies, doesn't on Ogryns. Also, this makes it harder for weapons to inflict the wound in the first place (though a melta would still need the 2+ roll).
-The Ogryn comes with 3 wounds compared to the termies stock 1 wound.
-The Ogryn strikes in initiative order with his strength 5 versus the termies striking last with strength 8 stock.
-The Ogryn has Furious Charge and Suborn versus And they shall know no fear and Combat Tactics.
-Ripper gun versus Storm Bolter stock.

Main reason I defend the current version of the Ogryn is simply because they have always done exactly what I expected and have been worth their point for me. Just got to know how to deploy/utlize them. This is all dependent on your opponent, tactical ideas, and terrain layout.

Last edited by misinformed; 01-08-11 at 03:48 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-11, 03:37 AM

jaws900's Flag is: England

eaither FNP OR a 4+ save and if the latter then they need T6 as well. Then they might be good.....oh and let the blooming Priest have effect with them

"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."

People i have turned into Chaos Spawn
Marneus Calgar
Pedro Kantor
Terminator Chaplin
Terminator Apothecary
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-11, 03:43 AM

Either lower their points cost to 30 or give them initiative 3, carapace armour, as well as feel no pain. That plus the Bone 'ead some weapons options such as a PW or a PF, so that they can have some utility besides anti-horde.

My advice to you is to get married, if you have a good wife you'll be happy; if you get a bad one you'll become a philosopher.

In the grim darkness of the future the economy has even hit daemons, The Changeling is working at White Castle and Skarbrand is giving head in the alley next to Fateweaver's.You ever receive fellatio from a rhyming demon? It's a bad scene man.

Sticking your junk into a fang-filled mouth that breathes fire doesn't strike me as particularly smart.
Which is why that option should be available to any willing to take it.

In fact, there should be fang-faced, firebreathing demons on every streetcorner offering to pay 100 dollars to give BJ's. The gene pool would be vastly better off without anyone incapable of thinking it through.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-11, 04:23 AM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

While they would be fielded more if they were cheaper, had FNP or a 4+ save, access to a PW, and the Ripper gun had an AP value, I just take Yarrick to boost their overall effectiveness and only use them in really high point games or Apoc. A Priest able to effect them would also be fantastic....maybe in the next IG Codex in 10 years

New models would be nice to..something akin to FW's Berserkers would be swe-eet.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-11, 04:31 AM
Curiouser and Curiouser

If T6 represents the "toughness" of characters then no way in hell that fits with ogryn imo. That would put it on par with trygons which is ridiculous. I think the aforementioned suggestions of FNP, cheaper cost, etc would be all that is needed to vastly improve the models.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-11, 05:08 AM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

Drop their points just a hair. Otherwise they're golden IMHO.

Strange, but not a Stranger.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-11, 05:16 AM
visit roleplay threads!

unxpekted22's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by misinformed View Post
I would enjoy to have things nicer on them, but honestly, the reason they cost as much as a termie is because the guard is not a CC force typically. As such, having a unit that provides that for us should be overpriced. That all being said, if you are going to adjust them, I would remove the conflict with Righteous Fury. As far as the armour save, number of attacks, and the ripper gun, those should remain the same.

Some other things to point out though...
-The Ogryn have a toughness of 5. So, the melta that insta kills termies, doesn't on Ogryns. Also, this makes it harder for weapons to inflict the wound in the first place (though a melta would still need the 2+ roll).
-The Ogryn comes with 3 wounds compared to the termies stock 1 wound.
-The Ogryn strikes in initiative order with his strength 5 versus the termies striking last with strength 8 stock.
-The Ogryn has Furious Charge and Suborn versus And they shall know no fear and Combat Tactics.
-Ripper gun versus Storm Bolter stock.

Main reason I defend the current version of the Ogryn is simply because they have always done exactly what I expected and have been worth their point for me. Just got to know how to deploy/utlize them. This is all dependent on your opponent, tactical ideas, and terrain layout.
yes I agree with this and deathklokk

You can never be prepared for the unexpected

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-11, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

True but I still believe they deserve feel no pain if not a better armour save.

My Deceiver is a shard of the true thing and yet has killed
Draigo
Lysander and countless marines

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion > Houserules and Homebrews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode