Deep Strike Homebrew - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-10, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Atsuno11's Flag is: Canada

Default Deep Strike Homebrew

Well, lets get it out of the way right now...I HATE the deep strike rules currently. In the world of 40k, with specialized technologies and skilled combatants, my troops can still be scattered to the wind when dropping in, tunneling upwards, etc. with alarming regularity. Sure, the odd missdrop makes sense, but...it happens so frequently and can be so costly, especially in todays terrain heavy world.

So, basically I'm working on a total overhaul of the systems for games with my friends and would appreciate any help!

Deep Striking New Rules-

Scattering/Landing onto Enemy Units- Should a deep striking unit scatter on to or choose to land upon an enemy unit, they're is a great deal of risk to both sides. The squad being landed upon suffers wounds equal to the number of soldiers in the deep striking unit. The strength of the hits is equal to the strength of the deep strikers +1

However, this unit may make a free shooting attacks(barring limitations) against the newly arrived unit. After which, both units of locked in melee with the deep strikers receiving the charge bonus.

Example-
A squad of 10 Assault Marines deploy via deep strike. They choose to land upon a squad of 20 ork shoota boys. The orks suffer 10 str 5 (4+1) wounds. 4 orks are killed in the explosive arrival of the marines. The orks ,however, do fire upon the marines with all shootas(even those who were killed. They got to shoot before the marines landed on them) and kill 1 single marine. The two units are then engaged in close combat, with the assault marines recieving the bonus attacks for charging.

"Wherever you tread, tread lightly. We are closer than you think, and our blades are sharp."

"We are coming. Look to the skies for your salvation."

"In the darkness all men are equal, save those that embrace it."

-Captain Kayvaan Shrike, Raven Guard 3rd Company
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-10, 07:48 AM

That does sound alot more realistic, but gives armies like daemons quite an advantage being able to deep strike and assualt (even after shooting casualties, that can be nasty).

I can read your mind. Right now you think I'm lying.

games from August 2009 - now
w/d/l
21/4/6

Check out my black legion W.I.P

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-10, 08:04 AM

Necrosis's Flag is: Canada

Well done, you've just managed to get an instant win against Tau and Guard armies.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-10, 08:07 AM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

hmm... I know you're trying to make the deepstrike rules a bit better, but this makes deepstrikers way too over powered. Quite simply, with these rules I'd be trying to deepstrike onto units whenever possible, because being instantly in combat with charging bonuses AND causing hits onto the other unit automatically would make terminators rein supreme. It's doubleplus good if the enemy has no shooting weapons, or only crappy ones - you'll take no wounds, and in return get massive benifits.

I think you'll need to go back and think about some huge penelties for the deepstriking unit to balance it - if you land on an enemy unit, it's a mistake, it shouldn't be a tactic. Being shot at is not a drawback remember, as usually the entire army, and not just one squad, has the option to shoot at the unit the turn after anyway.

You could make this sort of thing a special ability for a squad - a homebrew upgrade to normal deepstrikers, but to balance it you'd need to pay at least 50% extra per squad, so a 40point terminator becomes 60 points, or something similarly drastic to bring their cost inline with their abilities.

anyway, just my 2c

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

Last edited by maddermax; 02-10-10 at 08:16 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-10, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Atsuno11's Flag is: Canada

Yah, I wrote that last night. It sounded great at the time! >.<

I like the shooting part, probably reduce the deepstrike impact wounds to half (rounding down) and remove the charge bonus. (If you landed on the enemy, I'm sure it'd be just as startling too you as well!)

Thoughts?

"Wherever you tread, tread lightly. We are closer than you think, and our blades are sharp."

"We are coming. Look to the skies for your salvation."

"In the darkness all men are equal, save those that embrace it."

-Captain Kayvaan Shrike, Raven Guard 3rd Company
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-10, 06:54 AM

Zeromus316's Flag is: Canada

Me and my friends found the DS rule a little bit too retarded as well and after trying many different things, we found that the best solution was to simply reduce any scatter distance roll by the highest BS in the DS-ing unit. It made sense to us that most deep striking units would have some sort of control of where they're landing using whatever technologies, so using the regular blast marker rules to determine it's position seemed fair and reasonable.

As our last breath tears at their lungs, and as we rise again from the ruins of our cities, They will know... WE'RE NOT GOING ANYWHERE!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-10, 08:28 AM

jonkey's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsuno11 View Post
I like the shooting part, probably reduce the deepstrike impact wounds to half (rounding down) and remove the charge bonus. (If you landed on the enemy, I'm sure it'd be just as startling too you as well!)

Thoughts?
i think if you ar atttacking from the sky you have no time to prepare your self..
and your attention will go to the landing(remember if you are dropping you want to do it fast ,for every second you ar in the sky you risk being shot)
so in game terms

the ground unit sees the assauting unit
*the ground unit gets to shoot at it
*the ground unit must take a morale check or fall back
if not falling back
*the ground unit gains the counter-attack special rule
*the deep-striking unit count as having Initiative 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeromus316 View Post
Me and my friends found the DS rule a little bit too retarded as well and after trying many different things, we found that the best solution was to simply reduce any scatter distance roll by the highest BS in the DS-ing unit. It made sense to us that most deep striking units would have some sort of control of where they're landing using whatever technologies, so using the regular blast marker rules to determine it's position seemed fair and reasonable.
zero mus... I think your BS having nothing to do with "can I land on that exact spot"
so better to use your initiative

just my 1 euro

Last edited by jonkey; 02-23-10 at 08:34 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-10, 10:11 AM
The Omnipotent

CaptainFatty's Flag is: Australia

I think they're fine the way they are. The deep striking unit is dropping into combat under fire - they would be a bit too stressed to pick an exact spot to land. When they land they need to take the time to unholster their weapons and/or get on their feet - in which they can be butchered

In game terms if you take the risk to land near an opponents unit you better be ready for the consequences - whether it be your own stupidity or the will of the dice gods.

I am the devourer of worlds and the plunderer of planets. I am the bane of races, the destroyer of intelligence. I am the omnipotent and you will all bow before me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion > Houserules and Homebrews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode