homebrew IG orders. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-09, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Engelus's Flag is: USA

Default homebrew IG orders.

today during my first game with the new IG codex, my friend and I were discussing homebrew orders and how fun they could be. heres one he came up with

"get out and push" target Immobilised vehicle immediately moves d6 inches but may not shoot that turn, as the crew must get out and push and doesnt have time to operate the weaponry. Vehicle is assumed to have a LD of 8. may not target walkers as they would just fall over.

and these I made up.

"stay on target" squad which fired last turn may add 1 to thier BS if they fire at the same target.

"don't fire till you see the whites of thier eyes" target infantry unit measures distance first before firing, if target is out of range, they may fire at a different target instead, but only one choice, if second target is still out of range no firing will take place. squad may still assault in the assault phase if they are somehow able to.

"RUN AWAY" target infantry unit immediately falls back 3d6 inches, but may not shoot this turn, assault or go to ground.

"get to the choppa!" target infantry unit immediately runs d6 inches towards the nearest valkyrie or vendetta and gets in if it is within 2 inches.

"wait for it...wait for it" target infantry unit automatically passes next LD or morale check they are required to make even if this turns out to be another order next turn

so, post'em if ya got'em.

~ Engelus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-09, 11:49 PM

This needs to be moved to the 40K Homebrew Rules Section, as it's currently in the Fantasy one. Other than that it looks interesting, Not too overpowered it seems like, just interesting.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-09, 01:29 AM

killmaimburn's Flag is: USA

I've got some more orders:

Advance and lay down suppressing fire!
a squad that receives this order may fire weaponry as if it had not moved.This does not permit it to assault. This may also not be used to permit the Master of Ordnance to fire despite having moved. Heavy weapons fired in this way will hit on a -1 modifier of the firer's BS, so a normal heavy weapons team will hit on a 5+ rather than a 4+. The squad receiving this order fires at the closest enemy unit.
Senior officers only.
a senior officer can issue this order, representing their knowledge of the battlefield and viewing the entire picture. It allows footslogging IG to be a little more mobile and helps reposition heavy weapons (at a cost, albeit a reduced one)

Headshots only!
A squad receiving this order will count its lasgun, laspistol, hot-shot lasgun, and hot-shot laspistol shots as AP2 on a roll of 6 to hit. However, shots taken in this way will only hit on a 5+. A squad receiving this order may count its shotgun shots as AP2 and automatically wounding on a roll of 6 to hit, but may count their shotguns as only Assault 1 weapons if this is used. The squad receiving this order fires immediately at the closest enemy unit.
This order may only be issued to veteran, command, stormtrooper, and penal legionnaire squads (but it may be issued by junior and senior officers). In addition, the upgrade characters of veteran, stormtrooper, and penal legionnaire squads may purchase the ability to issue this order to their own squad for an additional +5 points.
the limits on who may use this order represent that only more skilled marksmen (or the talents of a penal legionnaire) are able to attempt headshots

Keep them down!
A squad receiving this order adds the pinning special rule to its shots, and makes an immediate shooting attack.
Junior officers and Senior officers.
had the idea while playing paintball, thought it would make shooting a little more characterful

Fix bayonets and prepare to charge!
A squad receiving this order may not shoot or run in the shooting phase, but will benefit from +1 initiative in the assault phase of the turn this order is issued.
general "here they come!" order

Brace for impact!
This may only be issued to a squad in a transport. The squad will automatically pass any pinning test resulting from the destruction of the transport in this turn or the following enemy turn, and will count any explosion hits from the transport as S3 instead of S4.
Junior officers only
this order represents a junior officer being concerned with his men's well being, as well as aware of the dangers of chimera travel

Punish the cowards!
A squad receiving this order immediately fires on a friendly squad that failed a leadership or morale test in the preceding enemy's turn. The squad that is fired on resolves the hits as normal, and then automatically regroups and fires on the nearest enemy unit. This is considered to be an order issued to BOTH units, and so after firing the second unit may not take any further action this phase.
Senior officers only.
this represents a furious higher officer "punishing" troops for failure, and said troops rallying as a result of their fear

Never leave a man behind!
A squad that receives this order may roll a d6 for each casualty it suffered since the beginning of the previous enemy turn (casualties from attacks that cause instant death or from the summary execution rule do not apply). On a roll of 5+ (for each) the casualty is returned to play. The squad may not shoot or run.
Junior officers only.

this order represents that the "casualties" were dragged to safety with the squad, and have now recovered sufficiently to continue fighting. Only junior officers may issue this, because senior officers are more cavalier with their men's lives and do not have a sufficient bond with their soldiers.

Last edited by killmaimburn; 05-11-09 at 01:45 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-09, 05:47 PM

"Fight them or I will SHOOT you!"
Isued by: Commisar lord
because sometimes you dont want to actualy join the suicide squad.
This order may be isued to any friendly unit within 12" of an enemy unit. Should that unit pass its LD test it will imediately move 6" during the shooting and assault the enemy unit, or fire at that unit(assuming they are in range). this order may be isued to units that are falling back even if they normaly cant re-group.

"A true king is never alone, his will is equal to the will of all of his followers."
-Alexander the Great, kind of
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-09, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Engelus's Flag is: USA

Punish the cowards should be unique to commissrs ordering the squad they are attached to (like bastonne) I think that the fired upon squad should immediately regroup as if being ordered to "get back in the fight"

~ Engelus
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-09, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engelus View Post
"get out and push" target Immobilised vehicle immediately moves d6 inches but may not shoot that turn, as the crew must get out and push and doesnt have time to operate the weaponry. Vehicle is assumed to have a LD of 8. may not target walkers as they would just fall over.
I don't know about you; but pushing a tank that probably weighs well over 40 tons is not going to go anywhere soon. I'd say it could move D3 inches models will have to represent the crew and now they can be targeted. Because that is the price you pay for getting out in a battle. Its an interesting order and despite its dangers I can still it being used

Quote:
"stay on target" squad which fired last turn may add 1 to thier BS if they fire at the same target.
Might I recommend just having the ordered squad re-roll all failed hits in the next turn. Although they may be concentrating on that particular target it does not mean that become better marksmen.

Quote:
"don't fire till you see the whites of thier eyes" target infantry unit measures distance first before firing, if target is out of range, they may fire at a different target instead, but only one choice, if second target is still out of range no firing will take place. squad may still assault in the assault phase if they are somehow able to.
Hmm.....The name and desciption of the order does not quite match up I would suggest that this one be renamed "Don't Waste Your Shots"

"dont fire till you see the whites of their eyes" would be more like an order for a squad that you didn't move, they wait to fire upon at an enemy once they are within 12" and all lasgun shots gain the rending special rule. This is kinda overpowerd; but hey I don't think there many who can actaully withstand a lasgun shot to the face or their eye.

Quote:
"RUN AWAY" target infantry unit immediately falls back 3d6 inches, but may not shoot this turn, assault or go to ground.
After they run away do they rally or keep running as the order sounds very cowardly maybe rename to "RETREAT" and after doing so they auto-rally

Quote:
"get to the choppa!" target infantry unit immediately runs d6 inches towards the nearest valkyrie or vendetta and gets in if it is within 2 inches.
Very nice I like

Quote:
"wait for it...wait for it" target infantry unit automatically passes next LD or morale check they are required to make even if this turns out to be another order next turn
Very nice I like this one two

[quote=killmaimburn;383447]Advance and lay down suppressing fire!
a squad that receives this order may fire weaponry as if it had not moved.This does not permit it to assault. This may also not be used to permit the Master of Ordnance to fire despite having moved. Heavy weapons fired in this way will hit on a -1 modifier of the firer's BS, so a normal heavy weapons team will hit on a 5+ rather than a 4+. The squad receiving this order fires at the closest enemy unit.

As a soldier I must say this can be pulled off; but we did one heavy weapon at time so that the other could provide cover and we couldn't move very fast I would say that you don't suffer a -1 to you're BS but you are now have the Slow and Purposeful special Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by killmaimburn View Post
Headshots only!
A squad receiving this order will count its lasgun, laspistol, hot-shot lasgun, and hot-shot laspistol shots as AP2 on a roll of 6 to hit. However, shots taken in this way will only hit on a 5+. A squad receiving this order may count its shotgun shots as AP2 and automatically wounding on a roll of 6 to hit, but may count their shotguns as only Assault 1 weapons if this is used. The squad receiving this order fires immediately at the closest enemy unit.
This order may only be issued to veteran, command, stormtrooper, and penal legionnaire squads (but it may be issued by junior and senior officers). In addition, the upgrade characters of veteran, stormtrooper, and penal legionnaire squads may purchase the ability to issue this order to their own squad for an additional +5 points.
the limits on who may use this order represent that only more skilled marksmen (or the talents of a penal legionnaire) are able to attempt headshots
Limiting who can make these shots and the order makes sense; but why not just say all lasgun, laspistol, hot-shot lasgun and shotguns gain the rending special rule against non vehicle models and only have one shot that is treated as if it were fired by a heavy weapon. This marks their concentration on the target like a sniper rifle so they do not suffer any modifiers to their BS and with so limited shot only D6 rolls of 6 will do any severe damage.

Quote:
Keep them down!
A squad receiving this order adds the pinning special rule to its shots, and makes an immediate shooting attack.
had the idea while playing paintball, thought it would make shooting a little more characterful
I like

Quote:
Fix bayonets and prepare to charge!
A squad receiving this order may not shoot or run in the shooting phase, but will benefit from +1 initiative in the assault phase of the turn this order is issued.
general "here they come!" order
I personally would give them Furious Charge you get your +1 Initiative and some bonus strength which is going to happen.

Quote:
Brace for impact!
This may only be issued to a squad in a transport. The squad will automatically pass any pinning test resulting from the destruction of the transport in this turn or the following enemy turn, and will count any explosion hits from the transport as S3 instead of S4.
Junior officers only
this order represents a junior officer being concerned with his men's well being, as well as aware of the dangers of chimera travel
I like this one two

Quote:
Punish the cowards!
A squad receiving this order immediately fires on a friendly squad that failed a leadership or morale test in the preceding enemy's turn. The squad that is fired on resolves the hits as normal, and then automatically regroups and fires on the nearest enemy unit. This is considered to be an order issued to BOTH units, and so after firing the second unit may not take any further action this phase.
Senior officers only.
this represents a furious higher officer "punishing" troops for failure, and said troops rallying as a result of their fear
I agree with Engelus only the commissars should be able to give this order

Quote:
Never leave a man behind!
A squad that receives this order may roll a d6 for each casualty it suffered since the beginning of the previous enemy turn (casualties from attacks that cause instant death or from the summary execution rule do not apply). On a roll of 5+ (for each) the casualty is returned to play. The squad may not shoot or run.
Junior officers only.
this order represents that the "casualties" were dragged to safety with the squad, and have now recovered sufficiently to continue fighting. Only junior officers may issue this, because senior officers are more cavalier with their men's lives and do not have a sufficient bond with their soldiers.
I would say on a 6+ being wounded may mean you didn't die on the battlefield but it does not mean you are conscious or have the ability to fight. Or you have the ability to shoot but you don't have the ability to stand or walk or run cause your legs are missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Schafer View Post
"Fight them or I will SHOOT you!"
Isued by: Commisar lord
because sometimes you dont want to actualy join the suicide squad.
This order may be isued to any friendly unit within 12" of an enemy unit. Should that unit pass its LD test it will imediately move 6" during the shooting and assault the enemy unit, or fire at that unit(assuming they are in range). this order may be isued to units that are falling back even if they normaly cant re-group.
Oh I like this one very nice

I really like the idea of threatening orders that are given by Comissars, it really adds to the flavor of their fluff.

Now I don't really have and Orders on the squad level that you guys have. I came up with orders that effects the entire force and they would cost a points value. They are similar to the Emperors Champions vows of the Black Templars. They were originally developed for a human colonial army that was abandoned and forgotten by the Imperium and they had advanced in technology and tactics. However I think that many of their rules can be applied to the New Imperial Guard. Well here they are

SENOIR OFFICERS ONLY
Command Decision: While at war Officers will have to make important decisions that can very well turn the tide of battle. Only one Senoir Officer may make a command decision for you’re IG army and that Officer can only make one command decision. The Officer may make a command decision at the points cost indicated. This points cost is added to the cost of the Officer who is in charge of you’re army. Imperial forces do not lose the benefits of the command decision if the Senoir Officer is killed in action.

COMMAND DECISIONS
"STAND YOU’RE GROUND".....55 pts
The commanding officer is determined to hold their position. All units will benefit from the Stubborn special rule

"ALL UNITS CHARGE".....105 pts
The commanding officer must advance upon the enemy and time is of the essence. After any scout movement has been made, all sovereign units including vehicles will consolidate D6” towards the nearest objective outside their deployment zone. After this move has been completed you may roll to see who takes the first turn.

"GIVE THEM HELL".....145 pts
The situation has turned drastic and the commanding officer has decided to show the full fury of the Imperial Guard. All units may re-roll all missed shots at -1 to their BS. Scatter weapons also benefit from this as well and may re-roll the 2D6 required; but may not re-roll the scatter dice.

"HIT THEM NOW"..... 205 pts
The Commanding officer has prepared an ambush for the enemy and all that remains is to spring the trap. All units that are placed in reserves may come in on the second turn without having to roll for reserves. No units may be left in reserve when this command decision has been taken.

OK now you all can call me crazy
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-09, 04:04 AM

Perhaps increse the points cost for each 500 points of the army? I like them, but in a 5000 point game, all reserves comeing in on turn two could really fuck up the enemy.

"A true king is never alone, his will is equal to the will of all of his followers."
-Alexander the Great, kind of
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-09, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Schafer View Post
Perhaps increse the points cost for each 500 points of the army? I like them, but in a 5000 point game, all reserves comeing in on turn two could really fuck up the enemy.
At 5000 pts you might as well being playing Apocalypse so it wouldn't even matter.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion > Houserules and Homebrews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode