DIY Characters - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-14, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Fallen's Flag is: USA

Default DIY Characters

Hi all, sorry for not posting as much as normal - I've been pretty apathetic towards 40k and GW for the past little while. I have been spending a little bit of time on working on my fluff and rules of my Space Marines, and their Chaotic brethren, since it was late in 5th edition since I last took some serious work at them.

I am trying to do two things with this thread; first to reinvigorate myself into 40k, and second hopefully promote the idea of everyone taking their own generic Captain "Bob", Librarian "Steve", or whatever we have played with countless times against our friends and share them with the rest of the world.

I'll share a revamped character and a new character and explain my thoughts behind everything, hoping to inspire one of you guys to do the same!

----

REVAMPED

Castellan of the XVI Cohort; Isdan
WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv Pts
6 5 S 5 3 5 3 10 2+ 160

UNIT TYPE: Infantry (Character), Unique
WARGEAR: Artificer Armor, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Melta Bombs, Iron Halo, Master Crafted Power Fist, Nimravidae Combi-Bolter.

“Nimravidae” Pattern Combi-Bolter:
A locally made combi-bolter built to exceed the capabilities of standard stormbolters.

Range S AP Type
24” 4 5 Assault 3, Twin Linked

SPECIAL RULES: Independent Character, And They Shall Know No Fear, Eternal Warrior

Bionicized: Isdan gains +1 Stength and Toughness (already taken into account), but is unable to overwatch, or run (unless forced) if he rolls a "1" on a D3; due to mechanical issues. Make roll when appropriate

WARLORD: Isdan has the “Conqueror of Cities” warlord trait. Isdan cannot be your warlord if a Chapter Master, or Athaem, is in your force

Company Tactics: All units, in a primary detachment, of an army with Isdan, as its warlord replace Combat Tactics for the "Preferred Enemy: Vehicles & Fortifications" and "Tank Hunters" USRs.

----

In general I tried to make Isdan be a "mini" Pedro, in fact I play him as Pedro when I play strangers. Now a generic Captain, with artificer armor, a powerfist, a storm bolter and melta bombs in 5th edition was about 150 points, in the current edition (assuming that Artificer stayed the same at 15 points since captains can't take it anymore) that same set up is practically the same, so I simply bumped him up another 15 points to offset any undercosted wargear and stuffs. On a side note, I have been debating myself if I think EW is warranted on him at the current cost, and is the one thing I view as "unfinished".

----

NEW

Lord of the Furnace, Castellan of the III Cohort; E’taias
WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv Pts
4 5 4 4 2 4 2 10 2+ 115

UNIT TYPE: Infantry (Character), Unique

WARGEAR: Artificer Armor, Bolt Pistol, Power Axe, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Servo-Harness

SPECIAL RULES: And They Shall Know No Fear, Blessing of the Omnissiah, Bolster Defenses, Shatter Defenses, Independent Character, Lord of the Furnace

Shatter Defenses: After deployment, before Scout redeployments and Infiltrate moves, one piece of terrain in your opponent’s deployment zone has its cover save reduced by one.

Lord of the Furnace: For every unit of terminators in the army that are in multiples of 5 (so a squad of 10 terminators unlocks 2 dreads), any type of dreadnought may be taken and use up a troop slot instead of its normal slot. This Special ability overrides the “Master of the Armory” rule that a generic Master of the Forge has.

----

E'taias, I followed the route of the new codex pretty straitforward, simply giving him the CSM Warpsmith power of Shatter Defenses at a cost of 10 points. Also reworking how I would like to see "Master of the Armory" to work, I also love Terminators and dreads, and want to use both - a lot.

----

Hopefully everyone else is interested to give their own ideas a shot; just remember that if you want to play with these guys, work with your own friends that you play against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-14, 05:36 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

I'm of a mind that DIY characters should be priced quite a bit higher than most players want to pay when making them. Isdan, for instance--you say a generic Captain costs about 150 points (with, too, I assume an Iron Halo). Well then, Isdan gets +1S and Toughness (making his Power Fist S10), Eternal Warrior, unlocks an awesome tank-slaughtering homebrew Chapter Tactics (at least I assume it's homebrew. And, uh, I think Chapter Tactics work slightly different now in the latest SM book--you might want to reword the "replace Chapter Tactics" bit there) for your entire army, and automatic access to arguably the best Warlord Trait in the game?

Bearing in mind that with, say, a homebrew Master of the Forge might further boost a ruin to an automatic 2+ cover save?

...I'd honestly be arguing for a cost closer to 210 for this guy, myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
Bionicized: Isdan gains +1 Stength and Toughness (already taken into account), but is unable to overwatch, or run (unless forced) if he rolls a "1" on a D3; due to mechanical issues. Make roll when appropriate
Why not do away with the D3 and make him Slow and Purposeful? It's characterful and fills much the same role--just is a bit more punishing for such a cool homebrew character; a flaw to counterbalance all his good rules (that might make him sliiightly less expensive)?

E'taias: well, it's not that he just has Shatter Defenses for 10 points. It's that he has Shatter Defenses and Bolster Defenses, which no Warpsmith has, and Shatter Defenses more or less buys its points back the very first time an enemy fails their cover save because of it. Couple that with the Conquerer of Cities trait you'll have guaranteed access to, like I said...

To say nothing of Lord of the Furnace. Objective Secured Ironclad Dreadnoughts?

I think it's safe to say this guy is undercosted as well.

Sorry to rain on your parade--I love seeing creative DIY rules for characters, and these definitely fit the bill without just being "Fleshbane Armorbane AP2 Eternal Warrior 2+/3++ saves" style characters that, sigh, some people seem to be so eager to create (congratulations, some people, you know how to read what rules are good). Still, I do have a bit of a bugbear about character costs--I figure if anything, DIY characters should be overcosted, competitive-wise, rather than offering a bundle of cool rules for just a hair more than vanilla characters with almost none of that stuff.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

Last edited by Mossy Toes; 10-19-14 at 05:38 AM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-14, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

@Mossy Toes

I can see simply giving Isdan S&P, and forgive since I have yet to actually play a game of 7th (nor own the 6th ed SM codex) so I am not sure how much those things changed in regards to warlord traits, USRs, and chapter tactics. But fluff wise this character is a besieger which explains his default warlord trait (which was from the generic 6th ed warlord table) and his company tactics.

I think the change to S&P, removal of EW and 1 S would be more in line with the price point I have set aside.

In general I find that making CC oriented characters should not be priced higher in the current edition.

----

On E'taias, I have no idea how objective secured works and/or how breaking it can be for the game, when to unlock the ability I am required to purchase terminators first.

Quote:
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-14, 02:09 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Quote:
In general I find that making CC oriented characters should not be priced higher in the current edition.
Sadly true, honestly. I have a hell of a time getting my CSM and Daemons characters into melee...

Quote:
I think the change to S&P, removal of EW and 1 S would be more in line with the price point I have set aside.
That makes sense to me, yeah. Or you could try to aim for middle ground: raise the points by, say, 15 or 20 and let him keep EW, or something.

Quote:
On E'taias, I have no idea how objective secured works and/or how breaking it can be for the game, when to unlock the ability I am required to purchase terminators first.
Ah, Objective Secured: in 7th ed, all units (apart from zooming flyers and swooping FMCs) are scoring. OS is a rule that makes Troops, when you're bringing a standard force org chart (or "combined arms detachment"), score on Objectives even if contested by a non-Objective Secured unit--no interrupting that objective holding, unless you get a Troops unit up there or wipe out the OS unit.

Transports for Troops are also Objective Secured, so something like a Drop Pod carrying a Troops Dreadnought would mean there are suddenly 6 AV12 (or 3 AV12, 3 AV13) hull points of super-scoring metal camped on top of an objective.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-14, 03:07 AM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

I like the idea of this tread so I thought I would throw my character into the mix.

Asthma Margrave
Pts: 230
WS5 BS5 S4 T3 W3 I5 A2 Ld10 Sv3+/3++

Wargear: Force stave, Bolt pistol, Assault grenades, Spell familiar, Crucible of lies, Sigil of corruption
Special rules: Daemon, Level 3 Pskyer (Demonology/Telepathy), Will breaker

Will Breaker: Any unit that targets Asthma or his unit in the shooting or assault phase has to take a leadership check. If failed the unit most reroll successful to hit rolls.

Warlord trait: Smoke and mirrors

Smoke and mirrors: After deployment but before the first turn you may choice two of your own units or one enemy unit and move them 6" before your first turn (May not place unit in dangerous/impassible terrain, or place them beyond the players deployment zone.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come

Last edited by LukeValantine; 10-21-14 at 04:12 PM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-14, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

@LukeValantine

is your character a CSM or a Demon?

I ask simply because part of your stat line is weird (T3), and I am confused with how you are getting a 3++ save.

Quote:
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-14, 06:38 AM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

He's a CSM. T3 is from the crucible of lies, and the 3++ is from sigil of corruption and mark of tzeentch. Although I would have to drop the Daemon rule as the mark of tzeentch does different things dependent on if your a daemon or a mortal.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-14, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeValantine View Post
Although I would have to drop the Daemon rule as the mark of tzeentch does different things dependent on if your a daemon or a mortal.
Not really. Mark of Tzeentch is Mark of Tzeentch. Daemon of Tzeentch is a separate rule. This is why if you go for Crimson Slaughter and get the Prophet of the Voices item you don't change your bonuses.

HOWEVER 'Will Breaker' seems a bit strong. Maybe if it only affected only to hit or to wound it would be more acceptable in my eyes. OR maybe just making people only re-roll to hits & to wound on 6s (making it more of an anti Precision Hits / Rending thing as well as they are thrown off by having to overcome some for of Psychic Struggle.
BUT in either case if he gets Invisibility I feel that he and his unit would be to strong. With people having to pass an LD check or have to re-roll hits and wounds, and only hitting on 6s cos of invis, and no doubt the unit will likely be shrouded as well. With the addition of Defensive Grenades, this could become madness.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-14, 12:15 PM

Here ya go, here is one I made up. Not sure on the points, but have had a stab.

ONURIS – THE VOICE OF THE DUST 115pts

The Rubric of Ahriman condemned the majority of the Thousand Sons to a fate worse than death. Only some of those with skill in the Sorcerous Arts managed to retain their minds, bodies and even their souls.
During the Ritual many of the Thousand Sons died as Warpfire and Daemons claimed their lives to settle the debt that had been made with the casting of this great and powerful spell. Some of the Magi having seen the Rubric spiralling out of control attempted to save themselves from what they could see as the annihilation of the chapter by striking bargains with the Daemons that came to claim their souls before they were killed. Few of these pacts with the Neverborn were accepted, and even fewer of them prevented the destruction of their body either on becoming Secondborn or the Rubrics affect obliterating their mortal form before the process was complete, not to mention those who the Daemon they had bargained with betraying them or not being strong enough to resist the affects of the grand spell.
Those that did make the bargain and survive are incredibly rare. Of the few that did survive, many have been banished, killed or sealed away by sorcerers seeking to save the brothers that they have lost or learn the secrets of how these individuals make other Rubric Marines stronger. These individuals are still able to think for themselves and act independently. They also have the ability to command their Rubric Brothers as though they were still alive, by issuing orders and receiving reports. Witnesses of the acts of these warriors recount that they even have the ability to restore some of the former ability back to standard Rubric Marines who act as though the curse had never happened.

ONURIS – THE VOICE OF THE DUST
WS 5 – BS 5 – S 4 – T 4 – W 3 – I 4 – A 3 – LD 10– SV 2+/4++ (Including Mark Bonus)

Fleshmetal, Boltgun, Daemon, Inferno Bolts, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades.

Fearless, Mark of Tzeentch, Slow and Purposeful, Veteran of the Long War, Master of the Rubricae, Silence is Broken, Ahrimans Crusade, Rubric Brotherhood.

Silence is Broken: If Onuris is the Warlord of your Army, then all units of Thousand Sons may take any of the options given to a normal Chaos Space Marines unit that they may replace their boltgun with (AKA Flamer, Heavy Bolter, Meltagun, Autocannon, Missile Launcher, Plasmagun or Lascannon at the same cost as for a normal Chaos Space Marines unit.
If he is taken as a character for a Thousand Sons unit then they may take a weapon from that same list, even if he is not the Warlord. This item is in addition to the one allowed before if he is your army Warlord.
Heavy Bolters bought in both ways can be upgraded to have Inferno Bolts that work with the Heavy Bolter for an addition of 10pts.

Ahrimans Crusade: Ahriman may never be in an army that contains Onuris as he finds that those like him are to precious to waste in battle, and seeks to study how they work and if he can learn a way to free his brothers from the curse using them. Equally Ahriman is hated by few like Onuris that still exist, but realise they need to stay as far away from him as they can, or face imprisonment or worse as a experiment.
In a game that contains both Onuris and Ahriman on opposing armies. Either will score 1 additional VP if the other is killed before they are.

Rubric Brotherhood: No models with the Mark of Khorne, Slaanesh or Nurgle may be included in an army that contains Onuris. Daemons of Khorne, Slaanesh and Nurgle are also forbidden to be in an army containing him.

Last edited by mayegelt; 10-21-14 at 12:18 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-14, 12:48 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Captain Aryes Chalcedon, Trierachos of the "Pont of Charon", Iron Snakes Chapter

Code:
WS | BS | S | T | W  | I | A | Ld | Sv
6  | 5  | 4 | 4 | 3  | 5 | 3 | 10 | 2+
Equipment; Terminator Armour, Master Crafted Power Spear, The Shield Ancile

Special Rules; as Space Marine Captain, except as noted;

Sarissa Tactics; The Iron Snakes chapter makes use of the Sarissa, a long pole arm twice as tall as an Astartes.

Any model equipped with a Bolt Pistol may exchange it for a Sarissa; the Sarissa is not a weapon, but rather grants the bearer the Counter-Attack special rule.

Any model with a Power Spear (Master-crafted, or otherwise noted as being treated like a Power Spear) chosen from Codex: Space Marines in the same Combined Arms Detachment as Aryes Chalcedon gains improved use out of it - their Strength and AP is shifted to one better in all modes - i.e AP3 becomes AP2, and AP4 becomes AP3, while Strength; As User becomes Strength As User+1. However, if they wish to make benefit of this, then they are always considered to be making a Disorded Charge, and it becomes 2 Handed. They may always choose to instead make use of it as a normal power spear.

Notable Makedon; Aryes was once a member of the notable squad Makedon, a squad which can date its lineage back to the earliest days of the chapter unbroken, and fought alongside the Primarch during the days of the Scouring. Since being elevated to Chapter command, the close ties he has with the squad have stayed strong, and requests for the Notables to join him in battle are frequently answered. It was here he learned the tactics of the spearwall and the true effectiveness of the Sarissa was taught to him, and these Astartes have won countless battles.

A single Terminator Assault Squad, (all of which must be equipped with Thunder Hammers and Storm Shield) gains the Objective Secured special rule in all situations when troops would normally recieve benefit of this rule.

Spartan Charge; Although normally a defensive formation, Captain Aryes Chalcedon has perfected the shock assault, surprising enemies with the sheer ferocity from seeming passive defense.

When a unit joined by Aryes Chalcedon charges, all models within that unit ignore the effects of the "Unwieldly" special rule for that phase only.

The Shield Ancile; This is a Storm Shield, which contains a one shot Graviton Gun. Any unit taking an unsaved wound from the Shield Ancile suffers from the Disordered Charge special rule for the rest of the phase.

Points - I'm thinking that he's around maybe 180points. Similar to a none Eternal Warrior, 3 wound Lysander.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

Last edited by Vaz; 10-21-14 at 12:57 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion > Houserules and Homebrews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode