Szarekh, the Silent King - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-12, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Default Szarekh, the Silent King

Ok so I have looked around and seena lot of different versions people have come up witha nd I didn;t like a single one i saw. He is always posted as some combat monster and that is not how I see the Silent King at all. I imagine he would be an implaccable, nigh unkillable foe that buffs your army. Please let me know what you think, any proposed changes etc.
Szarekh, the Silent King 265pts
WS 5
BS 4
S 5
T 5
W 4
I 2
A 3
Ld 10
Sv 2+

Wargear:
Staff of the Triarch Kings
Sempiternal Weave
Phase Shifter
Phylactery
Resurrection Field

Special Rules:
Severed Command Protocols
Triarch Council
Reanimation Protocols
Everliving
Silent King
Independent Character

Staff of the Triarch Kings: Range: 24" Str 4 AP 2 Assault 3 Haywire
The Staff of the Triarch Kings is an the first staff of light created for the leader of the Necrons.

Resurrection Field: All Friendly Necorn models within 12" of Szarekh, the Silent King, including Szarekh himself, may re-roll failed reanimation protocols.

Severed Command Protocols: In order to use his severed command protocols, there must be another lord or overlord in your army and in Szarekh's squad. When activated, all friendly necron models count as fearless until the start of your next turn. One use only.

Triarch Council: Szarekh may take up to two separate Royal courts. All lords from these courts also have the fearless special rule.

Silent King: If Szarekh is removed from the table as a casualty, as long as he passes his reanimation protocols, he may elect to phase out and enter reserves instead of being placed in the squad he had joined.

Now before anyone has a conniption, I put 265 pts because that is what I want the character to cost. Also I don't think it is too radical considering Marneus Calgar only costs 265 to put in terminator armor. however, please tell me what you think and if you think I have captured the feel of Szarekh in this. If you like what i have I can write fluffy entries for everything but currently I need to make sure this isn't too over or underpowered.

Last edited by tricktroller; 08-03-12 at 09:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-12, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricktroller View Post
Ok so I have looked around and seena lot of different versions people have come up witha nd I didn;t like a single one i saw. He is always posted as some combat monster and that is not how I see the Silent King at all. I imagine he would be an implaccable, nigh unkillable foe that buffs your army. Please let me know what you think, any proposed changes etc.
Szarekh, the Silent King 265pts
WS 5
BS 4
S 5
T 5
W 4
I 2
A 3
Ld 10
Sv 2+

Wargear:
Sempiternal Weave
Phase Shifter
Phylactery
Resurrection Field

Special Rules:
Triarch Council
Reanimation Protocols
Everliving
Silent King
Independent Character

The Staff of the Triarch Kings is an the first staff of light created for the leader of the Necrons.

Resurrection Field: All Friendly Necorn models within 12" of Szarekh, the Silent King, including Szarekh himself, may re-roll failed reanimation protocols.

Severed Command Protocols: In order to use his severed command protocols, there must be another lord or overlord in your army and in Szarekh's squad. When activated, all friendly necron models count as fearless until the start of your next turn. One use only.

Triarch Council: Szarekh may take up to two separate Royal courts. All lords from these courts also have the fearless special rule.

Silent King: If Szarekh is removed from the table as a casualty, as long as he passes his reanimation protocols, he may elect to phase out and enter reserves instead of being placed in the squad he had joined.

Now before anyone has a conniption, I put 265 pts because that is what I want the character to cost. Also I don't think it is too radical considering Marneus Calgar only costs 265 to put in terminator armor. however, please tell me what you think and if you think I have captured the feel of Szarekh in this. If you like what i have I can write fluffy entries for everything but currently I need to make sure this isn't too over or underpowered.
Regardless of what you end up doing points-wise and rules-wise, the one thing we KNOW for certain is that the higher up you get in the Necron hierarchy, the bigger your stats get. The Silent King obviously has the best body; I'd go so far as to bump him to WS6 BS6 S6 T6 W4. This does little to his CC profile, as he has no power weapons, but makes him much 'harder' outside of it.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-05-12, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

I'd agree with his S, T, and W being higher but I think his WS and BS are based more off of combat ability and less off of body. So I'd leave them the same. What do you think about his rules as far as balance and Points?

Szarekh, the Silent King in my mind.

Don't worry you foul little creature, I have no intention of killing you today. Come stand next to me and watch your world burn and understand the meaning of the word futility.

My Tyranid Log

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-12, 01:01 AM

WS and BS are based off how good the programming were - the Silent King and his hierarchical ilk have the best programming out of any Necrons anywhere; that's my argument for it anyways.

265 points seems fine for this, regardless .
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-12, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Do you think that his rules fit the whole Emperor of all Necrons feel?

Don't worry you foul little creature, I have no intention of killing you today. Come stand next to me and watch your world burn and understand the meaning of the word futility.

My Tyranid Log
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-12, 03:24 PM
Septok's Flag is: England

The only problem I see with this is how he's playing on fearless so much, as it's half-useless on Necrons. The stats shouldn't be changed at all though, but I think he really needs Eternal Warrior, or else he'll just be taken down in a turn or two with an S10 shot.

Maybe for his Triarch Court, he could include an Overlord as part of the court (therefore making them not a HQ choice)? I also feel that he should have Preferred enemy (C'tan and (Dark and Craftworld) Eldar), as it's worth it for giving it to his unit.

Though I have to say, he's a really difficult character to write rules for! All we really know is that he thinks that the other Necrons would try and take vengeance on him if he shattered the command protocols, he severed the command protocols, and that he was in control of the entire necron race. I think some rep is deserving for rules well thought, though.

EDIT: I also don't think that he should have greater WS, BS or S. It might make sense to swap his WS and BS, as he's a shooty-support character, and he might have a tougher body as the silent king and all.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-12, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

I really like the idea of his body being tougher and stronger, however if you read Obyrons fluff it says his combat skill has not diminished over the eons. He had the skill before and retains it now. Then again the rank and file warrior has WS and BS 4 which is what space marines have with massive amounts of training and super human-y-ness so I guess you could argue either way.

So here is the update for what I think after your comments.

WS 4
BS 5
S 6
T 6
W 3
I 2
A 3
LD 10
SV 2+

Wargear:
Sempiternal Weave
Phase Shifter
Phylactery
Resurrection Field

Special Rules:
Triarch Council
Reanimation Protocols
Everliving
Silent King
Independent Character
Fearless

The Staff of the Triarch Kings is the first staff of light created for the leader of the Necrons.

Severed Command Protocols: In order to use his severed command protocols, there must be another lord or overlord in your army and in Szarekh's squad. When activated, Every friendly Necron unit with a model within 12 inches passes a reanimation protocol roll on a 4+ until the end of the turn, gains the Move through Cover special rule furing the movement phase, and may move and then fire in the shooting phase. One use only.

The Severed command protocols might be too powerful now, but I was thinking that fearless just doesn't quite make sense. Most of the army is Ld 10 anyways so the command protocols should be able to make the models closest to him do some extraordinary things. This may sound unbalanced but in order for it to really be useful he needs to be right up in the middle where he can get killed.

By the by, does anyone think his staff is too powerful? I wanted it to be like the bolters for Marneus Calgar which are str 4 ap 2 assault 2 but i figured the emperor of all necrons would have something a little better. The extra shot and haywire I added to make him not a complete and utter waste against a tank but also not able to one shot a landraider on his own.

My Tyranid Log
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-12, 03:47 PM
Septok's Flag is: England

It's all great, save for two things that stick out in my mind:

If he's decidedly non-cc, why would he be S6? It might make sense, but it doesn't sit right with me.

Severed Command Protocols. It doesn't seem to be an associated game mechanic to me (if you don't know what I mean, Jervis was talking about it in WD a while ago). Severing the protocols means that the Necrons aren't forced to take orders from him, and he's already done it. I'm not even entirely sure that he needs the rule.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-12, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

I mean he is enacting his severed command protocols. That is why he needs someone who would have command protocols that are active. Basically hooking in to another lord or over lord and running his own command protocols through them.

Also it is true that the necron body gets better the more awesome you are however Ic asn agree that he owuld only have S5 but I think his T would be at least 6.

My Tyranid Log
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-12, 08:12 PM

The Sturk's Flag is: USA

When you say "may move then fire" in the shooting phase, do you mean that they can declare a run and then shoot at the end of it?

Even then, it doesn't seem all that powerful to me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion > Houserules and Homebrews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode