February 2016 Weekender Discussion - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-16, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead

Default February 2016 Weekender Discussion

You probably weren't there, but you've probably seen the scans. Big changes to existing Legions (who needed it). Big deals:

Dark Angels hit you on 3s if they're equal WS and using a sword. That includes combat blades on Tacticals, so it may well end up being a pretty strong ability. Also a kinda-Alpha Legion downside where you have to finish the game with more units than your opponent or you lose a VP. Probably not going to be a big deal. Rites of War for Ironwing and Ravenwing, I don't remember what they do other than +1BS for having multiple vehicles to a squadron. Also some awesome relic blade with Instant Death called a Terranic Greatsword, presumably available to HQs or, terrifyingly, on Legion-specific units.

Blood Angels. Wow. +1 to wound with any Melee type weapon (and given that pistols are CCWs, which are Melee type, I don't know why they didn't just say '+1 to wound in melee'), which is pretty incredible. What's more incredible? Instead of a Heavy Flamer, you can pay another 5pts on top and turn it into an Assault Cannon (Predators get a TL turret mounted one for free). So Predators with TL Assault Cannon turrets, twin Assault Cannon sponsons and a pintle Assault Cannon? Who needs Mortis Dreadnoughts when you can bring Assault Cannons inside your Power Fists? You can't bring more vehicle units than non-vehicle units, but I don't think that's a huge downside. One Rite is kinda like 40k BA where you get +1 Initiative on the charge. With your +1 to Wound.

Hit-or-miss Rites of War for everyone else. Word Bearers get massed Drop Pods full of Gal Vorbak (as Troops!) and Sons of Horus gets Pride of the Legion on steroids, while Ultramarines get a bunch of Recon Marines leading Auxilia units and Raven Guard get one-turn Zealot/have to kill the Warlord/inspire all the Auxilia guys. Night Lords get a Rite further down the timeline of their degeneration into the 40k Night Lords, the Raptor Cult, which has Night Raptors as Troops and everyone can buy Trophies of Judgement for 25pts per unit, but they have to charge if they can and someone's in 12" which is kind of annoying. Not as good as Angel's Wrath or Terror Assault in my opinion, but fluffy and hey, Raptor Cult, what's not to like? Death Guard get some switcheroos, they don't need a Rite to bring Rad Grenades and they get cover if they stand near people for some reason. There's some more generic ones - can't remember details, one moves the Primarch over to HQ instead of Lords of War which is neat. Most of the Legion-specific ones are chronologically further down the timeline, and are traitor/loyalist-specific which is quite cool (the Iron Hands one is a fuckload of Medusan Immortals who have Hatred against traitors out to avenge Ferrus). Speaking of, you can now bring Shattered Legions and Blackshields with mildly confusing rules. Still, Blackshields are cool.

Just mentioning Sons of Horus, Justaerin are stupidly improved. Your 255pts buy-in price is now 5 guys, not 3, and they're a measly 40pts to add extra guys. Oh, and W2. Absolutely bonkers. Raven Guard I think got a price increase on Mor Deythan, which I don't know enough about to hold an opinion, but Dark Furies got *even better* with their Lightning Claws being upgraded to Raven's Talons for free (Master-Crafted and Rending for everyone). Deathshrouds get *way* better with the general DG improvements and an overhaul of Power Scythes - they've replaced Sweep Attack and Unwieldy with Reaping Strike, which is -1 Initiative and if you're in B2B with more than one guy, you get +1 Attack. Much, much better. Dorn also gets Reaping Strike instead of Unwieldy, which is a massive improvement for him being Initiative 'Primarch' and being on a big base.

The new Knight is apparently just sit-down-clench-your-anus-and-hold-on-to-your-hat levels of bonkers, but I haven't seen it myself.

Discuss, basically. I haven't covered even nearly everything here, so throw in your cents!

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-16, 08:24 AM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

You missed the updates to the Emperor's Children. Now everyone gets a flat +1 I on the turn they charge as part of the Legiones Astartes special rule. Phoenix Guard are finally WS 5. Kakophoni are now Heavy 2 instead of 1 and become Relentless with the new Rite. Sonic Shriekers are now -1 WS to models in base to base contact. Some pretty big changes. Very cool indeed.

The weekender has really kicked my passion for heresy into overdrive. The fact that you can build your own Knight Errant gives me a character I can put in my army that (from a narrative perspective) is the one who vouches that my Emperor's Children are in fact loyal. Plus now there's a Rite called Orphans of Betrayal that gives buffs against Traitors. Basically before the 'loyalist Emperor's Children' was just in me head and wargear choices. Now I can actually represent them on the tabletop!

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-16, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead

Yeah, Phoenix Guard with 3 WS5 I6 Str5 AP2 attacks apiece on the charge make a pretty balls-out pain train - add that to Fulgrim's +2 combat resolution and you're almost guaranteed to win combat by enough to break your opponent, and then boom, Sweeping Advance of D6+D3+6. You auto-sweep if your opponent rolls lower than a 5+. This is all dependent on Phoenix Guard being able to take Tartaros, of course; I can't remember if it specifies what pattern they wear or not.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-16, 05:27 PM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

It doesn't specify so they can take Tartaros. However, I'm pretty sure Sweeping Advances use your unmodified I, so it's 4 + D6 + D3, but still auto-Sweeping 1/3 of rolls is nothing to sniff at.

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Quote:
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-16, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead

Aw, just checked my rulebook and yes, unmodifed. Still, Sweeping Advance is in your favour even without Crusader (since you Sweep if you draw the roll-off, of course), so as you say it's still very strong.

Nice that it's unmodified initiative for Deathshroud, though. Heaven knows those guys needed the bone they threw Death Guard (and specifically, Power Scythes which are both streamlined and improved).

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-16, 10:02 PM

Aye, Death Guard in general needed a buff which they certainly got. Plus Dorn lost Unwieldy on his sword and instead got the same rule as Deathshroud.

Basically, I thin Forge World did a good job of making things more balanced with the recent updates and added a hell of a lot of fluffy options. I'm really exited about having a Rite of War to represent my Loyal Emperor'S Children on the tabletop. I think Shattered Legions will need some testing to see if they can forge any rule-breaking rule combinations (although I can't see any off the bat initially) but in general Forge World have done a great job at making Book 1 legions balanced with the rest of the legions in later books.

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > Horus Heresy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode