My Bretonnian Army Background, - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-11, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

Default My Bretonnian Army Background,

I decided that while I cannot really paint all that much at the moment without aggravating my injury I would write up a small background article for the Bretonnian force that I am currently collecting. Each of the below Knightly Charcters has Heraldry in the army book so I decided that I would create a little bit of fluff for each.

I also decided that my Prophetess and Damsel needed a little background as well.

Character Background

· Taubert of L’Anguille
Lord Taubert of L’Anguille rides to battle atop his mighty Hypogriff Redclaw, the pair have formed a bond of unbreakable understanding. The young Bretonnian Lord found the egg one day while hunting Beastmen that had massacred farmers on the outskirts of Chatlon. His honourable pursuit took him deep into the Forest of Arden. Deep into the forest he came upon the band as they feasted on the corpse of a mighty beast, filled with righteous anger he slaughtered many and took the skull of the Shamen. On closer inspection the carcass that the war band was feasting upon was of a mighty Hypogriff, nearby was a clutch of eggs, only one remained undamaged by the battle. Feeling deep remorse for the deceased beast and the unborn chick, the young Knight returned to L’Anguille after displaying the severed head on the gates of Chatlon. The egg was kept warm and the chick fed and trained until it was large and strong enough to bear the weight of the fully armoured Knight. To this day Redclaw is kept in the Lord’s stables and the pair are a terrifying sight for foes of L’Anguille and the King on the field of battle, the name Redclaw came from one mighty battle where once the day was one the Hypogriff reared up with arms and wings spread and screamed at the fleeing bandits, the regiments of bloodied men at arms witnessed this sight and bolstered by the faith in their lord pursued the foe until each was caught and captured or killed.

· Earl Theutgard
Theutgard Earl of L’Anguille and Jarl of Ganet is renown through the land as an expert swordsman, his honour and expertise shows itself on the battlefield as he constantly seeks to challenge the enemies “Champion”. Disarming the Champion of the lands of the Empire, the Emperor Karl Franz’ personal bodyguard Ludwig Schwarzhelm in a display bout during the diplomatic visit to the King’s court; ultimately bought Theutgard his fame. In battle however he has earned many more scars and honours and the sight of the dour man atop his mighty white charger on the battlefield has reduced many champions to doubt their mettle. His purposeful movements make even the tiniest scrap of pride or conceit into a surge of righteous self belief. Even Skaven and Goblins have been known to join swords in honourable combat, with predictable results.

· Ferragus
His wife and child slain by a marauding Hydra in a piratical raid by Dark Elf attack Ferragus quickly sought revenge. He traced down the raiding parties movements and attacked their camp after freeing the taken slaves. His first target was the corrals that housed the beasts responsibly for his kin’s death, his lance penetrating deep into the monsters heart it died instantly. Since that day Ferragus has sworn a personal oath that he hopes will make up for the loss of his loved ones. This oath has led to many mighty beasts perishing at the tip of his lance or sword.

· Guntrum the Bearer
Though a dozen or more steeds were shot from under him on the battlefield of the Pale Sisters, Guntrum never lost his contempt for those that eschewed the martial values of meetings one’s foe face to face. The aura of honour and contempt is so tangible it is said that those fighting near him take on Guntrum’s demeanour of loathing and no matter the casualties inflicted keep up their charge until they reach the heat of combat. Because of this ability to encourage the highest acts of bravery Guntrum was awarded the Banner of L’Anguille to carry into the battlefield, since being awarded this honour the cloth of this beautifully embroidered tapestry of one of Gilles The Uniter’s engagements has never been spoiled by the touch of the earth or the visceral clash of combat.

· Cheldric
Cheldric was taught a mysterious way of fighting by a group of Nipponese diplomats in his youth, eager to learn many methods of beating his peers and foes he mastered this method of combat and commissioned the Royal Blacksmith to create the “Gem of L’Anguille” a Morning Star of beautiful appearance. Such is the strength and skill of Cheldric many fell blades have been ripped from the evil talons of the King’s enemies or smashed by the might of the spiked iron globes that are attached to the pole that seems to gleam with a fey light, having been blessed by one of the Lady’s Maidens.

· Leuthere
Such is Leuthere’s rage at the despoilers of the Lady’s lands that his exploits in battle have travelled the length and breadth of the mighty Realm and beyond. Leuthere has taken many wounds over the countless battles that would have felled many a Knight but simply inspired the determined Knight to fight with even greater contempt for his foes. Bard’s tell the tale to visitors of taverns and contests of martial power within L’Anguille of the night after a vicious battle against fell raiders a poisoned blade was plunged

· Justin son of Ute
Justin son of Ute is the epitome of chivalry; he has forgone his birth right to ride to battle in order to carry out his charge of protecting the meek. Since he fights on foot he is held in high regard by the low born that surround him of the fields of battle and his presence inspires them to greater acts of bravery. His usual charge is the Countess Beatrix L’Anguille or one of her two daughters and he has sworn to lay down his life before enemies blades reach within a breath of their being. The task has bought some benefit to Justin as the Handmaidens of the Lady have blessed his blade so that he may slay any threat to his charges, armour and flesh is cleaved with equal ease.

· Countess Beatrix L’Anguille
The Countess Beatrix L’Anguille is the wife of Lord Taubert and has bore him 2 sons and 2 daughters, loved by the noble and low born alike she assists her Lord and Husband in matters of Diplomacy, Justice and supports him and his troops on the field of battle. She is a devotee of the Lady of The Lake and as such she is able to master the Winds of Azyr. As a student of the lore of Heavens she has a great drive for inspiration and can call upon the sky to harness destructive weather and draws her strength from the storms that lash the coast of L’Anguille from the Sea of Claws. Her magic is not just offensive as Countess Beatrix has shown capability in stemming the tide of destructive magic arrayed against the Armies of L’Anguille and the King. Those closest to her tell tale of a protective presence that nullifies the fell forces that are targeted towards her.

· Rhiannon and Sophia L’Anguille
Rhiannon L’Anguille is the oldest daughter of Lord Taubert and Countess Beatrix. She like her younger sister and mother is a student of the Lady of the Lake and draws her power from the winds of Ghur. The brown wind of magic flows around the wild untamed places so it is often that trappers and hunters within the wilder regions of L’Anguille especially those along the coastline and borders of The Forest of Arden and the Pale Sisters occasionally cross paths with Rhiannon, her sister Sophia and her Bodyguard Justin son of Ute. In battle Rhiannon uses the power generated by enemy wizards to harm and disable their power, she is oft seen with a small silver mirror which bards have sung tales of its mystical use in returning the spells and hexes back on their caster.

· Sophia L’Anguille
Sophia L’Anguille is the youngest daughter and child of Lord and Lady L’Anguille. She like her older sister and mother is a student of the Lady of the Lake and draws her power from the winds of Ghur. The brown wind of magic flows around the wild untamed places so it is often that trappers and hunters within the wilder regions of L’Anguille especially those along the coastline and borders of The Forest of Arden and the Pale Sisters occasionally cross paths with Sophia, her sister Rhiannon and her Bodyguard Justin son of Ute. In battle Sophia uses her faith in the protective power of the Lady to grant a blessing on those around her, since her father wishes no harm to either of his daughters she is usually stationed in the rear of the force with a loyal retainer of low born bowmen that accompany her and her sister on their excursions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-12, 03:39 PM

i'm loving it, esspecially Taubert of L’Anguille
Are there any models to go with this fluff yet? becausse i would love to see them, great work on the fluff
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-12, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Wow I totally forgot about this thread.

I'm in the process of updating and repainting my entire army so at the moment I have no pictures.

I have an old Deathclaw model (From the Old Metal Karl Franz kit) that I plan to use as my Redclaw.

I have also just about finished base coating my Guntrum (after converting the model from a Grail Knight Standard Bearer and Gamerzone Grail Knight standard bearer - its heavy) the amount of pinning this guy took was unbelievable.

Cheldric is currently masquerading as a Questing Knight as I seem to have misplaced 4 (and a unit of 5 just doesn't cut it)

As soon as I get my motivation back to paint fantasy again I will be uploading photo's (I forgot how much I hate painting horses and peasants) as at the moment I am quickly trying to assemble a 1.5k Grey Knight list

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-12, 04:04 PM

Haha, i'm glad to see that i'm not the only one who hates painting horses I can't wait to see the conversions and paint jobs
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-12, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Mad as a sack of Squigs

I have a painting plog up now for my Bretonnians so take a look if you like
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-12, 10:50 PM

Lord Justicar Gideon's Flag is: United Kingdom

Loving the detail. The only 'issue' might be Earl Theutgard's claim to fame, being that he disarmed Ludwig, since the most recent canon states he's never once been beaten by any except the Reiksmarshal. But since this is 'fanon' as it were, and a story of your own telling, I think it's acceptable. I'd love to see some of their exploits, once you've played some battles, in story form perhaps.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-12, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Hi mate cheers for that, couple of things at the time of writing it was correct that Ludwig was disarmed after a bout in Bretonnia and certainly not 'Fanon'

1. I wrote that fluff February 2011 and it was over a year before the first comment on it.
2. GW then decided that they wanted to pimp out Ludwig and changed the fluff in the new Empire book (bleerg Blackpowder cowards)
3. I sold the army off a few months ago as by that time I was at the point of my 4th repaint and had decided to paint the Knights in the colours of the Portsmouth FC strips throughout the ages (Yes I was at that stage - it was best to simply sell off and start again as/when GW finally get round to their forgotten children)

Although having said all that I am seriously considering starting up a Bretonnian Air Force army in the future

Last edited by Ratvan; 07-03-12 at 12:22 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Fluff > Homebrew WFB Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode