The Sanguinian Heresy - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-08-11, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Chapter Nine: Blood and Iron

Fotens terribilitas, adjuva me in extremis!

- Last words of Word Bearers Fleet-Captain Zadkiel, Commander of the Battle-Barge Thunder Child

~*~

The Vengeful Spirit, Horus Lupercal's flagship, en route to Terra

~*~

BE SAVED IN DEATH, FILTHY AS THOU ART.

- Inscription on all Word Bearers bolter shells

~*~

From Heroes of the Word Bearers, the Hidden Library

ZADKIEL, FLEET CAPTAIN: Commander of the Battle-Barge Thunder Child, Zadkiel protected those sons and daughters of Colchis who fled the corruption and foul worship of the Chaos Gods introduced by Kor Phaeron - their self-proclaimed prophet - with his life. As the refugee fleet, led by the merchant freighter Galactica, headed to meet with Lorgar's ships, the Thunder Child held them off, ramming through two Heretic ships and destroying a third with its guns, being crippled in the process. As the Heretics boarded the Thunder Child, Zadkiel blew the reactor, destroying a fourth Heretic vessel, reducing the Thunder Child to flaming wreckage, and killing over 1000 Heretics.

~*~

From the Dictats of Terra

IMPERIAL ORDER 4957

All Astartes forces not presently engaged in combat actions are hereby, by the Will of the Emperor, recalled to and ordered to reinforce Terra against possible assault. Refusal to follow this order will be taken as proof of disloyalty.

The Emperor of Mankind

~*~

Fight on. We are coming.

- Mortarion, astropathic message to the defenders of Terra

~*~

I will show you why you once feared the dark.

- Zso Sahaal to the defenders of Nordafrik, Siege of Terra

~*~

...And the Primarch Lorgar did descend, and behold, he came in glory, like unto his Father the Emperor, and the veterans of many a war came with him. And their faith was like a sharpened sword, and with them came the Death Guard, and the Thousand Sons. And the defenders of the Palace, the Iron Warriors, the Sons of Horus, the Emperor's Children, World Eaters and Raven Guard, they fought with renewed vigour, and Sanguinius had fallen, by the sacrifice of the Emperor and the hand of Horus, and the Heretics, led by the wretched Sainguinar Bloodwing, fled to the Segmentum Obscurus, at the coming of the Primarch Lorgar...

~*~

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

- Last transmission of Brother-Captain Alejandro, Emperor's Children
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-08-11, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Chapter Ten: Revelations and Fragments of the Aftermath

Word Bearers Heavy Support Squad of the First Chapter, Scourging of Colchis

~*~

Daemons rampaging on Terra's soil.

~*~

The Proclamation of Lorgar: Creation of the Grey Knights

The First Chapter of the Word Bearers Legion, the Chapter of the Blazing Blade, has suffered grievous losses upon Colchis, 986 Marines lost to combat actions, their very gene-seed unrecoverable due to the planet's destruction. They barely exist as a fighting force anymore. It is thus that I reform the Blazing Blade as a new First Chapter - the Grey Knights, in which will be concentrated the psykers of the Legion and what suits of Tactical Dreadnought Armour remain. The old symbol of the Blazing Blade - two swords crossed, superimposed over a flame - is to be retired along with the name, in honour of their sacrifice in Kor Phaeron's black cathedral, his fortress of apostasy that has now been torn down. The Grey Knights will be enemies of all that is corrupt in the universe, especially the dark gods, the Ruinous Powers the wretched heretics serve. They will be initiated into our darkest secrets, and will serve under Librarian-Master Tartaron and my personal direction. Thus has it been written, so will it be done.

Transcribed 014.M31, After the Breaking of the Siege of Terra

~*~

Private Letter from Primarch Magnus to Lorgar, Archives of the Thousand Sons

I must warn you, Lorgar.

My Brother, friend, there are things in the Immaterium. Not mere xenos, no, far worse. 'Daemon' is the best word men can use to describe such things, for they are man's nightmares given flesh. The Emperor says they have no guiding intelligence, no ultimate goal. He is wrong. They serve four Powers, the greatest and most terrible of their kind. I will not write their names here, but they are malice incarnate. Worship the Emperor if you wish, but do not make obeisance to these beings, for they will destroy you body and soul. Lorgar, I warn you further. With my psyker's gift I have seen something foul at your Legion's heart, connected to these powers of the Warp and the old religion of your homeworld. Trust no-one, not your childhood friend, not even your closest Battle-Brother. Do not listen to those who say you must worship these beings, no matter what guise they take. I beg you.

Your Friend, Magnus

Sent 005.M31

~*~

No daemon-curse shall stay our blade;
Nor traitor-spawn or Renegade;
Eternal is our Crusade!

- Extract from the Six-Hundred and Sixty-Six Secret Incantations of the Word Bearers Legion

~*~

Kill every last psyker-whelp! Please the Blood God with massacre!

- Bjorn Fellhand, Space Wolf Champion of Khorne, Razing of the Scholastica Psykana upon Terra

~*~

Bear witness to my ASCENSION!

- Leman Russ, Terra

~*~

Adepts of Mars, you have 72 hours to surrender totally and join my forces. If you do not do so, an example will be made of you.

- Sanguinius' transmission to Mars

~*~

Painting of Mechanicum forces during the Battle of Mars

~*~

Attack and destroy! Destroy and rejoice!

- Battle-cry of the Iron Hands
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-09-11, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Chapter Eleven: The Shadow War

A Vindicare Assassin

~*~

From The Alpha Legion: A Secret History

...The Alpha Legion have never been particularly forthcoming with their records, and so I have often been forced to make do with records of other Imperial organisations. It is a known fact that the Emperor himself ordered Primarch Alpharius to slow down Sanguinius' forces by any means necessary as the defenders of Terra dug in and prepared for a siege. The subterfuge and strategic genius of Alpharius was used to good effect. Sudden ambushes, assassinations and hit-and-fade attacks, as well as raids upon Sanguinius' supply lines, delayed him by an estimated six months, during which time the Sons of Horus and Iron Warriors arrived on Terra, massively boosting the Loyalist numbers. In fact, some believe that the actions of the Alpha Legion saved the Imperium, yet they have never sought recognition for these actions, preferring to stay in the shadows...

~*~

Alpha Legionnaires fighting traitors on an unknown world

~*~

From the Chronicle of the Siege of Terra

13th day. Magnus wept when he heard of what Leman Russ' savages had done at the Scholastica Psykana, but a fury seems to have been awoken in him. Mars still resists, and is drawing off Sanguinius' forces, even after Kelbor Hal's destruction and Vulkan's sacrifice. The Emperor is thinking up a plan, it seems that he intends to draw Sanguinius into a trap. The Iron Hands are running rampant in Merica and the Night Lords are slaughtering Nordafrik and Yndonesia. The bombardment continues. I hope we can survive...

~*~

Witness the Black Pariah and know your doom!

- Erebus, aboard the Diabolicum, 999.M41

~*~

...Perhaps the most horrific monstrosity the powers of Chaos created during the Heresy was the entity designated 'Spear', also known as the Black Pariah. He is reported to have massacred three whole Companies of Thousand Sons during the first Storming of the Diabolicum, which took place during the Heresy, and is rumoured to have been intended to be the Emperor's assassin. When the Diabolicum vanished into the Warp during the Heretics' flight from Terra, Spear was assumed killed. This may not have been the case, as when the Diabolicum was stormed successfully in 999.M41, a Culexus-like entity is reported to have slain a number of Word Bearers before Heavy Bolter fire destroyed it. This may have been Spear, but as the Diabolicum was destroyed, no evidence remains...

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-09-11, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Chapter Twelve: Ancient Enemies

Vox-Record: Battle of Tanakreg, 997.M41

Chapter Master Kaldrion: What manner of beast are you, fiend? I'd like to know before the bolt-round finds your heart.

Mysterious Figure: Oh, you holy fool. I am the Temptation, I am the terror in your waking nightmares, the Voice of Chaos, the Prophet of the True Gods. But you may call me Kor Phaeron, if you wish.

Kaldrion: Silence, Heretic. Kor Phaeron has been dead for ten thousand years!

Kor Phaeron: The Dark Gods have given me new flesh. Oh, and what wondrous flesh! The body of a true Astartes, the soul and mind cast aside before the majesty that is Kor Phaeron!

Kaldrion: Then die once more.

Kor Phaeron: We'll see about that, wretch!

(Vox-Record ends)

~*~

From Weapons of the Legiones Astartes

...The Word Bearers make heavy use of the 'Holocaust' bolt-round. Instead of a standard explosive, the Holocaust-round contains sanctified Promethium that burns the target from inside. Such rounds have been noted to cause extra-ordinary damage to the minions of the Chaos Gods, both mortal and daemonic...

~*~

From the Liber Hereticus:

...Bjorn Fellhand of the Space Wolves is named as such because he lost his right hand at Prospero to a Thousand Sons bolt-round. However, on a distant world Bjorn found a new augmetic hand, forged of brazen malevolence in the Realm of Chaos itself, perpetually soaked in blood and whispering continuously to him. Since that day, Bjorn grew in instability greatly, even compared to his Legion. The Fellhand, as he is called, single-handedly slaughtered all the novices and instructors of the Scholastica Psykana, earning the eternal enmity of the Thousand Sons. After his Legion's defeat at Terra, Bjorn left in disgust and drove out on his own, appearing through the Warp as an omen of great battle and slaughter, most of it caused by himself. His threat level is rated as Extremis, just short of Extremis Maxima, the highest possible threat...

~*~

World Eaters on Terra

~*~

First Captain Kaesoron speaking to the Emperor's Children

~*~

The Space Wolves pour at the walls. The Night Lords transmit vid-captures of their atrocities. The Death Knights advance on us with the patience of a terminal disease. Erebus' fanatics invoke daemons. The Blood Angels are led by Sanguinius, the Arch-Traitor himself. The Iron Hands pound at our defences. The White Scars unleash Warp-fire. And the Dark Angels assault without relent. And shall we, Children of the Emperor, say that we shall let them pass? Shall we let them slay the Master of Mankind? Or shall we fight? Even if we are all slain, even if the gene-line of Fulgrim is cut short and his body defiled by these traitors, let them remember that we, we Emperor's Children, gave them a battle that they never forgot! And so, prepare weapons. Make ready to kill, Third Legio!

- Julius Kaesoron's speech to the Emperor's Children Legion, given on the hundredth day of the Siege. Preserved in gold script in their primary fortress on Terra.

~*~

Victory brought through senseless assault is no true victory.

- Legion Master Kharn, Meditations on Victory

~*~

Adeptus Custodes, Battle of the Golden Throne
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-11, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

I have to ask this question - why not a single comment?...

Chapter Thirteen: Lamentatio Martis

Vox-Record: The Wormwood, Flagship of Sanguinius

Ferrus: Titan is fallen. There is no resistance beyond the Belt.

Sanguinius: Then, we make Mars suffer for its defiance. Is the Weapon ready?

Ferrus: The Daemoncant, or the Hammer?

Sanguinius: The Daemoncant.

Ferrus: Yes, the Daemoncant is ready for transmission.

Sanguinius: We attack now, then!

~*~

Iron Warriors tactical squad, Siege of Terra

~*~

Salamanders fighting during the Martian dusk (inaccurate depiction; created M37)

~*~

From Historia Martis

...When Sanguinius unleashed the Daemoncant on Mars, all Hell broke loose on the planet. The Daemoncant was part meme-weapon, part logic-virus, and part direct invocation of the Powers of Chaos. The factories turned on their masters, as men tore each other apart in mad rages, tech-priests being consumed by their implants and transformed into ravening machine-monsters that haunt Mars to this day. Riots in the crowded Hives killed many, as everything that could go wrong in the grand system that was the Forge World went wrong. Fail-safes faltered, as seventy-five percent of the population died in the great slaughter. Then the Daemoncant destroyed itself, purging itself from all the systems it had infected. It had been intended as a mere warning shot, but still Kelbor Hal was defiant. All the remaining forces of the Forge World, the Salamanders Legion, the Titan Legions Mortis and Ignatum, the tech-guard, everything that could be mustered, prepared to bleed Sanguinius as much as they could.

The Prince of Oblierators, Gabriel Santar of the Iron Hands, made planetfall at Valles Marineris, leading a war-host of 1,000 Obliterators. The Legio Mortis Imperator Dies Irae was destroyed at the canyon, torn between fending off the Iron Hands ships in orbit and defending itself from the Obliterator-host. With it gone, the Iron Hands landed en masse, led by their Primarch, Ferrus Manus. The living metal that had covered his hands was now extruding tendrils through his body, increasing his stamina beyond even his brother Primarchs. But even he was to meet stiff resistance. The Skitarii tech-guard defended the Magma City courageously - at the battle's climax, Adept Koriel Zeth released the magma - destroying the city - rather than see her life's work perverted. The Seventh Company of the Iron Hands, sent into the Noctis Labyrinthis, vanished after reporting the existence of a 'nameless terror' in the region - from that point on, the area was avoided by both sides.

At the defence of Olympus Mons, the engine Aquila Ignis of the Legio Mortis single-handedly held off hordes of traitor soldiers and the Obliterator Host of Gabriel Santar, now increased to 2,000 members. But then something happened that had been inevitable from the moment the Daemoncant was transmitted. The seals on the Vaults of Moravec failed. The daemon-engines within had long festered in the darkness, their hatred growing day by lightless day. They burst from the shadows, killing all in their path, rampaging toward the Omnissiah's temple. But far, far worse was to come. The Lord of Change Ghargatuloth, one of Tzeentch's greatest servants, possessed the Aquila Ignis, overpowering both the Princeps and Machine Spirit of the Imperator Titan. The Titan began to spray Warpfire, and turned its guns on its fellow engines, destroying them. The Iron Hands surged forward towards a breach in the walls of Kelbor Hal's fortress, only one figure standing before them.

Vulkan.

The Primarch slew Iron Hand after Iron Hand, until Ferrus Manus came forth, climbing atop a heap of his Legion's dead. The battle was brief, Ferrus breaking Vulkan over his knee after ten minutes of struggle, then casting the body aside. The Salamanders had lost their Primarch. Then, in the throes of victory, the living metal, empowered by Chaos, consumed Ferrus, transforming him into a Daemon Prince, a monster made entirely out of Warp-power and Empyrean-touched living metal. Ferrus' first words as a Daemon were simple - 'Kill all in your path'. And that the Iron Hands gladly did. The Salamanders retreated to their Battle-Barge, Hammer of Nocturne, but many tech-priests were not so lucky. Kelbor Hal was slain in combat with three daemon-engines, buying time for the populace of Olympus Mons to seek refuge in the Temple of the Omnissiah. When the Iron Hands reached the Temple, they found a silvery barrier that resisted even the mightiest guns of Aquila Ignis, and that none of their number could pass, not even the mightiest daemon engine, without being consumed in white flame. It was a sorcerous ward laid by Magnus on his way to Terra, and it ensured that the Temple, with its stores of STC data, remained undefiled for the remaining duration of the Heresy. The daemon-engines of the mad, long-deceased technomancer Moravec obeyed the will of Ferrus Manus, who kept only a token number of Iron Hands on Mars, for Sanguinius desired a greater prize.

Terra.
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-11, 11:19 PM

This is Genius! And very well written, you perfectly captured the style.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-11, 04:17 PM

polynike's Flag is: Gibraltar

Very well written indeed, great style and feeling to this. Seems more plausible in a way! Space Wolves of Khorne, loving it

The Emperor Protects
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-11, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Chapter Fourteen: Dolor Terrae, Dolor Terrae!

From Historia Sancta Terra

For six days Sanguinius' fleet bombarded Terra. The planet's shielding ameliorated the bombardment, but the greater part of the oceans boiled and the crust was riven by the titanic forces unleashed. However, the Emperor's Palace withstood the bombardment. On the seventh day, Sanguinius' forces descended - plague-ravaged Death Knights, cyber-augmented Iron Hands, terror-bringing Night Lords, blood-maddened Space Wolves, the Dark Angels and Sanguinius' own Legion, the Blood Angels. And they had worse with them - the possessed Imperator Aquila Ignis, the daemon-engines of Moravec, and uncountable numbers of the Lost and the Damned. Mutants gibbered and cackled, as daemons made ready to burst from the Immaterium in search of blood and souls. The initial landings in the continents of Europae and Merica were heavily contested, but the beach-heads were taken and held with pathetic ease. King's Mountain in Jermani fell to the Space Wolves with great slaughter, as the Prince of Obliterators laid waste to the Merican city of Nova Yourk.

A horde of mutants, among many unleashed by the traitor hordes at Terra

By the eighth day of the Siege, the traitors had deployed the vast majority of their might. They swept through Europae on their way to the Palace, which was located in the iron peaks of Himalaya. Warsmith Khobotov of the Iron Warriors, assigned to the Byzant region of Terra, stood in their path with a mere hundred Marines. The Dark Angels, though they were led personally by Lion El'Johnson, faced cunning stratagems and great fortresses - as well as Khobotov's tactical genius, which delayed them greatly. At the last, in his dying moments, Khobotov spat in the Lion's face before blowing the reactor of Konstantin hive-complex, killing 2,000 Dark Angels, collapsing the Hive, and crushing Lion El'Johnson under a mountain of adamantium and plasteel. On the twelfth day, Bjorn Fellhand of the Space Wolves slaughtered the novices and instructors of the Scholastica Psykana, creating an Immaterium-rift from which poured hundreds of daemons to ravage Terra. There was little the common citizens could do but wait for death and hope it would be swift.

Emperor's Children Terminators fighting in the Siege of Terra

Constantin Valdor rushing into combat

The 55th day marked the beginning of the Siege of the Imperial Palace. Perturabo's fortifications held fast, as the Space Wolves threw host after host at the great battlements of adamantium and ferrocrete, taking heavy losses each time. Magnus the Red and the Emperor's chief advisor Malcador had also added to the defences, creating sigilic wards that destroyed all daemons that attempted to breach Perturabo's battlements. On the 57th day, the possessed Titan Aquila Ignis assailed the walls, however Magnus unleashed his full power, ripping the Titan apart and snuffing out the essence of the daemon within with blazing white fire, though the effort wearied him greatly. On the 60th day, the Obliterator Host of Gabriel Santar arrived at the Palace, breaching the walls, and Magnus' wards, with massed fire. Leman Russ led the charge, tossing all attackers aside with his mighty daemon-blade. The Emperor's Children fought like maniacs in the Palace Grounds, the ornamental pools and streams running red with the blood of traitors. The Sons of Horus and Iron Warriors fought with courage too, but all the loyalists were eventually forced to fall back to the Sanctum Imperialis, the very chamber of the Golden Throne.

Emperor's Children fighting in the Palace Grounds

For 33 days, the Eternity Gate endured savage bombardment, ceaseless assault, but it would not break. On the hundred-and-eighth day of the Siege, Sanguinius deployed the Hammer, a weapon devised by Ferrus Manus of the Iron Hands. The Hammer fired a beam of raw, uncontrolled Warp-energy right at the Gate, destroying itself in the process, even its daemon-infused structures unable to withstand the power it had unleashed. But the Eternity Gate was breached. Sanguinius was first to advance into the Sanctum Imperialis, followed closely by the Sanguinary Guard. Gone was the gold of his hair, replaced by night-black strands, and the white feathers of his wings were replaced by tendrils of darkness, and the dark light of Chaos shone in his eyes. Gone were all traces of morality or empathy. Malcador channeled the most powerful psychic attack he could muster, sacrificing himself in a desperate attempt to destroy the Fallen Angel, but Sanguinius was totally unharmed. The duel between Sanguinius and the Emperor was epic, the two gods hovering in the air while mere mortals fought below. Sanguinius cast the Emperor's body to the ground, sorely wounded, but before he could strike the killing blow a humble Imperial Army soldier, Ollanius Pius, stood between him and the Emperor. Sanguinius laughed, coldly and cruelly, and vapourised the soldier with but a glance. The Emperor saw now the full measure of his son's corruption, and with a single blow of his sword obliterated him body and soul before unleashing his power on the traitors before him.

That was when Lorgar arrived, leading the Legions that had not reached Terra in time. The Blood Angels had felt the death of their Primarch and the displays of power on Terra's surface as the Emperor drove back the traitors, and Lorgar's arrival rendered the situation absolutely untenable. First Captain Sanguinar Bloodwing ordered the retreat, but not before bombing the Hall of the Astronomican, damaging it beyond repair and making that guiding light begin to dim. To avoid the destruction of humanity, the Emperor ascended to the Golden Throne, from where he projects the light of the Astronomican still. The instant he ascended, it is said, the Astronomican blazed brighter than ever before. But such details mean little when compared to the overall result of the Siege. Terra had been saved. The Sanguinian Heresy was over.

But the Imperium continued, for nothing ever ends.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-11, 05:01 PM
Rattlehead

Beautiful. +Rep.

Almost better than the real Heresy (And if yours had an entire series of books written up on the details it would outclass the canon, certainly).

I didn't read the entire thing (My poor eyes!), but what happened to the Dark Angels?

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-11, 05:57 PM

I can only describe this in one word: perfect

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff > Homebrew 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode