Norms Knights Of Blood (The Fluffy Bit) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-10, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Default Norms Knights Of Blood (The Fluffy Bit)

This is what I've managed to get done so far, it's still a work in progress so please be gentle!
Any constructive comments/criticisms welcome.

Knights Of Blood
Blood Angels Successor
Founding, 7th
Home World: none
Colours, Gun metal and dark red
Battle cry, “For death and redemption!”

Chapter Master: Rimmon Damas

High Chaplain: Naberius

Chief Librarian: Andras Stolas

Sanguinary High Priest: Brother Uphir

1st Company: Death Company
Unlike many of their brothers, the Knights Of Blood aspire to join the ranks of the Death Company and see it as a great honour to become as one with their Primarch.
The Death Company are so highly revered that the Chapters veterans have stepped down and awarded the honour of the title of 1st Company to their brothers in the Death Company.
The Death Company are held in such high regard that they are not put to death even when they become a danger to their fellow battle brothers, instead they are placed in stasis until they are needed again. This has caused a great deal of friction between the Knights of Blood and Astorath the Grim as they have openly refused to allow him to perform his sacred duty and grant the fallen peace.

2nd Company: Veteran Company

3rd - 6th Companies: battle Companies

7th- 8th Companies: Tactical Companies

9th- 10th Companies: Assault Companies

The Knights Of Blood have no Devastator or Scout Companies.
Scouts are trained within the 7th to 10th companies.

The Knights of Blood are infamous for their extreme tactics and are seen as savage even by Flesh Tearers standards. They have been at odds with the Inquisition almost since their founding and relations with their founding Legion have often been tense and sometimes openly violent.
They have committed terrible atrocities including the massacres of Cadon, Obsus Prima and Helka II, for which they were finally declared renegade by the High Lords of Terra.
An Inquisitorial strike force was sent to subdue the chapter and to bring Rimmon Damas, the Chapter Master, to Terra to stand trial for his chapters crimes. The strike force was destroyed in an ambush and the Inquisitors flag ship was boarded by the Knights Of Blood.
One year later the inquisitors head was delivered to the High Lords of Terra with a note that simply read “Your request is respectfully declined”.
Since they were declared renegade the Knights Of Blood have remained at the forefront of the battles against the Imperium’s enemies but have continued in their use of extreme and brutal tactics including the Ornsworld massacre where they were held responsible for the deaths of over ninety percent of the population.
Intercepting a distress call the Knights of Blood fleet dispatched a strike force to aid the defenders against reported Chaos attackers. When the strike force arrived they found the attackers to be no more than a small detachment of Traitor Guard, numbering no more than three hundred with minimal heavy support. Disgusted by the Ratlings cowardice against such an insignificant foe they launched a full attack on the unsuspecting Guardsmen.
The Traitors could not hope to survive the frenzied attack, the first and only warning they got was the roar of Storm Ravens as they flew overhead deploying their savage cargo into the heart of the Guardsmen‘s encampment.
Ratling snipers watched the slaughter from a safe distance, terrified by the brutality of the killing they thought that another Chaos force had arrived and opened fire on the Knights of Blood. In the opening salvo six Marines were killed, moments later the Knights of Blood were among the Ratlings.
Their rage now well and truly stoked ,the Knights of Blood went on the rampage, a message was sent to the fleet about the Ratlings treachery and the first company was dispatched to teach the Abhumans a lesson.
Released from stasis, one hundred and twenty Death Company Marines descended on Ornsworld and the single greatest atrocity of the Knights of Blood’s long, brutal history began.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-10, 11:43 PM

Initiate's Flag is: Iran

Hi norm. It looks pretty good, especially for a first draft. The one thing you have to work on is forming your sentences and using punctuation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post
1st Company: Death Company
Unlike many of their brothers, the Knights Of Blood aspire to join the ranks of the Death Company and see it as a great honour to become as one with their Primarch.
The problem here is that the Primarch wasn't like that. The Rage is brought on by the memories of Sanguinuis' death, or so I've read, and since Sanguinuis had no memories of his own death (wut?) I'd think he never succumbed to it.

Quote:
The Death Company are so highly revered that the Chapters veterans have stepped down and awarded the honour of the title of 1st Company to their brothers in the Death Company.
A very nice gesture by the vets, and a great way to add a little bit of flavor.

Quote:
The Death Company are held in such high regard that they are not put to death even when they become a danger to their fellow battle brothers, instead they are placed in stasis until they are needed again.
This actually reminds me of my own chapter, except that the Death Company are kept in cryogenic chambers deep in the Fortress Monastery .

Quote:
The Knights Of Blood have no Devastator or Scout Companies.
Scouts are trained within the 7th to 10th companies.
Fair enough. I usually wouldn't let the scouts go, but your chapter seems to be pretty deviant.

Quote:
The Knights of Blood are infamous for their extreme tactics and are seen as savage even by Flesh Tearers standards.
That is savage.

Quote:
They have been at odds with the Inquisition almost since their founding and relations with their founding Legion have often been tense and sometimes openly violent.
Very good, I just love conflicts with parent chapters. However, you may want to phrase the above differently. Try something like: "...the Inquisition since their very creation, and tense, sometimes violent, clashes with their Progenitor chapter are not uncommon."

Quote:
They have committed terrible atrocities including the massacres of Cadon, Obsus Prima and Helka II, for which they were finally declared renegade by the High Lords of Terra.
I'm not sure if its the High Lords who declare chapters renegade, it might just be the Inquisition. Just a quibble though.

Quote:
An Inquisitorial strike force was sent to subdue the chapter and to bring Rimmon Damas, the Chapter Master, to Terra to stand trial for his chapters crimes. The strike force was destroyed in an ambush and the Inquisitors flag ship was boarded by the Knights Of Blood.
This is the first major problem...
I know that it is very dramatic and medieval-y to bring the leader of the chapter in for a trial, I also know how this sets up your next little line that provides some much needed insight into the humour of Astartes. However, things are not done like that in the Imperium.

The High Lords of Terra are far too busy to trouble themselves with every single renegade chapter that slaughters a puny world's inhabitants. They delegate tasks like these to the munitorum, who notifies the Inquisition, who then send some ships over to bomb the crap out of whoever pissed off the higher-ups. No captures, no trial. If you do something against the Emperor's Will, the punishment is death, or, in rare cases, a penance crusade.

Quote:
One year later the inquisitors head was delivered to the High Lords of Terra with a note that simply read “Your request is respectfully declined”.
Lol. If I was sending an Inquisitor's head to the High Lords, I would put a camera in the eye socket so I could see their faces.

By the by, where do the High Lords live? Because I don't think you can just mail it there. And the poor delivery boy would probably have been shot.

Quote:
Since they were declared renegade the Knights Of Blood have remained at the forefront of the battles against the Imperium’s enemies but have continued in their use of extreme and brutal tactics including the Ornsworld massacre where they were held responsible for the...
Like I mentioned before, you skip a lot of punctuation. Here, you skip all of it. You should consider writing shorter sentences, if only for the purposes of clarity.

Quote:
deaths of over ninety percent of the population.
Oh damn. How big a world was this? Because as badass as that sounds, I'm for thinking it is hard to kill that many people.

Quote:
Intercepting a distress call the Knights of Blood fleet dispatched a strike force to aid the defenders against reported Chaos attackers. When the strike force arrived they found the attackers to be no more than a small detachment of Traitor Guard, numbering no more than three hundred with minimal heavy support. Disgusted by the Ratlings cowardice against such an insignificant foe they launched a full attack on the unsuspecting Guardsmen.
Once again, adding punctuation really makes these things easier to read.

Try not to use the same expression or word to often or in rapid succession. Also, what Ratlings? You never mentioned them when you talked about the distress call.

Quote:
The Traitors could not hope to survive the frenzied attack, the first and only warning they got was the roar of Storm Ravens as they flew overhead deploying their savage cargo into the heart of the Guardsmen‘s encampment.
What are Storm Ravens? The only space marine gunships I've ever heard of are thunderhawks and stormbirds.

Quote:
Ratling snipers watched the slaughter from a safe distance, terrified by the brutality of the killing they thought that another Chaos force had arrived and opened fire on the Knights of Blood.
It seems that you have forgotten a period here, or at least a "so".

Quote:
Their rage now well and truly stoked, the Knights of Blood went on the rampage, a message was sent to the fleet about the Ratlings treachery and the first company was dispatched to teach the Abhumans a lesson.
Instead of "the rampage", you want "a rampage".

Quote:
Released from stasis, one hundred and twenty Death Company Marines descended on Ornsworld and the single greatest atrocity of the Knights of Blood’s long, brutal history began.
If the 1st company has more than one hundred marines, that means that some other company has less. It would be important to note such differences from codex organisation.

So all in all, I've seen much worse. Remember that its your chapter and you reserve the right to wipe your ass with my criticism.

"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for."
-Socrates
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-10, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

My apologies for poor punctuation, it was late and I was a bit half hearted in reading it back through.

"...knights of blood were finally decreed renegade by the High Lords of Terra."
Codex: Blood Angels (page 54)

If a Chapter has managed to gain the attention of the High Lords of Terra then I would assume they would want the problem dealt with pretty swiftly.

The massacre of Ornsworld is listed on Lexicanum, it is a Ratling home world decimated by the Knights Of Blood.

As for the size of the First/Death Company. Company sizes vary from chapter to chapter, the KoB's first company is filled by those who have fallen to the black rage and not in accordance to the Codex Astartes.
The other nine companies are kept at roughly 100 strong plus initiates, Dreadnoughts etc.
The Kob also don't put their DC to death, they keep them in stasis so the numbers would be higher than other Chapters.
As I understand it, when a BA falls to the Black Rage he relives the final moments of Sanguinius and his battle with Horus. The Kob see that as joining with their Primarch in his last moments and therefore "becoming as one with Him".

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-10, 11:00 PM

Initiate's Flag is: Iran

No need to apologize at all.

As for your explanations, thanks for making that clear, I had no idea that the Knights of Blood were a GW chapter, I'd thought that you had made them up yourself.

In any case, continue to add more stuff and flesh them out, I want to read more.

"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for."
-Socrates
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-10, 06:16 AM

Tolisk's Flag is: USA

Nice job, i like the idea of brutal space marines very much.
Does this mean that they are hinged on assault marines much more then other chapters?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-10, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay fluff fans, I've written and re-written this more times than I care to remember!
I've checked what i can grammar wise but there are probably still a few cock ups here and there.
Any way enjoy and, as always, C&C welcome!

“Dark days behind us and darker days to come.”
A chapter with such a blood soaked history as the Knights Of Blood will inevitably attract the attentions of the Ruinous Powers. Chapter Masters have fought a constant secret war, kept from the attention of all but the chapter’s most high-ranking servants against the ever-present threat of Heresy.
Sometimes the hard work of the Chapter Master is not enough, sometimes Heresy takes root.
A constant reminder to the whole chapter is the fate of their first High Chaplain, Cromlech.
After serving the Chapter for little over a century, Cromlech fell to the Black Rage while leading the prayers of the chapter.
The rites and rituals were performed and Cromlech was inducted into the Death Company to die in glorious battle in the name of the Emperor.
The battle was fought on a feral world in the Reef Stars, Sarim 12, a planetary backwater that was only remarkable for its remoteness and insignificance. The Imperium would not have even noticed had it not been for the Knights Of Blood tracking an apparently lost Ork Hulk to the system.
The Ork ship was destroyed in orbit over Sarim 12 but not before the green skins had managed to release smaller ships to the planet’s surface. Units were dispatched to mop up those who had escaped the ship.

It was not Orks they found but a World Eaters warband who had reduced the population of Sarim 12 to a pile of bones and skulls.
The Knights Of Blood attacked the heretics, reinforcements arriving via drop pod and Storm Raven including the Death Company and its newest inductee, Cromlech.
Insane blood lust swallowed both sides and the Knights Of Blood earned their now infamous reputation for fast, brutal, close combat.
At the head of the charge was Cromlech, swinging his chainsword in a violent whirlwind of rage. His plasma pistol was gone, over use had caused the weapon to over heat and explode leaving Cromlech’s left arm a bloody, tattered remnant hanging limply at his side.
When Cromlech’s chainsword was smashed from his grasp, he took up the closest weapon to him, a huge axe from a slain Champion.
He swung the massive weapon one handed and continued to slaughter the traitors. However, with each swing of the axe and each drop of blood spilled Chaos clawed more deeply at his soul.
The massive axe was possessed by a powerful Daemon of Khorne and with each soul it took the Daemon exerted it’s will over the former Chaplain.

What happened next has become legend within the chapter. The Daemon of Khorne burst from the weapon in an explosion of burning sulphur, blood and bone. The surviving Knights of Blood threw themselves at the monstrosity in a valiant attempt to bring the warp creature down. Nevertheless, as valiant as the attack was, it was futile. The Knights of Blood had already suffered heavy losses against the Berserkers and were no match for the Daemon. As the broken bodies began to pile around him Cromlech rose from the carnage, his armour smoking and changed, wreathed in flames he took up the huge axe again and hit the igniters on his jump pack. Screaming through the air on plumes of flame and black smoke Cromlech’s final words were heard across the battlefield “For the Emperor!”
The axe struck the Daemon and in a thunderous roar and blinding flash of light, the Daemon was cleaved in two.
As the thing evaporated back to the warp Cromlech’s body dropped to the floor.
The few survivors, no more than twenty five Marines, returned to their ships carrying Cromlech’s broken body still encased within his warped armour. The Apothacaries opened the armour to find what remained of Cromlech was no more than a withered husk.
Chapter serfs and servitors were tasked with gathering what information they could from the armour’s tortured machine spirit. Most of the data was as expected, the release of painkillers and stimulants after the explosion of the plasma pistol, the registering of wounds as Cromlech had continued to fight on.
The serfs even managed to pinpoint the moment when the Daemon burst into the materium; it was the moment all life signs for Cromlech stopped.
Some at the time said it was the blast that had knocked out the armours internal sensors and that cromlech must have somehow lived on. Others claimed that it was in fact the spirit of Sanguinius himself or even the Emperor who had roused Cromlech from death to slay the Daemon.

Cromlech’s armour still exists and is worn with honour by the Chapter’s high Chaplain, Naberius. Where the Inquisition would see the armour as tainted by Chaos the Knights Of Blood choose to see it as an example of how Chaos can be defeated. Even more galling to the Inquisition is the fact that Naberius also carries the axe used by Cromlech, a former Daemon Weapon that still bears the image of the Daemon on its blade.

There we go, instalment number 2!

@Tolisk, yeah I'm currently working on getting a decent sized force together nearly all based on Assault squads and fast attack (Even the Dreads gonna get a jump pack thanks to Wings of Sanguinius!)

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-12, 05:27 PM

love it man, I my self have a knights of blood army over 8000 pts worth. almost finished painting. I have been looking for more history with the chapter and am glad to have found your's. I have found a couple more stories that are interesting. there is a KOB dreadnought are in the 2nd omnibus who takes on a blood angel demon mutant. there is also reports of the KOB fighting in the battle were they were forced to ally with necrons after a tyrinid swarm showed up. after the battle Dante who was in charge of the blood angels withdrew as well as the necrons due to the exhaustion of the fight on both forces. It mentions that the KOB were there but not that the also withdrew. I could see them honoring the alliance forged with the necrons, in my personal fluff they are more concerned with taking the fight to chaos, orks, and nids due to the fact that they are out for the complete destruction of the imperium; since necrons in there new codex seem to have gone through an awakening of culture and honor I can clearly see one honored warrior respecting another enough to retreat and fight later with renewed strength.
keep it up and feel free to message me if you want any ideas I could bring to help fill out our chapter.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff > Homebrew 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode