Lovecraft Cthulhu Mythos Inspired Chaos army - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-10, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Entarion's Flag is: Czech Republic

Default Lovecraft Cthulhu Mythos Inspired Chaos army

UPDATE!! UPDATE!! UPDATE!!

Work-in-progress Mythos army
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=85004

1. Main Inspiration

I am the fanatic...fanatic to Lovecraft work. My interest doesn't include only his stories but almost all the stuff around. I read comic books like Fall of Cthulhu series, play board/card games like Arkham Horror, Call of Cthulhu LCG, watch movies like Dagon, Haunted Palace, Resurrected, play pc games CoC,Shadow of the Comet, Prisoner of Ice, listen to Cradle of Filth and so on. I really love his work and all what is based on it
Now I am happy that I can do something to show my real devotion.
Because Lovecraft work is complex and his followers expanded it a lot, there is no need to think up new things. I just want to bring his terrors and demons to „life“
So what is my inspiration. Part my imagition, part original stories, part graphic materials.

To graphic materials:
I own this book:

The Art Of H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos

It includes pictures from games Arkham Horror and Call of Cthulhu CCG/LCG. Beautiful book
I want Encyclopedia Cthulhiana because it is something like a list of all persons, creatures and places from Lovecraft stories, some games and fan stories.

Last Christmas I bought something very special

A Lovecraft Retrospective

http://www.awfulbooks.com/awfulbooks...Lovecraft.html

6 kg and more than 400 pages of best ilustrations. It’s like a „Bible“ for Lovecraft fans. It is hard to describe how beautiful it is. This book is my main inspiration for this project.

And yet there is one thing…the picture in my head which was probably never drawn. On the left side Outer Gods,Great Old Ones, servants, cultists and on the right side Chaos Gods/Daemons/Tyrranids/Space Marines and other clashing in enormous cataclysmatic battle. And in the middle of the picture: Sultan Azathoth himself….could be a very nice picture!! :D

2.Mythos is waking up.....

Mythos comes from outer dimension like Tyranids. They was there..before humans, before eldars..before Old Ones..they ruled the whole universe without limitations..nothing is known from which dimension they came and how the greatests of them were trapped in time and space..but when their reign of terror ended their servants hid themselves in every corner of universe waiting for their final awakening…
In aeons after they not much confront other races and their power was very limited..they ruled and dreamed in their own worlds..waiting for and opportunity to rise..
When more races settled galaxy, Outer gods sensed the chance. They slowly started to „infiltrate“ universe with their agents. Many events passed before they „showed“ their influence..
It was 6 thousand years after Heresy..
„…Long ago full band of CSM traveled to reach one planet. On that planet meeting had been held with Greater Deamon to seal new pact. But suddenly during meeting strange entities (Mythos) appeared from nowhere and attacked Deamons and CSM. Entities were destroyed, but their purpose weren’t to kill but to infect. In few moments all Demons and CSM started to change...incredible pain overwhelmed their flesh and brains. Then strange emissary appeared - tall Black Pharaoh...That was the first time when Chaos realized that there is something more terrible than them…“

„...Lets write few lines about what Mythos do. So the CSM were first victims to strange lifeform. Mythos is like virus. Everything what is in close contact to infected Mythos creature begin to transform into Mythos itself. First, unimaginable pain attack your brain and nerve system so you cannot move. Second, your flesh start to burn inside like you drank acid. Fresh flesh appear on your skin. But pain lasts forever. You cannot kill yourself and you cannot go mad. You are conscious and can feel every bit of pain. You can only follow the orders which flow through your mind. Even the death is no peace solution..because you are IMMORTAL. After fresh Mythos soldier is killed he is revived and destroyed body parts are substituted by Mythos flesh. So after few horrible deaths you start to become enormous horibble Mythos creature. But you still feel that horibble pain. With every death you lose piece of your "humanity"...than you can become mad...“
It's good to mention that diesease itself doesn't advance. If marine wont be killed or heavy injured (lose some part of body) he will look same. If injured or killed, special Mythos "doctor" implement "something" from his body to corpse or wound. In few hours, destroyed parts are regenerated but have Mythos look.
Mythos start to change you into another creature. So at the and (transformation to lesser daemon) marine will look completly different. During tranformation, random "Sign" is put on you so it's hard to say into what kind of monster you will be turned in the end.
Another important question: How to absolutely destroy Mythos? Nohow! Its same as Nidz..no wait!...Mythos is worse than Nidz because survivors are already dead...but they dont know it so they can infect much more people/orks/anything...so Mythos spreads more fastly.
And how to limit them to not overwhelm whole universe in few centuries. Simply! Only when stars are right! Outer Gods and the Old Ones can control their "armies". So when stars are not in proper constellation, heralds and messengers of the gods control the hosts..but Mythos cannot expand to other planets or travel through warp. Once a millenium one or more Gods are able to awake to material world and lead his armies...but Gods are waiting for ultimate awakening when all of them will arise and take control over universe!! Muahaha :D

This would be a fluff, in short. There is much much more to think up and I have hundreds of ideas. O will update this thread continuously.

3. Possible armies

Chaos/Daemons – Best choice to show Mythos evolution. They have both…human-like models and beasts.
Space Marines – You want me to harrow my beloved Space Marines?! I say NEVER!!! :D
Grey Knights - well, they never fell to chaos..what about facing Mythos nightmares.. are they strong enough?
Inqusition/Witch hunters/Imperial Guard/Tau – „inappropriate“ bodies but can play a role of cultists/mercs.
Eldars/Dark Eldars - they are somehow completly immune to Mythos virus. Doesn’t mean they cannot be killed
Necrons - impossible to mutate. Why? They are robots. Am I right?
Tyranids - they are adoptable to virus..after few of them are infected the other decode the code of virus and become immune to it.
Orkz - you really want to see some Ork conversions ? :D they are not immune but they cannot turn into any Mythos creature. They only become madder and mutated. (more mad?? :D)

4. Conversion

Goal: To look at least as horrible as chaos mutations but with different feeling. More then bitz from chaos spawn, posessed CSM and so on I will use my graphic materials to exactly copy look of models with bit of my own imagination and help of GS.

We can divide future models to two categories: Original Mythos x CSM/CD based. You probably know what I mean but let me explain.

Original Mythos: Mainly special characters like High Priest, Nyarlathotep, Mi-Go, Nightgaunt and so on. My intention here is to use any GW model which will fit best and then do a heavy conversion with a lot of sculpting to look really original.

CSM/CD based: At these models you should see at 1st sight from who they originated. For example some Dark Young/Terminator conversion. You’ll see that is not original Dark Young but CSM in Terminator armor being slowly transformed to Dark Young

My conversion ideas:

HQ – Heralds, Daemon prince

Troops - basic models of CSM/CD with Mythos signs - new recruits only with slight anomalies like converted hands, legs, heads.. then Chaos Marines who died more times so they have more signs of Mythos..

Elites - same as Troops but with heavier Mythos look.

Daemons – Only Original Mythos models. I mean, yes, Daemons can be infected but why to change daemons to another „daemons“ I don’t see useful to do such models. If I’ll do Deep one It will be Deep one, not Bloodletter slowly changing to Deep one. Best example is High Priest. I used Changeling model but you probably won’t recognize that Changeling was used.

Vehicles - Mythos cannot possess machine but flesh. But mighty Heralds wield power to transform in few moments whole vehicle with full squad inside. I’ll do probably only 1-2 vehicles just for showcase.

5. Painting

I need to only think up colour scheme for used CSM warband. All Mythos mutations will be painted according to original pictures or description in the stories.
Any suggestions? I want probably some dark scheme.

And I really want to use these Lovecraft runes

6. Army architecture

I am not decided yet. But it would be good to make playable army so I will try to choose models/creatures wisely according to their real function.. So for example Nightgaunts could be Fast Attack and so on ;)
But..as chaos gods are in war it’s little bit same with Outer gods/Great Old ones. So I want to choose those who can cooperate and so their servants…I expect your help with that because certainly don’t know everything.

7.Conclusion

It’s large project and I know that. Don’t expect many models soon, because I want every model special. It will take me years (yes, years) to complete but…

It will be fun!
Fhtagn!

Last edited by Entarion; 03-29-11 at 11:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-10, 03:37 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Intriguing concept.

How to you intend to keep the appearance different from normal Chaos mutations? Are you intending the mutations to be based on a specific Mythos artist?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-12-10, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Thank you.

You mean: wont it look like Plague Marines?? I think not, because I will use basic CSM models and make all mutations from GS. As I wrote fresh CSM recruits will have few anomalies on their bodies which appeared during transformation. It's good to mention that diesease itself doesn't advance. If marine wont be killed or heavy injured (lose some part of body) he will look same. If injured or killed, special Mythos "doctor" implement "something" from his body to corpse or wound. In few hours, destroyed parts are regenerated but have Mythos look. So there will be mix of light/heavy infected marines.

But to answer your question: Mythos virus is something different than Nurgle diseases so it will look different on models. Mythos start to change you into another creature. So at the and (transformation to lesser daemon) marine will look completly different. During tranformation, random "Sign" is put on you so it's hard to say into what kind of monster you will be turned in the end.

And yes I intend, lets call it better name, transformations to base on Mythos art. I own this book http://www.amazon.com/Art-H-P-Lovecrafts-Cthulhu-Mythos/dp/1589943074 which is full of pictures.
And I intend to buy ultimate book calledhttp://www.amazon.com/Lovecraft-Retrospective-Artists-Inspired-H-P/dp/1933618345 so I think it's quite a lot of graphic materials to create Mythos creatures without any Chaos God look

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-10, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-10, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entarion View Post
So nobody here who is interesting in Lovecraft themed chaos army??
Apart from me

Actually, I suspect quite a few people are watching silently waiting for more concrete progress; they will probably appear if you post some concept sketches or test models.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-10, 09:21 AM

Flayed 0ne's Flag is: USA

Icon

...big Mythos fan...it had occured to me that a "Cthulhu-Hybrid" army could almost be possible with 'Nids...or at least a very expensive alternative for "tenticle head" parts

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-10, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
Apart from me

Actually, I suspect quite a few people are watching silently waiting for more concrete progress; they will probably appear if you post some concept sketches or test models.
Yeah, you´re probably right. Actually I am working on my models for painting competition Warp Colours so after that i will slowly start to working on it

I have one idea for single model in my mind right now:
You certainly read DreamQuest to Unknown Kadath. Try to remember on part when Carter is caught by slant-eyed merchant and is dragged before
High-Priest Not To Be Described, which wears a yellow silken mask over its face and prays to the Other Gods and their crawling chaos Nyarlathotep

This High-Priest could be my first official model I think about using Changeling as a model with conversion of course Any other suggestions??

My first target before doing more models is to make a list of known/unknown entities of Mythos so I am trying to get Encyclopedia Cthulhiana
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-10, 07:21 PM

Great idea! I am a huge Lovecraft fan (as you can probably tell by my name). I've always wanted to do a Lovecraft themed army but I have never had enough time/I'm way to lazy. However at the mommnet I am writing a Lovecraft inspired piece of fiction that I',m thinking about posting on Heresy. it's about Cthulhu rising from beneath Terra and the chaos that follows. I think you've got a good idea with the high priest and the nid's conversion idea is pretty cool, and with the painting scheme, if you're going with a cthulhu-esque army I would say a deep green or blue, like deep one's. But if you're going with more Nyarlathotep type then it would be any colour

P.S Ia Shub Niggurath!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-10, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Oh Opener of the Gate itself!
Donť worry I am lazy too but i have so many beautiful ideas in my mind:D
Actually I am thinking about HPL inspired story too. Really lookin forward to you work;)

I will not do one-god-themed army, i want to comprehend all Mythos so there is no unified painting scheme..I will use some custom made Chaos warband...and turn it into Mythos...but when Mythos warband pases through universe it sometimes come across on other races...the question when Mythos army attack them if they will be changed or simply killed..

I mean: Can mythos change only CSM/SM/IG or everything even Nidz and Necrons??
Thats what i need to solve! Because it has to look real, that it belongs to W40k Universe
But I will probably use CSM/SM models from various warbands/chapters NOT IG because bodies of men are no suitable for Mythos hosts.
There is lot of work to do But it wil be fun!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-10, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entarion View Post
Can mythos change only CSM/SM/IG or everything even Nidz and Necrons??
As GW appear to have used the Mythos as a major inspiration for some of there less child friendly background it is hard t tell definitely.

However, if your Mythos can affect worshippers of the Chaos Gods and the Emperor then the C'Tan or other gods will be no obstacle to it altering Necrons and most races.

The tricky one is the Tyranids: on the one hand they are more tools than entities in their own right so corruption might not stick; on the other hand an endless horde of spawned monsters is very Ubo-Salatha.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff > Homebrew 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode