Help please :) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-08, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Ste

Ste's Flag is: United Kingdom

Help please :)

Im going to be writing a story based on the life of a single guardsmen, he will be the best shot etc so hes going to advance in the ranks but i wont be writing about his actual training for fear of getting it wrong. I will be writing from the day they graduate and go to battle.

He will be Private Leon Valentine, its a 1st person story.

I need help with the name though

what would you guys suggest????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-08, 10:41 PM

I like the premise of the story. I'd keep the name too but maybe spell it different somehow. Maybe "Valentyn".
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-08, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Ste

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHarvey View Post
I like the premise of the story. I'd keep the name too but maybe spell it different somehow. Maybe "Valentyn".
Ok What about the name of the story?

I was thinking maybe Ghosts Of Cadia although thats poor.

The Killing Fields?

ahh help please lol

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 03:12 AM
Unknown Soldier's Flag is: United Kingdom

My Bloody Valentine?

Seriously though, choose a defining moment from your story, a quote from one of the characters or even foreshadow (not give away) the ending.

E.g. If in the storay a Comissar says 'You fight or you die!', then you can call the story - 'Fight or Die' or if the final objective is to secure some sacred stones, call it 'Stone Dead' - a couple of fairly poor examples but you get the idea.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Ste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
My Bloody Valentine?

Seriously though, choose a defining moment from your story, a quote from one of the characters or even foreshadow (not give away) the ending.

E.g. If in the storay a Comissar says 'You fight or you die!', then you can call the story - 'Fight or Die' or if the final objective is to secure some sacred stones, call it 'Stone Dead' - a couple of fairly poor examples but you get the idea.
Oh rite ok well iwas going to have one of the generals tell the private welcome to the killing fields? so thats were i go the killing fields from.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 02:02 PM

If you're going for the Killing Fields, why not just call it Apocalyse Now or Platoon?

Again, just think about what your story is about - revenge, regret, the horrors of war, triumph from disaster, etc. and derive the title from that. Obviously, the Oscar winning movie, the Killing Fields probably won't exist in the 41st Century, so it's applicable that your General would say that. Unfortunately, the readers do live in this century and they'll just say 'Hardly an original title'.

If you really want to stick on the Killing Fields idea, change it to something else like 'The Stomping Ground' or 'The Grinder' or ' The Devil's Playground'. None of my suggestions are original but they are a little more obscure then 'The Killing Fields'.

A quick and easy solution might be to do some research into military history and steal a name from past conflicts, it will have that ring of authenticity but will be obscure enough that everyone will think you made it up.

Please understand that I'm not having a pop, just trying to be helpful.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Ste

Quote:
If you're going for the Killing Fields, why not just call it Apocalyse Now or Platoon?

Again, just think about what your story is about - revenge, regret, the horrors of war, triumph from disaster, etc. and derive the title from that. Obviously, the Oscar winning movie, the Killing Fields probably won't exist in the 41st Century, so it's applicable that your General would say that. Unfortunately, the readers do live in this century and they'll just say 'Hardly an original title'.

If you really want to stick on the Killing Fields idea, change it to something else like 'The Stomping Ground' or 'The Grinder' or ' The Devil's Playground'. None of my suggestions are original but they are a little more obscure then 'The Killing Fields'.

A quick and easy solution might be to do some research into military history and steal a name from past conflicts, it will have that ring of authenticity but will be obscure enough that everyone will think you made it up.

Please understand that I'm not having a pop, just trying to be helpful.
No thats fine Ermm Meat For The Grinder lol nah am joking

The Ghosts Of Cadia?

The Masters Of War?

The Dead Of War?

Vanquish Thine Enemy?

Suppression of war?

The Casaulty Of Truth?
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 06:09 PM

I like 'The Dead of War', sounds good and carries gravitas.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Ste

Quote:
I like 'The Dead of War', sounds good and carries gravitas.
ok thank you, also what about

The KIlling Grounds rather than the killing fields.

The death of war orthe dead of war?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 09:38 PM

The Dead of War or the Killing Grounds are both good. Choose whichever title will work best with your narrative.

The Death of War sounds like the war has ended and if the galactic conflict ever ends, Games Workshop will go bankrupt, so support the war effort.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff > Homebrew 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode