Chaos Tyranids - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-13-15, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
This is codex generalization, and you have overlooked use of the word majority there.
No, I didn't overlook it. The exception that "the majority" refers to could be anything the Tyrants, the Norn Queens, the Dominatrixi, it's also possible it's referring to a Fleshborer. The most likely is the Dominatrixi as they co-ordinate the movements of all the hive fleets.

Quote:
This does not necessarily mean a demonstration of intelligence. It could simply be warriors accessing memories of past encounters of a similar nature and applying it to the present. Remember that autonomy aside, all synapse creatures do have access to the Hive Mind's collective knowledge. This doesn't really prove one way or the other.
And the same could be said for Hive Tyrants, accessing memories of past encounters of a similar nature...

Anyway, the thread is about Tyranids existing in the Warp, not how intelligent a tyranid is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-17-15, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

You know, while looking though Wikia for any hints of any warp faring Tyranid strain I came across this beauty. The Psychneuein, what make this thing dangerous is it implants its egg into the brains of psykers, and the larvae eats the psyker alive... or until the psyker perils. Where have I read that before, of yes, the Parasite of Mortrex.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-17-15, 02:28 PM
Rattlehead

Psychneuien plant their eggs psychically, whereas the Parasite had a rather more traditional way of doing things IIRC, and I believe the Psychneuien were eradicated during the destruction of Prospero in M31.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-17-15, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
Psychneuien plant their eggs psychically, whereas the Parasite had a rather more traditional way of doing things IIRC, and I believe the Psychneuien were eradicated during the destruction of Prospero in M31.
Yes, via a hypodermic stinger. But, it does show a connection, the two read similar organisms. And you are thinking of the Prospero strain which is extinct because of the Horus Heresy, but that is only one strain, the Eldar codex says that they still infest the Webway. There are plenty of examples of suspected Tyranid DNA in planets long before Behemoth arrived.... Catachan Devil anyone?
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-17-15, 11:45 PM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodingman87 View Post
Yes, via a hypodermic stinger. But, it does show a connection, the two read similar organisms. And you are thinking of the Prospero strain which is extinct because of the Horus Heresy, but that is only one strain, the Eldar codex says that they still infest the Webway. There are plenty of examples of suspected Tyranid DNA in planets long before Behemoth arrived.... Catachan Devil anyone?
This discussion might actually be productive if you were willing to accept the possibility of being wrong. As it is, you're just clinging to the same notion and using any vague bit of lore to justify it.

Tyranids generally have six limbs. The catachan devil has dozens. Psychneuien could easily have evolved naturally in a galaxy rich with psyker capable races. Even the earliest hints of the tyranid race didn't appear until thousands of years after the Heresy.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-18-15, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
This discussion might actually be productive if you were willing to accept the possibility of being wrong. As it is, you're just clinging to the same notion and using any vague bit of lore to justify it.

Tyranids generally have six limbs. The catachan devil has dozens. Psychneuien could easily have evolved naturally in a galaxy rich with psyker capable races. Even the earliest hints of the tyranid race didn't appear until thousands of years after the Heresy.
Man, talk about pointing a finger and three point back, you haven't accepted the possibility of you being wrong yet! And bringing up new evidence and clues for review is a perfectly rational way to discuss something.

I'm sorry, I thought I posted this in the "Homebrew Fluff" section where you can make up your own fluff. My original post and the topic for this thread was about a loose end in the fluff that left an opportunity for a new thing to terrorize the galaxy. And the crazy thing is that it looks like Kreugar was trying to give me pointers on how to develop the idea, which I nearly forgot about because I was letting you derail the thread.

I'm going to get this thread back on track and if you'd like to contribute that's fine.
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-18-15, 02:10 AM
Feed

Quote:
Man, talk about pointing a finger and three point back, you haven't accepted the possibility of you being wrong yet! And bringing up new evidence and clues for review is a perfectly rational way to discuss something.
I am completely prepared to acknowledge being wrong. I just don't see it here. It was tyranids that got me into the hobby ten years ago, I've looked into their fluff from front to back from sources including the Imperial Armour books, every codex they have as well as any novel I could get a hold of featuring them.

I'm not just opposing your idea because of dislike or anything, I genuinely do not see it as being a possibility. That's all.

Quote:
I'm sorry, I thought I posted this in the "Homebrew Fluff" section where you can make up your own fluff. My original post and the topic for this thread was about a loose end in the fluff that left an opportunity for a new thing to terrorize the galaxy. And the crazy thing is that it looks like Kreugar was trying to give me pointers on how to develop the idea, which I nearly forgot about because I was letting you derail the thread.
Yes, but generally homebrews still fit within the boundaries of the lore. Also, you did ask what we think, so it's a bit rich to react this way just because flaws with your idea are being brought to light. That's generally how feedback works, you have to accept good and bad.

Quote:
I'm going to get this thread back on track and if you'd like to contribute that's fine.
Sorry, but I don't believe this ever left topic. You asked what we though of Chaos Tyranids, and the consensus seems to be that it ultimately won't happen. You are the only one trying to justify the idea.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-18-15, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
It was tyranids that got me into the hobby ten years ago, I've looked into their fluff from front to back from sources including the Imperial Armour books, every codex they have as well as any novel I could get a hold of featuring them.
Yeah, I want to say I've been into the hobby about 5 years now, I got into 40k when I pulled the WoW needle out of my arm. It was the Zerg that drew my to Tyranids. There was a few passages that really stood out... "The Hive Mind is jut a word to describe a collective consciousness", the fact that a Hive Tyrant is taking its orders from a guant was amazing. "Every Tyranid is a bio-engineered weapon"... The Tyranids evolve so fast that they were stagnate with the Tau.... A Biologist with the Ordo Xenos watching a Tyranid cell self evolve right in front of her eyes, undergoing an evolution that would have taken any other creature millions of years to do.... I got the impression very quickly that there is nothing that can stop the swarm, nowhere they can't go.

Quote:
Also, you did ask what we think, so it's a bit rich to react this way just because flaws with your idea are being brought to light. That's generally how feedback works, you have to accept good and bad.
Dude, that's part of being human, that's why it's called defending your idea. everybody gets worked up and defensive when flaws are announced.

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't believe this ever left topic. You asked what we though of Chaos Tyranids, and the consensus seems to be that it ultimately won't happen. You are the only one trying to justify the idea.
My Apologies... and not true, I do have a fan of my "warpsynthsis".

Last edited by Brodingman87; 06-18-15 at 03:21 AM.
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-20-15, 07:16 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Hey there, I was asking questions to help you work through whether this makes sense.

A fleet of chaos Tyranids doesn't seem very likely in the background that I know. The warping influence of chaos would likely be a cancer on the Tyranids evolution. The sort of thing the Tyranids themselves would purge as unhealthy. And I can't really see the hivemind succumbing to chaos.

The most likely scenarios I can think of are:

A) the early genestealer cult army. This could be dedicated to chaos. This isn't really Tyranids just a weird combo of genestealers/hybrids, pdf/guard, and chaos cult.

B) perhaps you could make some argument for a hive fleet or landing force where all the synapse creatures died, and the fleet left so the remaining creatures were disconnected from the hivemind and were vulnerable to possession.

I don't see a good argument to justify a whole hive fleet under the influence of chaos though.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

Last edited by Kreuger; 06-20-15 at 07:19 AM.
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-21-15, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
A fleet of chaos Tyranids doesn't seem very likely in the background that I know. The warping influence of chaos would likely be a cancer on the Tyranids evolution. The sort of thing the Tyranids themselves would purge as unhealthy. And I can't really see the hivemind succumbing to chaos.
Not my case at all...

Yes, some mutations would be negative and would most likely be purged for the genome.

What I am saying with the mutations is that some mutations would actually be beneficial and that the Tyranids would say that is cool, we need to start doing that.

And there is precedent for this in other organisms: The Zoanthrope came from Eldar, the Biovore came from Orks, the Genestealer comes from humans, etc.

Maybe the title Chaos Tyranids is a misnomer, a guess now a better word might be Warp Tyranids.

The Tyranids aren't falling to Chaos. Just for whatever reason finding their way into the Warp and though their incredible ability to adapt and bio-engineer, getting mutated by the Warp, doing away with the bad and keeping only the mutations that are good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff > Homebrew 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode