Black Wolves 3rd Company Veteran - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-13, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Slumberday's Avatar
Slumberday's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: On my Uncle's RTF...
Posts: 22
Reputation: 2
Default Black Wolves 3rd Company Veteran

This is a Veteran From 3rd Company Black Wolves Chapter. This paint scheme is supposed to coincide with The Space Marine Chapter Background Generator Result I came up with.


https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...t=83190&page=7



Comments? Critiques? Suggestions?


http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/s...pacemarine.jpg


Here is a simple Tactical Marine and 3 Variants

Simple Tactical Marine:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/s...pacemarine.jpg

Variant A (Sergeant):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/s...pacemarine.jpg

Variant B (Lieutenant):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/s...pacemarine.jpg

Variant C (Captain):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/s...pacemarine.jpg

Here is an Assault Marine and 3 variants

Simple Assault Marine:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/s...pacemarine.jpg

Variant A (Sergeant):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/s...pacemarine.jpg

Variant B (Lieutenant):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/s...pacemarine.jpg

Variant C (Captain):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/s...pacemarine.jpg

Here is the Command Unit with 9 variants

The HQ (Chapter Master):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/s...pacemarine.jpg

The Honor Guard:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/s...pacemarine.jpg

Variant A (Sergeant):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/s...pacemarine.jpg

Variant B (Lieutenant):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/s...pacemarine.jpg

Variant C (Captain):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/s...pacemarine.jpg

The Elite Honor Guard:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/s...pacemarine.jpg

Variant A (Sergeant):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/s...pacemarine.jpg

Variant B (Lieutenant):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/s...pacemarine.jpg

Variant C (Captain):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/s...pacemarine.jpg

Here is a devastator Marine and 3 variants

The Devastator Marine:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/s...pacemarine.jpg

Variant A (Sergeant):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/s...pacemarine.jpg

Variant B (Lieutenant):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/s...pacemarine.jpg

Variant C (Captain):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/s...pacemarine.jpg




Well that should cover the entire Unit Color Schemes and variations. Hint: The changes are minute (except for the armor itself).

Comments, Critiques, and Suggestions are welcomed. Thank you for taking a look.

Slumberday [/SIZE]

Last edited by Slumberday; 03-12-13 at 05:19 AM. Reason: New Link for Veteran Armor redo, and post is no longer at bottom of page. Also new models and scheme variants completed.
Slumberday is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-13, 07:03 PM
Senior Member
HOGGLORD's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: That place, you know. That place you went to that one time, surely you remember?
Posts: 891
Reputation: 6
Default

I would perhaps change Bloodthirsters to Bloodletters, as that would otherwise allow them to outstrip the skills of the grey knights, who are known to be pretty good in the daemon hunting area, you know, the ones that are called the daemon hunters?

I do, however like the style and scheme. Tad of decoration on the tabard perhaps? That's about it. Would like to see the fluff fleshed out a little.

Edit: Sorry if I sounded a little critical, I really do support your idea and like the look of them, what fluff there is seems great, just wish there was more.

HOGGLORD is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-13, 08:27 PM
Senior Member
 
BlackGuard's Avatar
BlackGuard's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: In the shadows ...
Posts: 703
Reputation: 6
Default

Sixteen (16) companies per fleet does not grant you uber-badassness nor does it earn your DIY Chapter any respect.

It earns it only immediate and vicious Exterminatus by the Imperium. No Chapter, not even of the First Founding would be allowed 16 Companies. The Space Wolves are merely suspected of having more than a thousand marines and the Inquisition hounds them constantly.

It would seem very unlikely for them to have the Inqusition as a friend and yet field 16 companies. The Space Sharks are rumored to be the personal chapter of the High Lords of Terra -- the rulers of the Imperium, and yet they too must adhere to the 1,000 limit.

However, I know you used the random chapter generator and yes, it does spew out random results -- in my first try I got a Space Wolves successor. It happens.

But I would strongly recommend you amend some of these things to make your DIY seem more legitimate.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up!
BlackGuard is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-13, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Slumberday's Avatar
Slumberday's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: On my Uncle's RTF...
Posts: 22
Reputation: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGuard View Post
Sixteen (16) companies per fleet does not grant you uber-badassness nor does it earn your DIY Chapter any respect.
Maybe 16 companies won't earn my DIY any respect or uber-badassness, but This Chapter is FLEET BASED.

The Black Templars are FLEET BASED with several fleets to boot. Not to mention there are 5000+ Black Templar marines spread out across several crusades. and their purpose is to destroy any form of heresy throughout the Galaxy.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Blac...s#.UT5ISBzrydc

While yes, they were created to go on crusades against heresy, they are spread throughout the entire galaxy. The Black Wolves were created as a standing force in the Ultima Segmentum against the forces of Chaos and is FLEET BASED. So yes, 16 companies are more than enough to keep up appearances and keep numbers high.

Now the inquisition isn't the best choice because of mass numbers among my chapter. So that I will change, but 16 companies per fleet is enough.

Slumberday [/SIZE]
Slumberday is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-13, 09:37 PM
Bruva I am hit!
 
Protoss119's Avatar
Protoss119's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Colonial Heights, VA
Posts: 582
Reputation: 17
Default

I don't think the Inquisition does much about chapters going over the 10-company limit beyond watching them closely. The Black Templars defy that limit, although they're spread out between multiple crusades, as had been said, and they're not exactly the shining image of Codex-adherence, either. The Astral Claws also went over the limit, but then they did a whole lot of far-worse stuff to earn the Inquisition's ire, not least of which was seceding from the Imperium. The Exorcists also have two additional scout companies.

Still, 16 companies is a bit much for a Codex chapter; yeah, they're fleet-based, but other fleet-based chapters like the Marines Errant get by with their 10 companies (up until Lufgt Huron attacked Vilamus, anyway). I say come up with another reason; maybe their librarians are expecting a disaster to befall the chapter?

Also, I think it's the Minotaurs who are the HLoT's personal chapter, not the Space Sharks; the HLoT loosed 'em on the Inceptors and Doom Warriors during the Macharian Heresy.

Apart from that whole shebang, I am interested in hearing more about their Modified Weaponry and their Esoteric Beliefs that got listed when the chapter was generated, unless you're changing that too. Looking forward to hearing more!

Homebrew stuff for your viewing pleasure:
The Stormhunters Fluff/Crunch - Updated 10/07/13
The Rust Legion Fluff - Updated 5/19/13
Firaeveus Carron Rules - Updated 12/9/10

Last edited by Protoss119; 03-11-13 at 09:44 PM.
Protoss119 is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-13, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Slumberday's Avatar
Slumberday's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: On my Uncle's RTF...
Posts: 22
Reputation: 2
Default

I am currently reworking on my fluff right now, but I do see the point now. I'll reduce it to 12 companies for extra scout and scout bike squadrons.

Slumberday [/SIZE]
Slumberday is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-13, 03:09 AM
Senior Member
 
BlackGuard's Avatar
BlackGuard's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: In the shadows ...
Posts: 703
Reputation: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss119 View Post
I don't think the Inquisition does much about chapters going over the 10-company limit beyond watching them closely. The Black Templars defy that limit, although they're spread out between multiple crusades, as had been said, and they're not exactly the shining image of Codex-adherence, either. The Astral Claws also went over the limit, but then they did a whole lot of far-worse stuff to earn the Inquisition's ire, not least of which was seceding from the Imperium. The Exorcists also have two additional scout companies.
The Inquisition has much to do with Astartes Chapters. While these chapters are not bound to follow the Codex (or else we'd only have Ultramarines) it is a unspoken and unwritten law that they are not to exceed a thousand in number. They are fortunate that this does not extend to serfs, servitors, or other personnel or Chapter would be very small indeed.

The reasoning is to prevent Chapters from gaining too much power. The whole point of Guilliman's reforms during The Forging was to destroy the Legions forever and insure that no single man could command thousands of Astartes. In essence, at its core, it also is designed to prevent empire-building which the Inqusition would (in some circles) deem heretical.

The Black Templars are under Inqusitorial investigation constantly. Their only saving grace is that they are constantly crusading, in every direction, and at full throttle for the last 10,000 years or else the Inqusition might have penned the crime to them.

The Astral Claws hid their expansion very carefully and were, in fact, in contempt of the law by empire-building. Huron had a good reason: bigger chapters mean they can hold the Maelstrom easier (and maybe make his own little empire like the Ultras). That was unacceptable. And they were burned for it.

Quote:
Also, I think it's the Minotaurs who are the HLoT's personal chapter, not the Space Sharks; the HLoT loosed 'em on the Inceptors and Doom Warriors during the Macharian Heresy.
Thats what I meant. I was testing you ...

But I digress here Slumberday. Let us look at this from a more practical mindset -- why? Why does your chapter need 12 companies (one a extra scout and one scouts on bikes)? Why was the standard 10 companies not sufficient?

Astartes Chapters do not make a habit of going around purposely disobeying Imperial laws, traditions, and standards. The Black Templars are given leeway because of their Second Founding heritage, and the Wolves of Fenris for being one of the original legions. They are the exception to the norm, not the norm and should not be called upon as examples why your DIY Chapter does what it does. The Imperium cannot control the Templars or the Wolves and therefore try to mitigate them by isolating their fanaticism and individualism to themselves strictly.

That said if you want 12 Companies, I am not discouraging you from the idea. I am merely saying that by giving us a good reason why they broke the Codex and why they are willing to run the risk of excommunication for what amounts to three scouts companies instead of one -- you will allow me, the reader, to better understand the character and the truely unique qualities of it. If not then all I see is a 1300 man chapter and it makes me think you just wanted more marines.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up!

Last edited by BlackGuard; 03-12-13 at 03:12 AM.
BlackGuard is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-13, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Slumberday's Avatar
Slumberday's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: On my Uncle's RTF...
Posts: 22
Reputation: 2
Default

Okay. Well since the Black Wolves favor lightning strikes, and deep strikes, the first 5 companies are drop pod companies, which means the first 5 are the deep strike aspect of the chapter's tactics. The Chapter Master is included in the 1st Company. The next five are the lightning strike companies that prefer thunderhawks to transport them to the battlefield, which in turn, has more room for bikes, jet bikes, land speeders, assault marines, etc.

The last two companies are scout and scout bike companies. They prefer either drop pods, or thunderhawks to transport them behind enemy lines or on the battlefield. They exist as multi-role companies to serve as either reconnaissance, tactical support, sabotage, etc.

The only difference between the two is that the Scout company is mainly used as a recon/sabotage company, as the Scout Bike company is mainly used as either a tactical support or bolstered numbers among one of the lightning strike companies.

Now you're a little confused... The last two companies are multi-role, it's just that the rest of the chapter doesn't recognize their potential as true multi-role companies.

Slumberday [/SIZE]
Slumberday is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-13, 11:15 AM
Senior Member
 
BlackGuard's Avatar
BlackGuard's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: In the shadows ...
Posts: 703
Reputation: 6
Default

Quote:
Okay. Well since the Black Wolves favor lightning strikes, and deep strikes, the first 5 companies are drop pod companies, which means the first 5 are the deep strike aspect of the chapter's tactics. The Chapter Master is included in the 1st Company. The next five are the lightning strike companies that prefer thunderhawks to transport them to the battlefield, which in turn, has more room for bikes, jet bikes, land speeders, assault marines, etc.

The last two companies are scout and scout bike companies. They prefer either drop pods, or thunderhawks to transport them behind enemy lines or on the battlefield. They exist as multi-role companies to serve as either reconnaissance, tactical support, sabotage, etc.
Space Marines are designed to perform all of these roles themselves. The Codex Astartes lays out the organisation of a chapter in the following: First Company is for veterans (maybe with termie armor), Second-to-Fifth are considered Battle Companies (they do the actual fighting), Sixth-Seventh are Tactical Reserve Companies, the Eight is Devastator Reserve, the Ninth is Assault Reserve, and finally the 10th is Scout Company/Fresh Meat.

Why do the Reserve Companies deploy entirely? Why do reserves, who most of the time are going to be hacked up squad by squad and parcelled out to the Battle Companies, perferring to deploy via Thunderhawk?

Also, tactical flexibility is not a sufficient reason for them to break the Codex, in this circumstance. The Ultramarines only did it because of the Tyranids, the Dark Angels only because in that chapter's conception half their legion betrayed the Imperium, and the Blood Angels only because of their curse. Each of these examples above were dramatic events and warranted changed.

Quote:
Now you're a little confused... The last two companies are multi-role, it's just that the rest of the chapter doesn't recognize their potential as true multi-role companies.
The First Veteran Company -- the Chapter's elite which also has in its ranks the Chapter Master -- is tactically inflexible? How did they get this way? What makes a Space Marine Chapter dismiss 10,000 years of military learning, via the Codex and the numberless archives dedicated to war/strategy/combat alone and instead restrict themselves to only two methods of warfare exclusively? And also consider whats makes them do this while allowing what amounts to new recruits to forge a different path.

I'm not being critical for the sake of being critical, don't get me wrong. If you want to see poor examples of DIY Chapters, just research the Desert Shadows and the Blightbringers and you'll see plenty of "Wtf?" wording and ideas. My point here is to try to encourage you to answer the "whys" and "hows" of your chapter. The whys and hows are far more interesting to me, and dare I say the average reader, than the bland number of 12 Companies. There is so much possibility there and your chapter should be defined by its unique characteristics instead of its size.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up!
BlackGuard is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-13, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Slumberday's Avatar
Slumberday's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: On my Uncle's RTF...
Posts: 22
Reputation: 2
Default

I see your point. I am trying to maintain what little divergence of the Codex the chapter will make since they are a Divergent Chapter. Also their armor (while its a neat paint scheme) is supposed to be heavily modified like their weaponry.

Now like I said before, I am still working on the fluff... I just haven't come up with some of event or situation yet. But the extra scout squads are there sort of like the neophytes of the Black Templars... or something like that.

As for the Chapter Master being a part of 1st Company, part of Vamus Romathon's Teachings, "Assault" warrants that the Chapter Master is the "Head of the Bull," his weapons are "The Horns," and the first 5 companies behind him are "The Body. The Legs. The Heart." In other words, He leads on the battlefield with sword in hand, and the rest follow him to battle.
^
|
|
That's all fluff (Still working on it).

Slumberday [/SIZE]
Slumberday is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff > Homebrew 40k Fluff

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome