The Emperor's Shield (Space Marines Chapter) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-04-12, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Default The Emperor's Shield (Space Marines Chapter)

Hello everyone =D

I am looking for assistance with the fluff of this army.

Basic points I'm working on are:

Terminator Armor = Very Yes
Missiles = Very Yes.

What I have here is the best ideas I've been able to come up with, and have had a lot of advice and critiques. However, while it is liked by many - it still 'doesn't feel right' to just as many. SO I'm looking for advice as to how I can achieve my goal.

I am willing to cut out or change whole portions of this fluff to get my terminator-heavy army.

Also, if there is something more I need to add - please let me know
(I saw the Guardians of Silence thread, and saw he had more "formatting" and a cool latin quote. Should I do some more stuff like that?)

----------------

The Emperors Shield
Successor chapter of The Dark Angels

Founding
After the Horus Heresy, and the Great Betrayal, and the the chapter's sundering ordered by The Codex Astartes - this division of the Dark Angels came in the form of The Emperors Shield (or, at the time, the Angles of Reparation).

This successor chapter was found out of deeply seeded feelings of guilt, for all the Dark Angels recent failings; being distant from Terra during the Heresy, The Great betrayal, and the general distrust of their chapter, both from within their chapter and from outside their chapter. There was also a touch of self-disgust - as those whom would become The Emperors Shield were disgusted at the secrets and whispers spoken behind closed doors.

So when the orders came down to break apart the chapters, those that would become The Emperors Shield happily separated themselves from the rest. They created the successor chapter, originally called "The Angels of Reparation"

The one to lead this separation, was a strong towering man by the name of Alexi Jallik. Alexi was not a very ambitious man, and had been content to simply stay a battle-brother, only accepting ascension to Sargent and then Captain through battlefield promotion. He had gotten as far as he had, simply through tenacity and survival.

He had been a valiant, fearless warrior, favoring a strong defense. This lead him to favoring Terminator Armor over more older and ornate Relic Armor. His thirst for battle had been far less then other battle-brothers - many suspected that when he was made into a proper Astartes, that something had gone wrong with the implantation of Lion El'johnsons geneseed.

Thanks to his decades of service, and his honors in battle he was promoted to the Chapter Master of this new successor chapter. He believed that through hard work, dedication, and prayer that his chapter could not only atone for the sins of the Dark Angels, but also put them in the good graces of The Emperor, and with his guidance lead them to The Fallen.

It was this virtuousness that drew the attentions of one of the chapters Chaplains, Chaplain Perseus. Together, Chaplain Perseus and Jallik started the Angels of Reparation.

Due to their attitudes towards the rest of "The Unforgiven" and the rest of the Dark Angels - they were given a single battle-barge and only a few battle-brothers, and were set out to the stars to find their own home.

Chaplain Perseus was granted a vision by the Emperor, of a grand Fortress Monastery, with the chapters iconography predominant across it, guiding them towards the Namted system. These visions had made it clear to him where they needed to go: the asteroid belt, located between a small rocky planet, and the systems largest gas giant.

It did not take them long for them to begin a survey of the asteroid belt. Several times they thought they found an asteroid suitable to set down upon, but Chaplain Perseus kept urging them along. It took them over 10 years, but they finally found something.

Guided by Perseus, they found what they call the "Divine Armory" This was an ancient building, attached to a large asteroid within the belt. It had clearly come from a time before the Heresy, perhaps at the height of the Empire. It was a floating refinery, and housed a Factory Cathedral that had in it the plans to create terminator armor of exceptional caliber.

Chapter-Master Jallik and Chaplain Perseus discussed what was needed to be done, and it became clear. They knew they were to settle themselves here - and use this facility to produce armor for their chapter. However, they succumbed to the Dark Angels genetic destiny's need for secrecy - and kept this discovery from the Adeptus Mechanicus - not allowing the Tech Priests of Mars to know of this place.

Modern:
The years has changed them to be a more pro-active and capable of a "First Strike" defense. Other changes that have occurred, are largely cosmetic - their armor gilded in the precious metals that they mine, to show their wealth as a Chapter, and their pride its self on the suits of Terminator armor they create entirely on their own through hard work, dedication, and prayer.

In the time since the Heresy, the chapter has not forgotten its dedication to the Emperor, nor its vow to defend of the Empire of Mankind, and to seek out The Fallen, however they have changed their name to "The Emperors Shield" after a highly successful campaign against The Fallen on the planet of Tannisov III. During that battle they were able to push back, and completely destroy the forces of Chaos, and took not a single casualty - they took this as a sign of the Emperors favor.

Thanks to their extensive training, and their own Manufactorum in the Factory Cathedral the "Divine Armory" - all members of the Emperors Shield are trained in Terminator Armor, instead of the Power Armor found in all other chapters. As a chapter, their combat doctrine is centered on a strong defense. Every member is trained more in the use of a Storm Shield first, Thunder Hammer second.

Those that show themselves worthy of Veteran status are given the Honors of training in the use of Cyclone Missiles - filling in the roles of both Veterans, Squad Sergeants, and Devastators.

While this chapter does not enjoy the same relationship of many other space marine chapters have with the Adeptus Mechanicus; Part of every initiates training is to mine the minerals and work the forges to create his own Terminator Armor. Another advantage of this, is that since every member of the chapter has created his own armor, every member of the chapter can act as a tech-marine, when it comes to the care, service, and repair of this armor.

For those whom get too wounded in battle to continue being effective are either entombed as the chapters heavily armored Dreadnaughts, or are 'demoted' to be Vehicle Crews, piloting the chapters mechanized force, or any other vehicles they have need of. Since every recruit does have some technical knowledge, much of what they have learned in the care and maintenance of their terminator armor is applied to vehicles. Occasionally, seasoned warriors whom become wounded are taken back to the factory cathedral, and assist in the forges, acting as many tech-priests would.

If a new recruit shows a lot of technical prowess, but not a lot of combat readiness, they will be taken under the wings of the wounded veterans, and will use their skills to help build new vehicles and dreadnought's for the chapter, to help recover from any losses in battle.

Home World:
The Emperors Shield does not have a single home world, but instead has taken up residence in 10 Fortress Monasteries, that are part of "The Divine Asteroid Belt" of the Namted system.

They have claimed the belt due to its high levels of minerals, such as adamantite and ceremite. Many of the monasteries are also mining facilities, where younger initiates are put to hard labor - to earn the minerals that will form their armor, and to make them used to stress and pain, and to increase their strength and endurance. The largest of their Monasteries, also has with it the Factory Cathedral - where many elders, and servitors toil, taking the refined and rarefied materials to create Terminator Armor. They have also found a wealth of chemicals trapped within many asteroids, which allows the chapter to be able to keep themselves wealthy in missiles.

Their fleet is relatively small, but everything they have has been thickened with extra layers of armor. Their flagship, the battle barge "Eternal Defender" stands in mute defense of the interior planets of the Namted system. It has never left the Namted system, but many of the others ships had, to preemptively strike at the Emperors Enemies. It has been said that the only reason why the Eternal Defender should leave Namted, is to follow the Emperor himself across the Empire.

Recruitment:
Every planet that the Emperors Shield successfully defends, they place upon it a Stronghold or Bastion - to not only serve as a tactical point, should the planet fall under attack again, but also to act as a recruitment center for the planets populous. While many of the people recruited by The Emperor's Shield may not serve the chapter as Marines, many recruits serve the chapter as laborers, minors, or even serfs.

While other chapters train up their recruits through the ranks of scouts and marines, this chapter ignores all those steps and starts all combat-ready battle brothers in Terminator Armor. This deviation from the Codex Astartes came from the simple fact that anything other then heavily armored Terminators are not sufficient for their needs of defense. Plus, since they have distanced themselves from the Adeptus Mechanicus, they do not have ready access to scout armor or power armor as many other chapters enjoy.

Appearance:
All members of the Emperors Shield wear Terminator armor. Since they have access to their own manufactorium, and each member of the chapter works on their own armor to varying degrees, their armor is highly ornate and often competes with other chapters Artificer Armor (Or the Paladin armor of the Grey Knights). Their armor is gilded in steel over the Adamantite layers, with gold accents. Veterans, Apothecaries, and the Captains/Chaplains/Chapter Masters all wear tunics and cowls in dark green in remembrance of their Founding Chapter.

Iconography:
Their symbol is much like that of the Deathwing, (Splayed Angelic wings) however instead of a Silver Sword - theirs is set inside a Golden Shield, and silver Angels Wings across its surface.

--------------------------

(And a hello to Tyreal Ardeus, whom I know is reading this)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-12, 04:36 PM

Over Two Meters Tall!'s Flag is: USA

I think the sense of relative hollowness you have comes from stretching your two primary concepts a little too far, those being everyone in Terminator Armor and the utter separation from the Mechanicus, with the triaged implications from them. Don't get me wrong, I like the parallels between the astroid belt Fortress Monasteries for your successor chapter and The Rock for the DA parent chapter.

The concept of an entire chapter encased in Terminator Armor, while sounding kinda cool on the surface, would be counter-productive in a battle situation. The diversity of functions within any larger military unit is there to ensure flexibility to ensure victory in the give situation. Terminators are incredible fighting units, but would spend all their time plodding along in utter glory after someone like the Tau or the Dark Eldar, who would just run circles around them. Their entire tactical focus would be to just grab and hold a position, since they can't deal with a swiftly moving campaign... they would be standing in the middle of desolation while their opponents outraced them and destroyed everything else.

On the Mechanicum issue, the Terminator Armour is one of the most complex and difficult to make models, with most Chapters still trying to maintain millennia-old suits because they can't get new ones from anybody. After a bit, one of the Imperial institutions would notice the incredible volume and quality of Terminator Armour and come knocking. You might consider fluffing a 'special arrangement' they have with the Mechanicum; they share models and techniques on the down low, and the mechanicum lets them 'defend' this valuable, well, Mechanicum asset. It makes it more plausable that the Mechanicum wouldn't be mounting a campaign to retake their lost forgeworld/asteroid, and reasonably explain how a chapter can be apparently divorced from the Mechanicum, but still maintain all the other tech needed for a Astares Chapter.

Like I said, your chapter sounds very creative and interesting, but filling some of those holes will come across as far more plausible.

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'

Last edited by Over Two Meters Tall!; 11-08-12 at 05:02 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-12, 05:04 PM

And those are some seriously cool pieces of artwork.

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-12, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

You pose a very interesting idea w/ the underhanded deal with the Adeptus Mechanicus. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this further.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-12, 07:43 PM

Tyreal Ardeus's Flag is: USA

Curses, how did he know?! Foiled again!

Well shit. Where to begin?

I agree with the akwardly-named-and-hard-to-reference Over Two Meters Tall and I really like where he's going with the mechanicus deal. His points and ideas make much sense. Now for the breakdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarHammerman View Post
It took them over 10 years, but they finally found something.
I know the Imperium's technology has been stagnating and all, but give them a little more credit. It really wouldn't take ten full years to search a single asteroid belt, even monstrously huge ones, for said armory.

Now before I go any further I'd like to say something. If the original idea of a Terminator army spawned from your army list, then you really don't have to have an entire chapter of Terminators. Every chapter's entire 1st company has access to Terminator armor; 100 suits in all. I don't think you'll ever be fielding even a quarter of that in an actual match. You can still keep to your chapter's ultra-defensive theme, I actually really like that, but there really isn't a giant 'need' to have everybody wear terminator armor, especially if it's going to cause you so many problems in the canon. Just thought I should throw that out there for consideration.

Also, as 'OTMT' said, Terminator armor would take a great deal of time to create. However there's not much reason to be churning them out like a factory. If you have an entire chapter in Terminator armor, said Terminators will rarely ever die, nor will the suits be trashed. After you had your 1000 suits, you'd be pretty much set. Also remember that each suit of Terminator armor has a microscopic shard of the Emperor's Armor in their Crux Terminatus which gives them their 5+ invulnerable save and added protection. Without that Terminator suits aren't really Terminator suits. Following OTMT's idea might be a good direction to go to solve that.

Onwards!

Quote:
since every member of the chapter has created his own armor, every member of the chapter can act as a tech-marine, when it comes to the care, service, and repair of this armor.
Pretty much all Astartes are already responsible for the care, service and repair of their armors. If the damage is extensive then they will take it to the chapter's artificers for repairs but most damage is tended to by the armor's owners. Techmarines are mainly there for work on vehicles, equipment, buildings, ships and especially important relics and armor.

Quote:
The Emperors Shield does not have a single home world, but instead has taken up residence in 10 Fortress Monasteries, that are part of "The Divine Asteroid Belt" of the Namted system.
Quote:
but instead has taken up residence in 10 Fortress Monasteries
Quote:
10 Fortress Monasteries
WAT

A single Fortress Monastery is described as being "...one of the greatest undertakings of all, drawing on the genius of the Imperium's most accomplished military architects and engineers". They are giant fortresses nigh-impenetrable and indestructible and take an equally imposing amount of time and effort to create. There's reasons why you never hear of chapters having more than one. For one thing, one is all they need. Think of the town you live in. Try to get a picture of what 1000 people is. Now if you live in a larger city, take about a quarter of it, or if its smaller just imagine the entire thing, is now a steel fortress of grim doom. Now put said 1000 people into it. It's pretty spacy even then. Ten would be insane. You could do what the Black Templars do and just put mini-outpost-fortresses on each of them. That'd make more sense, but ten whole Fortress Monasteries... Dorn's holy blood...

Lastly I'd like to present an idea, now bear with me. Since you're chapter is so defensively oriented, another similar chapter came to mind: the Imperial Fists. Now this may seem weird but I'd like you to think about making your primogenitor chapter the Imperial Fists or one of their successors *however*, still use the Dark Angels codex. Fluff is fluff and rules are rules but since you're making your own chapter, I don't see any problems with that. Being one of Dorn's successors, like myself, it would explain your love of Terminators and defenses, giving you an excuse to use the Dark Angels codex which abuses Terminators.

I'd just like you give that a little thought and post back what you think, in addition to everything else of course. The rest of the fluff sounds awesome and I do hope you expand it. We could even work each other in to a short story or something sometime, that'd be neat.

Well I'd better stop before this gets too long (as if it wasn't already). I hope this input helps and I can't wait to hear more.

“This is our next objective, our next battle, our next war, brothers. It is there that we shall teach the enemy the wrath of mankind, the wrath of our beloved emperor. With boltgun and chainsword shall we strike the enemy down in righteous vengeance. Our foes will know fear and death, for we are the emperor’s fury! None shall stay our wrath!”

- Chapter Master Tyreal Ardeus of the Crimson Gallants

Last edited by Tyreal Ardeus; 11-08-12 at 07:46 PM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-12, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

A) I can easily change the name of Fortesss Monestary to something else. The idea was that they were spread out across the whole asteroid field. I liked the "Fortress" part cause its solid, and monestary cause...its 40K...

B) I like the idea of them workin' with the AdMech forces... perhaps they use their fortess to make bits and pieces, and sends them back to mars. perhaps they can't make whole suits, but breastplates and many parts.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-12, 06:35 PM

Hello again gentlemen! Sorry for the difficulty with the name, but I'm just keeping it real... I think it was Graham Mc who kept emphasizing how Uriel Ventris and the other Ultramarines were "over two meters tall" and I thought, "hey, that's me!".

As a disclaimer, I've enjoyed all the novels and the DOW games, but I'm not a tabletop gamer myself and don't/haven't had access to the codexes... which saves me a lot of money from all the comments I've read lately. I really appreciate the comment Tyreal on the shard of the Emperor's Armor being in the Crux Terminatus, which really justifies their limited nature and why they're so venerated and almost impossible to produce. I do have to say, after listening to George Carlin yesterday, what the heck happened before the HH and the Emperor being enthroned?

Regarding the Mechanicum, I have a few thoughts. First, as I understand it, the Iron Fists already have a special relationship with the Mechanicum that has all their marines spend some time on Mars (or is it just their Techs?), learning and exchanging information, so this kind of relationship is already established in the fluff. As well, from Titanicus, it's alredy established canon that various forge worlds have not-so-open relationships and Mars isn't always kept in the loop on their activities. Finally, if the Mechanicum was able to get their hands on an original template or an improved design for relatively restricted technology, they'd probably welcome a chapter of Astares guarding those secrets and allowing the Mechanicum to control it's distribution outside of the chapter.

Sooooooo... instead of your recruits spending all their formative years mining and building their own suit of armor, perhaps they spend that time apprenticing with a Mechanicum specialist tied to the chapter. The asteroid belt provides the rare minerals the Mechanicum also needs, another tie-in between the two, and the recruit gets a formal education in all those things they need to repair/create not just armor, but the other tech that's wrapped around the chapter... and they could also partake in the mining/extraction to toughen them up suitably.

Before I have to jump, the astroid concept also would be an excellent justification for your chapter becoming (in part) zero-g specialists, if you're willing to partially take them out of the exclusive Terminator armor zone.

Cool stuff.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-12, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Okay....this has a few ideas floating around in my head.

Successor chapter of: The Iron Knights.

They're a chapter that during a crusade came across this asteroid field, cleared it out, found the Manufatorum (The Divine Armory). Contacted the Mechanicum: The Adeptus Mechanicus pulled strings and did political movings to get this battle barge to be a protector of the Manufactorum. They were fine with this, since the campaign they were on (clear the xeno's from this system) had been successful. But then they suddenly found themselves being separated from their chapter - to form their own.

Their combat doctrine shifted over the years from a full frontal assault to a more defensive oriented (all be it, a first-strike defense is still a defense). Since the Manufactorum has the capability to rebuild some Terminator components (say chest pieces) and has foundries and the like to make more - this manufactorum became their home and a factory cathedral.

Being of Dorn, and they liking scars - all the new recruits work the mines to build up strength, and the forges to forge their bodies (And anyone working with hot, melted metal knows its VERY hard NOT to get splashed with it) - so many of them had red burn marks up and down their arms and chests from working with motlen marterials.
- And since I have that decorative scroll work on the armor, they may cut themselves in similar ways, as a way of prayer.

The Adeptus Mechanicus has no problem with the defending marines using the facility - cause it keeps it up and running, and they're only using the parts of it that are understood or unused. Plus, the marines mine out their own ore so its essentially "no skin off my back" to the AdMech.

Chapter Artifacts:
The chapter master has a unique Crux Terminatus: Not only does it have a sliver of the Emperor's armor, but a sliver of Dorn's as well.
[Lets face it, Dorn got into a LOT of shit before he "Died" - there are bound to have been bits broken off. I initially wanted to go w/ "Dorns own Crux Terminatus shoulder pad" but I thought that may have been "too big"]

------

Being Iron Knights formerly - they'd have a lot of Terminators. (and their connection to the AdMech could get them more - and here they can maintain their stuff better).

Iron Knights are Silver and Black - these guys went Silver and Gold (cause that's what they have around.) I can easily change the "Robes" colors to shift from green to any other color (most likely black - or perhaps Red cause Dorn liked Yellow n Red)

And being Iron Knights chapter badge is a shield, its not too far off to see these guys going Shield + Dorn-Eagles in their chapter symbols.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-12, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Oh!
And the Robes can serve a dual purpose - Not only do they look stylish/good, perhaps indicate a rank (sargent, etc) but then they could also be used to cover-up the tell-tale markings of their "new" terminator armor bits.

And if this place produces Tartaros pattern terminator chest pieces (and helmets) then the arms and legs and the rest would still be the ones that are thousands of years old. Yes, its some terminator armor - but not a whole suit. (At least, not yet - perhaps more exploration into the deapths of this place, or into the cogitators that ran it, or something.
Heck, the Xeno's could have gotten in here and deleted some of that datum and all that's left is the patterns for the chest/head, but the facilities remain to make more...if they only knew how, or had a compatible STC... who knows.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-12, 04:08 PM

Tyreal Ardeus's Flag is: USA

Woo! A successor of Dorn! Brother!

Sounds really cool, seems to be coming together. I especially like the part about the sliver of Dorn's armor. At first I didn't think it'd work because Dorn kind of... Vanished after a particular battle leaving only his hand (wat?) and some other things behind; but like you said a little sliver of armor from one of his many thousands of battles wouldn't have been hard to believe.

It also allows you to explain on the game board why he would have a 4+ invuln save apart from the Iron Halo, maybe a 3+ if you wanted to 'secretly' buy him a storm shield and say that it was due to his armor. Of course since you wouldn't actually have a shield on his model it'd be kinda iffy in tournaments or against some rules-lawyers players, but against friends and such I doubt it'd be a problem. All in the name of fluff and fun!

Next it may be a good idea to think of some enemies. There always has to be enemies. Having one or two 'rivals' that always slip away just before your ultimate victory or manage to crawl their way, battered and defeated, back to safety to come back another day is always a good idea. Returning enemies gives you something to fight and expand on in the history of your chapter. Personally I like the idea of important Daemons such as princes and other Greater Daemons. Once you kill these, their spirits simply return to the warp and wait to manifest again. Of course this takes a certain amount of years and often very specific conditions before they will but they are powerful enemies who are also clever and wreak chaos wherever they go; a perfect enemy for Astartes. Additionally it gives you the perfect excuse to make *and kill off* characters. Having a wealth of named characters is always good, but it's the loss of said characters that often have the most meaning. The crucible of battle is where heroes are forged and lost, as well as their relics, my next point. Aside from the relics handed down from your primogenitor and brother chapters, new legendary weapons always gain their status from equally legendary heroes and villians. The Crux Terminatus you have is a great start, very legendary indeed. However Space Marines are chapters 1000 strong of the greatest heroes and legends mankind has ever known and you will never see just one such relic among them.

Perhaps I'll post some of my fluff on the forum, or send it to you on Google Docs, to help you get some ideas.

Anyways I hope this helps. Looking greatly forward to your next update!

“This is our next objective, our next battle, our next war, brothers. It is there that we shall teach the enemy the wrath of mankind, the wrath of our beloved emperor. With boltgun and chainsword shall we strike the enemy down in righteous vengeance. Our foes will know fear and death, for we are the emperor’s fury! None shall stay our wrath!”

- Chapter Master Tyreal Ardeus of the Crimson Gallants

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff > Homebrew 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode