Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

mercenaries?

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  SolvableSphinx 
#1 ·
i know it was a bit random but i was thinking the other day about mercenaries in the 41st millennium. i know the kroot are already and its pretty easy to make human ones too. but are there any other races that you could make in to mercenaries like orks for example? or even a mixed warband of different things like a human, a kroot, an ork or even possibly an eldar too

it sounds a bit stupid as i say it but could it be possible?

#3 ·
but would i be able to use an ork? coz i was thinking it before and my friend said they would just tear other members of the team apart coz all they want to do is kill and fight which i thought would work well as a mercenary as they are hired guns fighting for equipment etc

and i wanted the eldar to make up the stealthy part of the team. i dont really know any fluff for eldar so would they be able to join my little gang? lol

#7 ·
Acceptance of using xenos for anything other than target practice won't be too common. With that said there are always radicals that will use whatever means to reach their goals...as long as there isn't an Inquisitor or Commisar around to make their objection known in the form of a bolter round to the head. Remember the Crusade which built the Imperium was fueled by a total lack of tolerance and the desire to rid the galaxy of xenos (and religion).

#10 ·
Well, I'll just add the Loxatl here: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Loxatl#.T1I3lfWIk6g

As for orks...depends on the orks. Some do work as mercenaries, but I'd imagine orks would be usually working in mercenary ork squads/armies. Would an ork work solo/with other species in the mercenary business...I wouldn't say it's impossible, but due to their attitude there might be problems.
It would probably depend on the ork. I could see Ghazkull working with other species, and stormboyz are organized into a army so they might be willing to do it.

There's trillions of orks, anything is possible.

#11 · (Edited)
I always thought orks would never take orders from other races no matter what as they see other races as weak and their blood-lust would override any reasoning, and i'm sure it is stated in the background that orks will only take orders from the strongest among their own race.

but i'm sure their may be a few. anything can happen bloodaxes copy parts of how humans behave, like using camouflage

#13 ·
Well, you have to remember that "hiring" orks usually just means telling them where there is a really big fight going on. If the orks are alive when the fight is over there's a good chance you may have to kill them yourself. "Giving them orders" doesn't really enter into it I'd imagine.

#16 ·
Orks can grow to respect members of other species, if they've got enough fight in them. For example:

"Humies is all weak scum that deserve ta get stomped. 'Cept for One-Eye Yarrick. He knows how ter fight." -Warlord Ghazgkhull Mag Uruk Thraka

Granted, Yarrick had a battle klaw grafted on as a trophy after loosing his arm in a duel with a Warboss (that he won singlehandedly, in both meanings of the term) and replaced his wounded eye with a deadly laser to fulfill the ork superstition, but respect can be earned.

That said, respect doesn't equal loyalty. I guess it would depend on if they respect you enough, and there's a fight going on that they don't want to stomp you right now, and being desperate enough to ally with another species. (There's a lot of hate in the 41st millennium.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.