LotR - interest piqued - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings For all discussion related to the LotR game.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-10, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

reubiedoo's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default LotR - interest piqued

Hi all.

Have been perusing the GW site's LotR minis and I like the look of the Elves and the Easterlings.

I remember that LotR was really big when it came out a few years ago, but now it is really only the blue-shirts and a few local fanatics that play it. Because of that, I don't really want ot sink lots of money into it if I get little mileage out of it. They used to play the skirmish version of the game (I think) way back when, but now whenever I see anyone painting up their LotR they are doing masses of trays, So I guess they all play the bigger version now. What sort of 'points' values do folks play to normally (as a guide we play 2k 40K and FB here)? And how many units/ cash does it cost to get an army going? I seem to remember you needed a good and bad army; does that apply for the big game? I will ask for a demo next time I am in if I can knock together an army for 100-150.

Μολών λαβέ
- Leonidas I of Sparta

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools."
Thucydides of Halimous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-10, 07:54 PM

Personally, I despise War of the Ring. And if any of your locals are true LotR gaming fans, they will too. If you can find regular SBG gamers, I would advise that. However, you haven't tried out War of the Ring yourself yet, so don't just take my word for it, you're better off taking the demo to try it out.

I believe in War of the Ring, a standard game size is around 1500 points, but I may be wrong .

You don't need a good and bad army, not in SBG or War of the Ring. You will only need one or the other (and of course an opponent with another army - note this does not have to be evil if you choose good, or vice versa).

100-150 should be enough to get a small War of the Ring army, but it won't go too far as it does require a large amount of minis, and the rulebook is ridiculously priced as with all GW rulebooks. However 100-150 will get you a decent sized SBG army.

Regards,
Jake.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-10, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

reubiedoo's Flag is: United Kingdom

Thanks fella! Was beginning to wonder if anyone was around!

Μολών λαβέ
- Leonidas I of Sparta

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools."
Thucydides of Halimous

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-10, 06:38 PM

No problem mate. Yes I usually try and keep up with questions in areas I have some form of knowledge in, however I've been absent for a while trying to get on top of things and it seems the LotR area has gone very quiet since!

If you ever have any other questions just ask and I'll do my best to answer

Regards,
Jake.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-10, 07:25 PM
z4ch001's Flag is: England

agreed, i much prefer the SBG. If i want to use units and movement trays i play fantasy, but the skirmish version of lord of the rings is great. around 750 is usually a good sized game, and you can easily get a nice 750 point army for 100-150
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-10, 04:23 PM

sethgabriel1990's Flag is: United Kingdom

waaayyy back me and a few mates used to play 500 and 750 point games and we liked that, but i suppose we were skint teenagers and couldnt really afford a 2000 point army then lol

'All is dust!'
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-10, 08:35 AM

You don't often come across 2000 point SBG Games, usually it's WotR that's that large amount of points. SBG is generally played with a smaller amount, like you say 500-750ish being the norm.

Regards,
Jake.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-10, 06:08 AM

Bob Franks's Flag is: Australia

I have to say I disagree. I MUCH prefer Wotr over SBG. I admit Wotr loses the individual feats of heroes, but I like having mass amounts of soldiers. Also it takes a long time for people to die in SBG, thats my opinion.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-10, 04:47 PM

sethgabriel1990's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Franks View Post
I have to say I disagree. I MUCH prefer Wotr over SBG. I admit Wotr loses the individual feats of heroes, but I like having mass amounts of soldiers. Also it takes a long time for people to die in SBG, thats my opinion.
i loved that! took ages for people to kill my Boromir or Khazad Guard.

but i think me + you are opposite, i loved SBG because of the small forces and the emphasis on the heroes! God i havnt had a game of SBG for a while... brings back fond memories of my Dad buying my models and not having a girlfriend or spending all my hard-earned on rent and bills.

'All is dust!'

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode