Battle Companies - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings For all discussion related to the LotR game.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-10, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

jaws900's Flag is: England

no probs.

(random words so the post is long enought)

"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."

People i have turned into Chaos Spawn
Marneus Calgar
Pedro Kantor
Terminator Chaplin
Terminator Apothecary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-10, 02:37 PM

We are starting a Battle Company campaign of sorts today as a matter of fact. The Dwarf Warrior Gailim is off to make his name in the Northern peaks of the Misty Mountains...my Goblins can't wait!

"Meat's back on the menu boys!"
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-10, 06:00 PM

Sounds great Rhomdruil!

Feel free to make a thread to keep us updated with your campaign.

Regards,
Jake.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-13, 02:52 AM
The_Helghast's Flag is: New Zealand

Hi guys! me and my 4 friends played the hell out of battle companies, to the point of having 3 companies each and our original one's about the 1000 pnt mark (we removed the restrictions, and having a repeating ballistia in my army was fantastic.)

any way, after swamping my mates 310pnt Uruhkai hero with 14 models for 5 turns and never once winning a combat, i deiced something had to be done.

These are my alternate rules for battle companies, and yes it does borrow from 40k.

fight value- roll to fight as normal, and strike blows as normal, however in the event of a tie, all combatants get to strike blows. Treat the fight value as an initiative step (so a F6 would strike blows before F4) This does mean that two models can kill each other simultaneously. This means heroes don't auto win fights on a 6.

Defense and strength values- armor and shields no longer put up your defense, (except in one circumstance) remove these bonuses from the profile and use the 40k 'to wound' table instead.

Armor save- each time a model takes a wound, you make a roll against it's armor save to see if it saves the wound. (fate and fury saves may be taken after) models with no armor (like uruhkai bizerkers) have a 6+ armor save, models with armor have a 5+ models with armor and a shield (with out a bow or cross bow) have a 4+ models with heavy armor have a 4+ and with a shield (with out a bow or a cross bow) 3+, get the idea? you cannot have an armor save better than 3+ if it would get past it (dwarven heavy armor + shield) then you may add 1 to your defense. (note horses do not come with armor nor do wargs, but armored horses do and have a 5+ but Def4)

shielding- at the start of a combat a player may chose to shield, (if that model has a shield) this means you get to roll an extra die for your "to fight" roll off, if you win, you may not strike blows, how ever if you lose, since your model was focused on parrying blows, you improve your armor save by 1, this is the only way to get a 2+ save. (horses do not benefit from shielding.

Note on dwarves: across the board increase their base points value by 2, and heroes add another 5 Pnt (however they max out at 110pnt rather than 105pnt), this counter balances how bloody hard they are to kill. also, no they may not take a second Def upgrade, and it costs 4Ip to roll on the influence table.

A note on heroes: The fight value is not incorporated into the points cost until it is 4 or more, we felt it was unfair that your main guy gets instantly over shadowed by one of the elite solders that gets turned into a hero.

as far as we can tell, all other armies are balanced, and we felt a lot better about ourselves because we where wounding so often, sure they got saved but hey, our guys weren't so fregin useless at killing each other (as per the regular rules).
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-13, 02:58 AM
The_Helghast's Flag is: New Zealand

Default Alternate rules.

Hi guys! me and my 4 friends played the hell out of battle companies, to the point of having 3 companies each and our original one's about the 1000 pnt mark (we removed the restrictions, and having a repeating ballistia in my army was fantastic.)

any way, after swamping my mates 310pnt Uruhkai hero with 14 models for 5 turns and never once winning a combat, i deiced something had to be done.

These are my alternate rules for battle companies, and yes it does borrow from 40k.

fight value- roll to fight as normal, and strike blows as normal, however in the event of a tie, all combatants get to strike blows. Treat the fight value as an initiative step (so a F6 would strike blows before F4) This does mean that two models can kill each other simultaneously. This also means heroes don't auto win fights on a 6.

Defense and strength values- armor and shields no longer put up your defense, (except in one circumstance) remove these bonuses from the profile and use the 40k 'to wound' table instead.

Armor save- each time a model takes a wound, you make a roll against it's armor save to see if it saves the wound. (fate and fury saves may be taken after) models with no armor (like uruhkai bizerkers) have a 6+ armor save, models with armor have a 5+ models with armor and a shield (with out a bow or cross bow) have a 4+ models with heavy armor have a 4+ and with a shield (with out a bow or a cross bow) 3+, get the idea? you cannot have an armor save better than 3+ if it would get past it (dwarven heavy armor + shield) then you may add 1 to your defense. (note horses do not come with armor nor do wargs, but armored horses do and have a 5+ but Def4)

shielding- at the start of a combat a player may chose to shield, (if that model has a shield) this means you get to roll an extra die for your "to fight" roll off, if you win, you may not strike blows, how ever if you lose, since your model was focused on parrying blows, you improve your armor save by 1, this is the only way to get a 2+ save. (horses do not benefit from shielding.

Note on dwarves: across the board increase their base points value by 2, and heroes add another 5 Pnt (however they max out at 110pnt rather than 105pnt), this counter balances how bloody hard they are to kill. also, no they may not take a second Def upgrade, and it costs 4Ip to roll on the influence table.

A note on heroes: The fight value is not incorporated into the points cost until it is 4 or more, we felt it was unfair that your main guy gets instantly over shadowed by one of the elite solders that gets turned into a hero.

as far as we can tell, all other armies are balanced, and we felt a lot better about ourselves because we where wounding so often, sure they got saved but hey, our guys weren't so fregin useless at killing each other (as per the regular rules).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode