Isengard help needed, please? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings For all discussion related to the LotR game.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-14, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

zackdanials's Flag is: England

Default Isengard help needed, please?

So I've never played LotR bar one intro game at my local store but I'm feeling Isengard as an army simply because the Uruk-Hai are so cool. However I could do with a bit if assistance...

I'm not sure if the usual size of a LotR game but I have a vague idea it's 600 points? Here's my first ever bash at a list, please feel free to tell me where I've messed up or I'm just being plain daft:

Warband: Uruk-Hai captain w/heavy armour, shield
7x Uruk-Hai w/shield
4x Uruk-Hai w/crossbow
1x Uruk-Hai w/banner

Warband: Uruk-Hai Shaman w/Armour
8x Uruk-Hai w/pikes
4x Uruk-Hai w/crossbows

Warband: Sharku w/Warg, shield
3x Warg Rider w/shield, throwing spears
1x Isengard Troll w/spear

So that comes out at 599 points and 31 models, giving me a breakpoint of sixteen. I figure I have a decent combat centre of Uruk-Hai with shields backed up by pikes/crossbows and a shaman then a troll for anything nasty (I'm looking at you Aragorn...). Plus I have Sharku and his boys for flanking/hero hunting etc.

So I figure maybe I'm a bit thin on the ground? 31 models doesn't seem an awful lot to me and a sixteen model breakpoint is quite disconcerting. I also suspect I should probably drop a few of the pikes for more shields to beef up the first wave, or maybe more crossbows?

The only models I've actually bought so far is the Uruk-Hai boxed set with five pikes and five shields so I'm open to any suggestions you have.

Any advice would be grand.

Drink deep from the chalice of victory, and remember the fallen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-14, 12:34 PM

Hospital is Fun's Flag is: England

LotR is what first got me into Warhammer many years ago. I started out with Uruk-Hai and very rarely lost a game with them. You're always going to have low numbers, but that isn't something I would concern yourself with due to the strength and toughness of them. The only thing I would consider changing in your army list is the amount of crossbows. I'd be inclined to have a couple more shields instead, since hand to hand is where the Uruk-Hai really excel.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 07:16 PM
afnolte's Flag is: USA

I'd suggest lumping all your crossbows into one warband. I usually put them in a warband led by Vrasku. That way they can stay far enough back to get multiple shots in if your opponent goes after them, and they'll benefit from Vrasku's Stand Fast. You may also want to invest in a ballista, it may not always be accurate but it's funnier than hell when it is. The first time I used it my friend and I were playing The High Ground and I sent Dwalin flying 10 inches off the top of the hill. Didn't hurt him, but it denied him that one victory point that would've won him the game.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

zackdanials's Flag is: England

Hmmm...a ballista does sound hilarious...but with the deployment rules in the hobbit book you have a 50-50 chance of deploying quite close to your opponent in most of the scenarios, that's why I was thinking mixed warbands would be best. That way I don't have twelve crossbow uruk's standing around twiddling their thumbs as some angry rohirrim come galloping towards them...

Drink deep from the chalice of victory, and remember the fallen.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode