Maybe starting LotR - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings For all discussion related to the LotR game.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-12, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
HOGGLORD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: That place, you know. That place you went to that one time, surely you remember?
Default Maybe starting LotR

Hey everyone!

I've just read the Lord of the Rings, Simarillion and Children of Hurin for the first time and I've begun considering playing BSG, as smaller battles interest me more than big ones. I was wondering what sort of army I should start with, what sort of budget I should need and why nobody seems to play it. Seems like a damned shame...

My preference in play style would be small, elite groups led by badasses or huge mobs led by badasses. Badass leaders is a must.

I was given the mines of moria set 5 years ago and I was wondering if the rules are the same now or have they changed?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-12, 10:17 PM

Agarwaen's Flag is: England

Do it!! I'm starting a Pinnath Gelin (western Gondorian fiefdom) army.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-13, 09:54 AM

Hope I'm not too late to make an impact.
Growing up, I always though LOTR was better and more enjoyable but I was a massive geek for the movies. Mine and others interests dwindled a bit as of late but there is still quite a large following out there and you may even get a few people jumping on the Hobbit bandwagon.
It's definitely worth doing if you have the money. LOTR is the perfect starting game for that friend you've got who's not sure if he wants to play or not.

Hope that helps!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-13, 03:26 AM

lazyminipainter21's Flag is: USA

I began playing gw games with the lotr models, my first were the Easterlings which turned out ok for bieng the first models i ever painted, but then i got the moria goblins............NOT FUN TO PAINT!!!!!!!! But my 3rd set was the men of gondor box, which i randomly started to detail with blood splatters on their armor and shields, and on the swords and spear tips, which looked like they just got out of an ork/orc's gut. But yeah, i guess you could say i kinda play it, with a really old rulebook though way back fromthe Fellowship of the ring sets, i took that book everywhere, it was the SHIZ!!!! But lately...... nobody wants to play it with me.....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-13, 04:07 AM
The_Helghast's Flag is: New Zealand

If you want the most fun out of it, PLAY BATTLE COMPANIES. my friends and i spent unto 36 hours straight on weekends playing multiple games, i advise that you have two companies per player, and roll to see which compony plays. also the Redux helps to stop heroes getting ridiculous. feel free to make your own scenarios and rules. i personally have a set of play tested to perfection (like i said we played this ALOT) fan made rules. its just little things like a zombie scenario, a 3D6 death chart for those Uber heroes, and rules for oversized companies.

Conversion possibilities are awesome, my Rohirm captain ended up being known as Erol, The Red Angry Spartan, known for his 4s throwing spear, was an Urukhai bizerker with Erols original Head, spear, shield, and a green stuff cape and was of course painted red, and looked like a spartan from 300.

my advice, is give your hero a horse as soon as possible.
we played with the rules before the redux and so we had a lot of leeway with rules, and like i said heroes got ridiculous, as in my one Dol Amroth captain could take on an entire battle compony and win. so long as he hugged cover until he could get into CC (which is not hard when you have 7D and your horse has 5D and you can use your fate to keep it alive.)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode