Starting LoTR - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings For all discussion related to the LotR game.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-12, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

Default Starting LoTR

So as the title implies I am very interested in starting the LoTR board game.

I bought the LoTR paint set and really like the Moria Goblins that are in the boxset and while refreshing my painting techniques (after a shoulder injury, which had complications) and just feel in love with the models.

I notice however that there is a SBG and WoTR what is the difference between these two systems and is it possible to cross over between the two easily?

Finally I have noticed that RedCorsair has and is doing a stirling job in updating this section (LoTR) however I am interested in starting a Moria Force and was wanting some imput into what would make a good force to play with and against (not too interested in competative at the moment but ultimately this will occur.)

Finally is the Mines of Moria a good place to start or am I better off buying the rulebook and mini's seperately.

Thank you all for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-12, 05:06 PM

Chris Guard of Mardat's Flag is: England

As you're going for a Moria army, and you're new to LotR, I would say it's a good idea to buy the Mines of Moria, even though the quality of the cave troll isn't the best.
This will easily lead you into SBG, and will allow you to have someone else playing (using the Fellowship)

Your current Goblins and the contents from the Mines of Moria will give you 225 points of models for SBG, and 155 WotR.

Cave Troll w/ Chain - 85
36 Goblins w/ Shield/Spear/Bow - 180

3 Companies Goblins w/ Shields - 60
1 Company Goblin w/ Bows - 20
Cave Troll - 75(?)

SBG is the cheaper of the two games, and everyone operates individually, whereas WotR is more expensive, as you need more models, but has the advantage of being faster to play.

You'll probably want to buy another box of Goblins after this, and this will push you to 325 points for SBG and 195 for WotR.

Cave Troll w/ Chain - 85
48 Goblins w/ Shield/Spear/Bow - 240

4 Companies Goblins w/ Shields - 80
2 Company Goblin w/ Bows - 40
Cave Troll - 75(?)

The next thing you'll need is some heroes, I suggest Durburz and a Goblin Shaman, with the option of a pair of Goblin Captains. Your force will then be around 500 points in SBG, and around 465 in WotR, although it would be a weak force in WotR.

Durburz, Shaman and 2 Captains - 180
Cave Troll w/ Chain - 85
46 Goblins w/ Shield/Spear/Bow - 230

Durburz - 70
4 Companies Goblins w/ Shields, Shaman and Captain - 230
2 Company Goblin w/ Bows and Captain - 90
Cave Troll - 75(?)

You can then add Wargs, Spiders and Bat Swarms if you want a beast army, Prowlers and Blackshields if you want an "elite" army (for Goblins) or Cave Trolls if you want a few models with hard hitting power (or any combination) - I personally favour Cave Trolls with a few Prowlers spread throughout my army.

Here's a link to my converted Goblins if you want some ideas for conversions.

I have one final thing to add; SBG is rumoured to be receiving a new rulebook in February, so you may be better off waiting a bit instead of buying the starter set - just buy some Goblins instead. Link to the rumour thread on TLA
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-12, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Well that is the thing, I am not sure whether I am going to go with Moria or whether my interest will be distracted by Wood Elves, Harad ect ect.

I think I am better off just buying the big rule book but am not really sure which one.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-12, 09:24 PM

SBG is cheaper to play and in my opinion a better game system overall. The Mines of Moria starter set would be a perfect starter set for anyone new to gaming with LOTR SBG and an even better choice for somebody looking to game with a Moria army. There are quite a few differences between the two LOTR systems, the main being that WOTR is designed to play large scale battles whereas the SBG is a small scale skirmish wargame which is why SBG is a cheaper to run game as you don't need as large an army.

Although as Chris said, there is a new Rulebook scheduled for release very soon, so it might be worth your while to hold out until after February to see if the rumours are true.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask away, I'd be more than happy to help.

Regards,
Jake.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-12, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Well Model wise I do like the Moria selection but I do really like the look of the Eastern Kingdoms. Especially the Khandish. Really like the look of the infantry, cavalry and chariots. I guess I will have to wait a while before I start on this project.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-12, 09:55 PM

Unless you have a large amount of money to spend on getting started then I suggest mixing the Khandish warriors with Easterlings as the Khandish warriors/cavalry/charioteers are quite expensive due to them all being metal. Easterlings have some nice plastic warriors and work perfectly with the Khand theme wise.

Regards,
Jake.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-12, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Well I have a large selection of Bretonnians (3k) that needs painting and have about £30 a month spend so it will be a slow grow If I do decide to take the plunge. Will also give me a nice little break from trying to paint Bright Contrasting colours
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-12, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ok so online I have found the Mines of Moria boxset for £45 delivered, which personally I don't think is too bad a price for the models, scenary and books.

So with the 6 Goblins I have from the LoTR paint set (I needed more from this then the 40k or Fantasy version) will give me 30 Goblins and a Cave Troll. I also will have the Fellowship models so all in all I don't think that this is a bad place to start so I may as well order the set. It might even lead into a PLog and the kickstart that I need to get my Brets going again
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-12, 06:07 PM

Go for it. Even if the new rulebook is rumoured to be released very soon, it'll still be able to give you a feel to the game and show you whether or not LOTR is a system that you want to spend more time/money on.

Regards,
Jake.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-12, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Mad as a sack of Squigs

I know a few people who're interested butnever started due to.laxk.of players. The GW in leeds has a few players, doubtlessly more so with a new.release rumoured. I could even.claim to be a veteran if that happens lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode