Unit of the Week? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings For all discussion related to the LotR game.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-11, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Default Unit of the Week?

So here's an idea Untitled401 brought up a while ago. Here are the original posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untitled401 View Post
"Unit of the week" (could be called something else)
Looking through my White Dwarves, i notice that they'll focus on one unit in particular from one of the gaming systems and give a detailed analysis of the unit in terms of tactics, unit's strengths and weaknesses, primary role/s of that unit etc.

Each week the members of the forum can vote on a certain unit they want to know more about then another member could write a detailed article on that unit. Next week the members vote on another unit and we would just continue until every unit in the book is covered (or we just give up )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Corsairs View Post
That sounds like something we could consider. Something like a 'WotR Unit of the Week' sounds okay to me what do you think? Like you said in the end we could have a very in depth detailed article for every unit which would be great.

Monday - Friday choose a unit.
Saturday/Sunday people can write the article and have it posted up.
Monday the process begins again.

Something like that were you thinking?

We would have it in one big long running thread and eventually when we have everything I'd go through and sort them in order to compile the final thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untitled401 View Post
Yeah thats something along the lines of what I was thinking.

Individual units are what usually get people interested in the hobby. Theres always that one model where someone looks at it and says "wow, thats really cool" and they start an army just based off that one model. Like a chaplain or a wraithlord or tau crisis suits or theres a combination of models that stands out to a person. Thats how GW and White Dwarf gets people into the hobby or gaming system.

So some well written articles might inspire some people to get into WotR/LotR as it is a very fun system to play.

Although 8th Ed Fantasy is right around the corner so dont expect to get many people playing WotR/LotR real soon.

So what does everybody think of the idea? Would anyone be willing to help out with running this feature with me if it does get started?

I personally think it'd be great to have each unit of the week article in a seperate thread, and then have different threads for the discussion of the subject. It would essentially mean we would be building up a resource with helpful information about every unit within War of the Ring. Something many people could find useful.

Regards,
Jake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-11, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

So... nobody?

Regards,
Jake.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-11, 06:06 PM

stalarious's Flag is: Germany

Dude that sounds awesome in theory but you would have to get a group of individuals that wont turn it into a well I think they suck because....., I would be more then willing to help from a limited black templar view point because i am all about finding out new info on the armies.

So I am growing my enemy.....so what I gotta kill something.

CENTER][/CENTER]

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-11, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I know the problems that could come from having non committed/non sensible individuals for this, it'd work nicely if we could get enough people who could write short intellectual pieces about the units though. The problem is finding these people as there are very few LOTR/WOTR gamers on Heresy as it is.

I would write it myself, but with other commitments I might not have the time to do it every week and doing it monthly would be too infrequent in my opinion.

It's nice to hear you would be able to help out, but can I just double check you're talking about helping with this as a War of the Ring 'Unit of the Week'? You just had me confused when you say 'from a limited Black Templar view'

Regards,
Jake.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-11, 09:28 PM

Chris Guard of Mardat's Flag is: England

This is a great idea, and I'd like to help in whatever way I can, I have pretty much every army, apart from some of the "new" stuff, and I've been playing since 2002/2003.
If it was for both game systems at the same time (for example, Minas Tirith Warriors in Wotr would be done at the same time as Warriors of Minas Tirith in SBG) over a fortnightly period could work as well - have the first poll on the first week, then write the article for it the second week/the weekend whilst having the poll for the next unit.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-11, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

I suppose we could do SBG and WotR and I actually quite like the 2 week idea. It gives more time to get things planned and written up.

It'd be great to have you on board Chris.

Regards,
Jake.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-12, 07:44 PM

I say we try it out, and as people submit their analysis of the unit a sorting process has to take place separating trolls from insightful people. I for one would love to take place in this if I can keep bias off of certain units . i think more organization for the final thread needs to take place concerning what unit is done what week or the work for you guys ( the mods) might be considerable. Mayhaps organization by codex or something. This has potential to hopefully help a lot of people by attempting to answer the myriads of questions people are bound to ask before they start a thread that turns into a flame war. Once again however this thread may take a lot of commitment.

~ 5000 points of space marines and almost 3000 points of dark eldar

"Wise men don't need advice and fools do not take it"
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-12, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

My plan was to do everything on one thread whilst the project runs. For example there will be one thread stickied at the top of the forum 'Unit of the Week - Updated 2/1/12' and update the thread title as the next weeks is posted. In this thread would be the voting (via poll edited into the thread each week), the articles and the discussion. As each article is posted I'd save it onto my computer, over the weeks building up a large database. Once a significant amount of progress has been made (or the entire selection of units has been completed) I can post them all up into a single locked thread, making sure to post them all in alphabetical order with an index on the first post.

In theory it can work and be a fantastic resource for newcomers to the game, it's getting committed people to work on this and actually stick with it that'll be the problem and I fully understand the issues that could come with this. If we had 4 committed members working on this it could work brilliantly, one person could work on one unit for one week, another the next and so on for a whole month. Meaning each person would only have to work on one for each month. They wouldn't have to be long either really, just brief overviews of what the unit is good and and bad at etc.

Regards,
Jake.

Last edited by Red Corsairs; 01-01-12 at 10:22 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-12, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Are those of you that have posted in here already all still willing to contribute to this. If so that makes 4 of us so I guess we can start working properly on how we will run the feature, it would be nice to get this running.

Regards,
Jake.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-12, 03:21 PM

Chris Guard of Mardat's Flag is: England

I'm still willing to contribute, would posting army lists involving the current unit also help?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode