Semi-competitive High Elves - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-11, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

arhain's Flag is: New Zealand

Default Semi-competitive High Elves

First attempt at a 8ed high elf list, designed for friendlyish games ,has some noticeable weakness i am sure you will find.

Lords

Prince
Armour of Caledor
Vambraces of Defence
The amulet of light
Great Weapon
Total 257

Archmage
Lore of life
Level 4
Silver wand
Total 270

Heroes

Noble
BSB
Banner of the world Dragon
Great Weapon
Dragon armour
Shield
Total 186

Mage
Level 2
Shadow Magic: The Withering, Pit of Shades
Seer Staff
Total 165

Core

20 Archers
Total 220

40 Spear elves
Full command
Banner of Ellyrion
Total 400

Special

20 Sword masters
Full Command
The terrifying mask of EEE
Banner of sorcery
Total 405

12 White lions
Full command
Wailing banner
Skein Silver
Total 285

7 shadow warriors
Total 112

Rare
2 repeater bolt throwers
Total 200

Grand total 2500

Tactics:
Spear elves charge down the center, with the prince to give leadership and kill power

Swordmasters defend one of the flanks of the spear elves

White lions take the other flank, supported by shadow warriors

Archmage sits in archer bunker

Mage and bsb stay flexible (i.e i have no idea where to put them)

"Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that."

"I hate last stands, there's never time to train them."

-Guard Quotes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-11, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhain View Post
First attempt at a 8ed high elf list, designed for friendlyish games ,has some noticeable weakness i am sure you will find.

Lords

Prince
Armour of Caledor
Vambraces of Defence
The amulet of light
Great Weapon
Total 257
Pretty usual setup, though most people put the Dawnstone on him instead of the Amulet of Light.
Quote:
Archmage
Lore of life
Level 4
Silver wand
Total 270
You should probably put a ward save on him.

Quote:
Heroes

Noble
BSB
Banner of the world Dragon
Great Weapon
Dragon armour
Shield
Total 186
Frankly, this guy will just be torn to shreds as soon as he hits combat. Take off the Banner of the World Dragon and make him survivable.

Quote:
Mage
Level 2
Shadow Magic: The Withering, Pit of Shades
Seer Staff
Total 165
A second mage is probably good. I would give him Enfeebling Foe rather than Pit of Shades.

Quote:
Core

20 Archers
Total 220
I'd split it up into two 10-man units. A 20-man unit could get focus-fired and destroyed, while two 10-man units allow you more flexibility.

Quote:
40 Spear elves
Full command
Banner of Ellyrion
Total 400
Decent core selection, someone else can give you critique on the Banner of Ellyrion, I've forgotten what it does.

Quote:
Special

20 Sword masters
Full Command
The terrifying mask of EEE
Banner of sorcery
Total 405
Banner of Sorcery's better on an anvil such as Phoenix Guard, but if these are all the models you have, this is the best choice.

Quote:
12 White lions
Full command
Wailing banner
Skein Silver
Total 285
I am unsure as to what the items are, but this is too many points for a small unit. Bring at least 20.

Quote:
7 shadow warriors
Total 112
Don't ever take these. If you want a good warmachine hunter or disrupter, take a couple war eagles.

Quote:
Rare
2 repeater bolt throwers
Total 200
As usual, good for standing still and letting them come to you.

Writer of crappy fics, I hope you might derive some enjoyment from them.

FictionPress.com: For original stuff.

FanFiction.net: For stuff that is part of an established universe.

Last edited by Tim/Steve; 04-13-11 at 03:16 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-11, 03:42 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Agree with jackal for the most part, although I think your characters are fine. The BSB will die fast but if all you are after is magical protection crossing the field this is fine... what I dont get is the combo of world dragon and lv4 life mage. 1 is there to buff, the other stops you buffing...

Personally I would drop the magical banner and give your BSB the armour of stars (love that item). It guarentee that you BSB will survive the first combat (and will give you that BSB reroll) and gives you one hell of a funny way to get round beefy enemy characters: a bloodthirster charges you, you challenge with the BSB (and hit him first) then take 1 wounds and *poof* you teleport out of the fight. BT has caused 1 attack and cant thunderstomp... he loses combat and hopefully goes pop from instability
It also works really well with the archmage's life magic- you can give your BSB back teh wound and drop him back into a unit ready to do it all over again.

Archers and spear elves are fine, though like jackal I would use 2*10 archers. I'm not sure about Ellyrion, and would probably just give them a warbanner instead. Unless you use a lot of magical terrain in every game then Ellyrion isnt going to do much, while a warbanner will help a unit that normally struggles for combat res.

Sword masters are fine, though the banner of sorcery should have a better bunker... personally I never like SMs that much (and not in ranked units) but now I really dont value them. If you are 5 models wide them SM gives you 16 S5 attacks at WS6, while for the same points white lions give you 11 S6 attacks at WS5 with a +2 to armour vs shooting and forest strider and stubborn as a bonus. Personally I think that phoenix guard are better as an anvil and white lions are better as killers... which is a shame because while I have loads of SM I have no white lions at all.

White lions... no. Just no.
Well I'll start on items then go on- can't remember what the wailing banner does so I'll skip it, skeinsliver is points down the drain for no benefit. You should probably be going second with this army anyway so it doesn't normally matter who wins the dice off.
White lions do good damage so a small unit looks ok... but you lose out on their second key advantage- they're stubborn. Give them a nice big unit (20-25ish) and you can ram them into huge enemy units without the normal worries. Eg a 50 strong unit of clanrats- roll well and you win (but they're steadfast so wont run) roll badly and you could find yourself broken... but if your stubborn you should stay there regardless, and teh higher numbers mean you can take some attrition and keep fighting.

As for shadow warriors and RBTs... I would can both of them. Shadow warriors were never that great and they haven't improved. In 8th they can march and shoot but they've lost some of their manouverability and hatred now matters very little (since HEs almost always reroll to hit anyway).
RBTs used to be worth it, but with fewer monsters and heavy cav around and with all enemy warmachines being T7 (you cant hit the crew) the main roles for them have gone... and against infantry they just don't do enough.

I would scrap these units and get more specials- either more white lion, some phoenix guard or even some silver helms to act as a powerful flanking unit- don't think they'll be able to take on mainline infantry but they'll smack around other flaking units and can then party in teh enemy's back field (or support the infantry by adding a flank charge).

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-11, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Jackal View Post
Pretty usual setup, though most people put the Dawnstone on him instead of the Amulet of Light.
Sorry dawn stone plus under equpiment is illegal because it is over 100 points (105) and two of the items are talismans.

Quote:
You should probably put a ward save on him.
I want to but i don't think it would be of any use, if somthing was doing enough damage to kill him that he couldn't heal up with life magic, well my opponent can have him.

Quote:
Frankly, this guy will just be torn to shreds as soon as he hits combat. Take off the Banner of the World Dragon and make him survivable.
Taking off the banner of the world dragon gets rid of the core of the magic protection of my bigger a units but he's got tricks to avoid combat.

Quote:
A second mage is probably good. I would give him Enfeebling Foe rather than Pit of Shades.
Why not pit of shades, combined with the likelihood of unseen lurker on the archmage. This allows me cover against deathstar units who often have a high strength but low initiative (slann, dragons) or high initiative but low strength (other elves).

Quote:
I'd split it up into two 10-man units. A 20-man unit could get focus-fired and destroyed, while two 10-man units allow you more flexibility.
Good idea will do.

Quote:
Decent core selection, someone else can give you critique on the Banner of Ellyrion, I've forgotten what it does.
Looked up how the banner of Ellyrion works in the current edition... maybe not, will change to warbanner.

Quote:
Banner of Sorcery's better on an anvil such as Phoenix Guard, but if these are all the models you have, this is the best choice.
^I wholeheartedly agree

Quote:
I am unsure as to what the items are, but this is too many points for a small unit. Bring at least 20.
I only have 12 of these models, i could cut the skein silver, as Tim/Steve put it is useless now. The wailing banner gives them terror, it was either this or the banner of immune to psychology.

Quote:
Don't ever take these. If you want a good warmachine hunter or disrupter, take a couple war eagles.
Just use them because i like the models, i might cut them to 5 to allow for more upgrades or cut them completely maybe for the ward save on the archmage.

Quote:
As usual, good for standing still and letting them come to you.
And combined with the spell of lower toughness i can snipe war machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
what I dont get is the combo of world dragon and lv4 life mage. 1 is there to buff, the other stops you buffing...
If my level 2 gets a spell off i can swap places with the bsb, allowing me to buff the unit the bsb was in.

"Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that."

-Guard Quotes
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-11, 09:03 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Im not so sure about that- the world dragon stops all magic effects on the unit... Im pretty sure that would include the lore of shadow teleportation: its the result of a spell so the world dragon stops it.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-11, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

As RAW "After a spell from the lore of shadow is successfully cast and RESOLVED" the wizard can swap with another friendly character. pg 498 if the big book

I just realised Im arguing with a moderator...

-Guard Quotes

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Armylists > High Elves Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode