2500 pts High Elves - Magic Heavy - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-10, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Zaden's Flag is: Canada

Default 2500 pts High Elves - Magic Heavy

Hey all. Here is an attempt at my first High Elves army. Let me know what you think. I am going for magic heavy.

Lords:

Prince
- General
- The White Sword (+2 Str, Killing Blow)
- Armour of Caledor (Dragon Armour, 2+ Save)
- Talisman of Saphery (Negates Magic Weapons in B2B)

Archmage (Lore of Life)
- Silver Wand (+1 Spell)
- Obsidian Lodestone (MR 3)

Heroes:

Mage (High Magic)
- The Seerstaff (Choose Spells)

Mage (Lore of Fire)
- Jewel of the Dusk (+1 Power Dice)
- Obsidian Amulet (MR 2)

Core:

Lothern Sea Guard x24
- Full Command, Shields

Archers x14

Archers x14

Special:

Pheonix Guard x15
- Full Command
- Banner of Sorcery (+3 Power Dice/turn)

Pheonix Guard x15
- Full Command
- Banner of Arcane Protection (MR 2)

Swordmasters x21
- Full Command
- Banner of Swiftness (+1 Movement)

2500 Points

Prince goes with SM. Archmage with LSG. One mage with each PG.

Questions: Do I need RBTs or Eagles? Am I light on core?

Click to feed! =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-10, 10:40 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well I dont see a need for 3 mages anymore... but if you do take 3 then 1 should have the lore of metal: it gives you a quick and easy way to counter steam tanks, heavy cavalry and heavy infantry (like WoC) and can happpily be left as a Lv1 (if you dont like the rolled spell just change it to the sig spell). Personally I would just swap the 3rd mage for a BSB, which is far more valuable for your army.

You are fine for core requirements, although I would be tempted to give the LSG a warbanner.. it just gives them that little extra umph they occasionally need. With the special choices I would swap some swordmasters over to be phoenix guard- the PGs need numbers far more then swordmasters (although I think white lions are just plain better then swordmasters.. very annoying when I have ~30 SM and no WL).

You dont need eagles or RBTs in a HE army. The RBTs are less effective then they used to be, and their main targets have diminished, or you arent effective anymore- steam tanks and warmachines dont care much about bolt throwers and giants/dragons and the like are much rarer in 8th. Eagles are either march blockers or war machine hunters... march blocking doesnt work much anymore- its still good to try it as it gives the potential to screw up the enemy's advance (and disrupt their lines) but isnt vital and eagles often get killed before they reach war machines... you have little else that can couner them other then magic, but if in desperate need you could march the archers into range and then try for a bit of luck.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-10, 12:22 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

An Elf Magic Army should have Teclis. Take Teclis. Always take Teclis. He is a monster mage, and ignoring the 1st miscast each turn, plus his extra dice make him a MUST.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-10, 01:50 PM
WFB Moderator

Well, if you are making the strongest list you can imagine then Teclis is the way to go... but if you are playing friendly games avoid him- he is just about the most hated SC in the game in 8th and playing against him can be very, very boring.
I always used to carry Teclis with my HE but only use him if the opponent was being a dick or was bringing a very powerful army... in a friendly game against people with an 'ok' army he is a little too overpowered.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-10, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Zaden's Flag is: Canada

I've never be huge on taking special characters. My least fun games have always been against them, like the time I was steam rolled by Eldrad. GW puts them in for fluff reasons to keep a storyline aspect to the hobby, and to attract new blood. A newbie reads about Abaddon, and can then actually go and try him out in a game. Advanced players that have skill that still decide to include them in powerlists are not fun to share a couple of hours with...and honestly, I often see that the person that brings overpowered characters isn't always having fun either.

Thanks for the suggestions T/S. I may drop a mage for a BSB. What is making them so critical? And WLs over SMs? I figured the extra WS and A was better than the extra S and the cloaks. I guess it must be the cloaks that tip the scales?

Click to feed! =)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-10, 03:48 PM
WFB Moderator

Well the BSB gives you rerolls on all Ld tests within 12"... fear, terror, panic, break and random magic (eg take a Ld, and take a wound for every point you fail by; you still get the BSB reroll). Now with fear tests being taken every turn they're much more important then they used to be, and since a random failed panic test can cost you the game having a reroll on it is great.

SM might have an extra attack and an extra point of WS, but they dont tend to be that helpful. If you use your units 5 wide then SM get 16 attacks (with champ), while WL get 11... so its not double the number of attacks like it used to be and its rare that you need the WS6 of teh SM: most common enemies have WS3-4.
Meanwhile the extra strength is nice, especially for the armour mod which you just dont tend to have with HE. So the WL are a good counter for the things that your archers/LSG struggle to beat: they fill the role you need them to fill better then the SM. Then they are woodsmen, so they can wander through forests and not worry about them being venom thickets... but you are right, their biggest advantage is their cloaks. A 3+ save vs shooting means they'll take very few casualties, while anyone with a lot of shooting will just pincushion a unit of SM without thinking: if you switch SM to WL most people will just shoot your LSG- so either you can live with that and use the LSG to draw fire as you move in with the expensive combat units or you could just put a BSB/mage in there that you dont really want in combat and give them some sacred incense. That'll mean that all your units except the archers are bad targets for shooting (which in my view is probably more useful then having the MR2-3 everywhere)... although if you protect yourself from shooting and direct damage magic then most armies will have to try to deal with you in combat, which is exactly what you want with a list like this one (just try to have the BSB/mage/archmage bail ut of the unit before combat is made).

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-10, 02:07 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

I've not yet seen a HE army without Teclis since 8th came out, so I guess my local gamers are different folks than yours. I dread facing five elves out of six (the sixth being me) now that Blood has rained plastic elves from the skies. I'm sticking with my evil armies.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-10, 01:22 PM

VeronaKid's Flag is: USA

Just so you don't find yourself in a rules debate with your next/first opponent- the Banner of Sorcery isn't +3 PD, but +d3. Minor difference there.

Good luck.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-10, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creon View Post
I've not yet seen a HE army without Teclis since 8th came out, so I guess my local gamers are different folks than yours. I dread facing five elves out of six (the sixth being me) now that Blood has rained plastic elves from the skies. I'm sticking with my evil armies.
Take Lore of Life, Dwellers is Teclis's best friend with his strength 2.

Aramoro
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-10, 03:39 PM
WFB Moderator

Yeah, if you can get it off and if he isnt protected by a banner of the world dragon (which I know a lot of people are doing). Problem with relying on dwellers to kill Teclis is that there is a near 50% chance that he'll remove the spell from the game the first time you cast it without an irrisistable.

However, a great tactic (assuming no world dragon) is to take 2 mages with lore of life. Have a Lv4 who can buff your army (roll them first and dont take dwellers), then the second mage is almost certain to get it: cast it with a power scroll and Teclis would be very lucky to survive it (and he wont get the chance to scroll it).
This will also work against non-elf opponents since most armies have a few large units in, and you'll be very hard presses to find any of them that are higher then S4, so at least 1/3 of any targetted unit should die... and if the target is a unit of 30 WoC then its certainly worth the miscast.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Armylists > High Elves Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode