Bizarre 1.5k Vs Gunlines - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-29-12, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Azezel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Bizarre 1.5k Vs Gunlines

So, it's a long old time since I've posted an army list, mostly because it's a long old time since I've made any real changes to my lists. I'm in the mood for throwing my friends a surprise, though and this is what I've come up with. It basically breaks every rule in the 'how to make a High Elf list' book. It'll typically be used against Dwarf and Ogre gunlines.

Dwarfs: 2 cannons, Organ Gun, Str 5 Nev-R-Miss Stone thrower, 2-4 units of Thunderers. Sometimes a couple of Warrior or Longbeard blocks.

Ogres: 2+ units of Leadbelchers, Ironblaster, some bulls and maybe gnoblars.

Both armies are actually pretty light on main combat blocks, and the deepest I've ever seen these guys run a unit is four ranks.

Anyway, here goes.

--LORDS--
Aestara
Prince w/ Great Weapon, Dragon Armour, Dragon Helm, Vambraces of Defence
Barded Elven Steed
:250

--HEROES--
Wildfire
Dragon Mage of Caledor w/ Ring of Corin, Ironcurse Icon
:375

--CORE--
Vandria's Spearmen
50x Spearmen w/ Full Command, Banner of Swiftness
:490

--Special--
Zaphan's Dragon Princes of Caledor
5x Dragon Princes w/ Musician
:160

White Lion chariot
:140

Tiranoc chariot
:85

1'500

Now, my local Dwarf player seems pretty god-damned frightened of my Prince since she eliminated fully half his army through combat, death magic (RGoH) and panic checks. So much so that I can fully see him gunning for her even over the Dragon.

The Ogre player is a sometime High Elf player too, so will have a more informed opinion on what my stuff can and cannot do, but he also has less shooting than the Dwarves.

My tactics are, as you can probably imagine, to tear-arse across the table at top speed and dive into combat, mostly on the flanks if possible. The Spear Hoard will be run ten-wide and engage, ideally, two units of the enemy. Charriots take the flanks.

The Dragon Mage's job is just to get up the board turn one, throw six dice at Vaul's and knobble whatever seems to be the greatest magic item threat, probably the Grudge Thrower +STR rune or an Ogre character's defencive item. If he dies after that, I won't shed any tears. If he ever manages to cast Flaming Sword on the Spears, it's just bonus. In fact, I don't even ind if the Dragon dies after that, if he's absorbed a turn or two of incoming fire allowing the rest of the army to get into range.

Not sure if I should run the Prince with the Dragon Princes or on her own. She's a hell of a threat either way and with a 1+(RR)/4++ she can take a hell of a lot of ranged fire for a single model. She's more than capable of breaking ten thunderers on her own, and likely even a headache for a unit of leadbelchers or bulls.

I realise that I've overspent on Core, have no Eagles and (effectively) no magic, and that these are all sins, but given the armies I'll face, I think the shock value alone should work to my advantage. I doubt either of them has ever seen a High Elf army quite like this.

Looking for a friendly wargaming club on the Isle of Wight? Drop me a line.

Sisters of Battle - The Order of Glory Undimmed - 2'500 Points | High Elves - House Cyredeth - 2'500 Points | Bretonnians - The Muster of Sir Jules Estelle - 3'000 Points

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Armylists > High Elves Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode