Heresy Online Army Painting Challenge. June 2014 - May 2015. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Heresy Online Competitions The place to go to pit your skills against your fellow heretics for awards and bragging rights. Compete in sponsored competitions for fabulous prizes!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-14, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Default Heresy Online Army Painting Challenge. June 2014 - May 2015.

Quoted (mostly) from the previous thread by @humakt .

A new Army Painting Challenge will be starting as the old one finished this month. The challenge is designed to help people get motivated to paint a good portion of their armies over the period of a year. You have to paint an unit a month, every month. If you complete the challenge, besides having a nice shiny painted army, you will recive a Heresy Award , the Baton of the Grand Marshall.

I think a little twist of the rules is in order for this year so here are the new rules.

The challenge will be starting at the beginning of June, 2014 so get those models ready. Please post any questions and I will try to answer as soon as I can.

The Challenge Rules

At the beginning of each month I am going to open a new thread for the challenge. Post a picture of the unit before it has been painted. A picture of the completely painted unit needs to be posted before the end of the month. At the end of the month each thread will be closed.

I’ll post a thread with all the months completed entries each month and list the number of entries each person in the challenge has completed.

There is nothing stopping you from creating your own WIP thread if you want to, but to meet the challenge you need to post a completed unit in the challenge thread. And just like gaming there is no point cheating on this, you are only cheating yourself.

The definition of a unit for this is a squad, a character, monstrous creature, a vehicle or squadron of vehicles. This can be from different game systems and is not limited to the GW ranges. The army does not have to be ‘new’, so an army that has been started is fine, just remember the point is to paint 10 or 11 units.

You will be allowed to enter units from up to two different armies (even 2 different game systems if you want). You may also enter terrain pieces that count as fortifications. So for instance you may start with three months of doing Space Marines, but decide you need to get some of you Skaven painted, and spend another couple of months painting these. Then switch back to Space Marines for a month and paint a Fortress of Redemption.

There is no limit to the amount of times you switch between the two armies, but once selected, entries from these two armies will be the only ones eligible. Also there is no need to choose another army if you think you can do the whole challenge with a single army.

Regarding Allies, I will allow the minimum of 1 HQ and 1 Troops. By this I mean that if you are painting Imperial Guard, you could paint a SM Captain and Tactical Squad and count it towards your Primary Army. If you were to then paint a second Tactical Squad I would then count the SM's as your Secondary Army.

The challenge is to enter units so that you can have a nicely painted army at the end. I do not expect the entire army to be FOC legal. There is no hard and fast rules about what will be acceptable over the course of the challenge but you should stick to the spirit of the challenge. Do not, for example, enter ten single minature HQ choices over ten months and expect it to constitute an army. I do keep an eye on what people are entering and will let you know if you are no keeping to the spirit of the challenge.

Everybody entering the challenge will be allowed to have two 'Too much real life to paint!' tickets that they can use. This means you can have two months in the year where we will not expect any pictures of painted mini's. There is no need to advise me of these as a missing month will be marked as a Too much life ticket automatically when I do the book keeping.

There will also be at least one - but no more than two - Double Months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."

Last edited by Tawa; 07-30-14 at 11:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-14, 09:37 PM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

What about the ones that completed the previous one? It ended in April, and I don't think anyone has received their medal of honor for doing so

I will definately be participating in this one too though - But I think it's time someone took up the mantle for those badges/medals. Not a single one has been given since September last year, and quite a lot of competitions has been completed since. Be it painting, conversion or story-writing.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-29-14, 09:51 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
What about the ones that completed the previous one? It ended in April, and I don't think anyone has received their medal of honor for doing so
Awards are quartely so the painting competition award would not be due for release till July at the earliest.

As for the competition I was hoping for a break before it started again, I have started a plog so a lot of stuff I could have entered in the A.P.C is half painted so not eligible for entry, but as they say no guts no glory so fuck it yeah I'll give it another bash!

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-14, 04:07 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
Awards are quartely so the painting competition award would not be due for release till July at the earliest.
Not this one, that is true. However, the awards from the deathmatch competitions, along with the conversion and the fluff writing awards goes back a lot further.

Glad to have you on board for the next batch as well!
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-14, 04:42 AM

iamtheeviltwin's Flag is: USA

Count me in...the APC really motivated me to get some stuff done last year.

Servants of the Laughing God (Harlequin Themed Eldar Army)
First Eastern Mirage Corps (C:SM)
I am the Evil Project Log (All my work since restarting the hobby)
The Crusade of Morr (WFB Empire Battle Reports)
Dem Bones (Dice Rolling Program)
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-14, 07:03 AM

Relise's Flag is: England

I'm not doing this year. Its an excellent way of motivating yourself to paint but I found myself rushing things to get them finished on time and not painting as well as could be. I also want to paint some Relics figures this year as well so won't have time for that in between challenge units.

Good luck to everyone who is going to take part I'll keep an eye on threads for some inspiration
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-14, 07:15 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Quote:

I will definately be participating in this one too though - But I think it's time someone took up the mantle for those badges/medals. Not a single one has been given since September last year, and quite a lot of competitions has been completed since. Be it painting, conversion or story-writing.
I had not forgotten the awards for the last challenge. In fact awards in general will be looked at by the moderator team and dolled out in the not too distant future so a shiney medal will be winging its way to those who completed the challenge. I will be posting results up as well so keep an eye open.

Tawa is taking over the running of the challenge from me (at least the day to day running of it) so you should contact him for any queries. I will still be involved and think I will actually take part this month as I need to get a move on with my Eldar deamons.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-14, 08:08 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

I'm in. I dunno if I finished last year's comp successfully, being right on the cusp at around 9ish units, maybe 10, but I am totally down to participate again. Going to try to figure out how I can post my photos to the forum without clumsy circumlocutions...

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-14, 03:50 PM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

I don't know. I have a lot of Shaltari (DzC) I want to paint (I'm not sure if that counts) as well as Wood Elves, so I guess I can give it a shot.

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-30-14, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
I had not forgotten the awards for the last challenge. In fact awards in general will be looked at by the moderator team and dolled out in the not too distant future so a shiney medal will be winging its way to those who completed the challenge.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMOB View Post
I don't know. I have a lot of Shaltari (DzC) I want to paint (I'm not sure if that counts) as well as Wood Elves, so I guess I can give it a shot.
I'll be entering with my own (brand new) Dystopian Wars stuff, so don't worry about it
However, I'll have another of the Staff decide if my entries qualify each month instead of judging my own

Quote:
Not this one, that is true. However, the awards from the deathmatch competitions, along with the conversion and the fluff writing awards goes back a lot further.
Don't worry mate, I'm still missing one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Heresy Online Competitions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode