Army Painting Challenge 2013 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Heresy Online Competitions The place to go to pit your skills against your fellow heretics for awards and bragging rights. Compete in sponsored competitions for fabulous prizes!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Default Army Painting Challenge 2013

A new painting challenge will be starting as the old one finsihed in Feburary. The challenge is designed to help people get motivated to paint a good portion of their armies over the period of a year. You have to paint an unit a month, every month. If you complete the challenge, besides having a nice shiney painted army, you will recive a Heresy Award , Baton of the Grand Marshall.

I think a little twist of the rules is in order for this year so here are the new rules.

The challenge will be starting at the beginning of May, 2013 so get those models ready. Please post any questions and I will try to answer as soon as I can.

The Challenge Rules

At the beginning of each month I am going to open a new thread for the challenge. Post a picture of the unit before it has been painted. A picture of the completely painted unit needs to be posted before the end of the month. At the end of the month the thread will be closed.

I’ll post a thread with all the months completed entries each month and list the number of entries each person in the challenge has completed.

There is nothing stopping you from creating your own WIP thread if you want to, but to meet the challenge you need to post a completed unit in the challenge thread. And just like gaming there is no point cheating on this, you are only cheating yourself.

The definition of a unit for this is a squad, a character, monstrous creature, a vehicle or squadron of vehicles. This can be a 40K or WHF army. The army does not have to be ‘new’, so an army that has been started is fine, just remember the point is to paint 10 or 11 units.

You will be allowed to enter units from upto 2 different armies (even 2 different game systems if you want). You may also enter terrain pieces that count as fortifications. So for instance you may start with 3 months of doing Space Marines, but decide you need to get some of you Skaven painted, and spend another couple of months painting these. Then switch back to Space Marines for a month and paint a Fort of Rdemption.

There is no limit to the amount of times you switch between the 2 armies, but once selected, entries from these 2 armies will be the only ones eligible. Also there is no need to choose another army if you think you can do the whole challenge with a single army.

The challenge is to enter units so that you can have a nicely painted army at the end. I do not expect the entire army to be FOC legal. There is no hard and fast rules about what will be acceptable over the course of the challenge but you should stick to the spirit of the challenge. Do not, for example, enter 10 single minature HQ choices over 10 months and expect it to constitute an army. I do keep an eye on what people are entering and will let you know if you are no keeping to the spirit of the challenge.

Everybody entering the challenge will be allowed to have two 'Too much real life to paint!' tickets that they can use. This means you can have two months in the year where we will not expect any pictures of painted mini's. There is no need to advise me of these as a missing month will be marked as a Too much life ticket automatically when I do the book keeping.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 11:56 AM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Okay I'm in on this again, and plan to get more than one mini painted for it unlike last year!!!! Wifey has banned me getting a contemptor dread until I clear my desk of bare/stripped/half done plastic crack!

post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 11:57 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

May! But but but i want to get started now!

Haha all good mate, just gives me another month to prep. For the painting challenge this year I will be doing Minotaurs Space Marines focussing mainly on the First Company but also some support elements from the 10 Company and one of the battle companys. Not planning on a second army yet but we will see.

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 11:58 AM

infernalcaretaker's Flag is: England

I'm in - do we have to choose the second army before we start, or can we choose it later on when we decide to switch to it? I ask, as I have many to choose from, and it will usually be a whim which makes me switch... ¬¬

~Thou Shalt Not Install A Fridge In Thy Rhino To 'Cool Down' Thy Plasma Guns~

Clan Draythar - An Iron Hands Project Log

PDC Gaming Webstore Now OPEN!
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 11:59 AM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Count me in!

Chaos Marines for me this year. My first love of 40k which I have ignored for about 7yrs. Time to re-dedicate myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 12:05 PM

Logaan's Flag is: England

Definitely in for this!

Was going to just continue with my Imperial Guard but, as is usual in my strange world, I have had a change of heart and now plan a super evil Beastman horde.

Plans for procurement are already afoot and I shall be out in the car park later with a drum and some warpaint invoking the assistance of the dark painting gods.

*checks tenancy agreement*

Actually, I could probably get evicted for such actions. Meh.

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 12:13 PM

Turnip86's Flag is: England

Yaaaaaay, I'll be doing my Chaos Marines and either empire or WoC then! I already have plenty prepped so want to get started now xD

I think I might just do my first unit of CSM's before the challenge starts just to get a feel for the paint scheme
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 12:17 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logaan View Post
Definitely in for this!

Was going to just continue with my Imperial Guard but, as is usual in my strange world, I have had a change of heart and now plan a super evil Beastman horde.

Plans for procurement are already afoot and I shall be out in the car park later with a drum and some warpaint invoking the assistance of the dark painting gods.

*checks tenancy agreement*

Actually, I could probably get evicted for such actions. Meh.
Just declare your right to do so under "religious freedom"

Looking forward to seeing what you do with Goatboy and pals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernalcaretaker View Post
I'm in - do we have to choose the second army before we start, or can we choose it later on when we decide to switch to it?
There is no need to tell me the first or second army choice until you posted in the monthly threads. I make a note of what unit you have entered and will know if you change armies.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 04:24 PM

iamtheeviltwin's Flag is: USA

I'm going to join this as well. I plan on completing the Fifth company for my Custom FEMC Space Marines. Been heavily E-baying to get the models, painting is the next step.

(Of course if the coming Eldar Codex features an expanded Harlequin role, I will probably move back to my first love)

Servants of the Laughing God (Harlequin Themed Eldar Army)
First Eastern Mirage Corps (C:SM)
I am the Evil Project Log (All my work since restarting the hobby)
The Crusade of Morr (WFB Empire Battle Reports)
Dem Bones (Dice Rolling Program)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Heresy Online Competitions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode