Army Painting Challenge 2012 - September - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Heresy Online Competitions The place to go to pit your skills against your fellow heretics for awards and bragging rights. Compete in sponsored competitions for fabulous prizes!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-05-12, 05:48 PM

KarnalBloodfist's Flag is: USA

Had them done since the site was last down but just getting them up now. Nothing like waiting until the last minute! Here are my scarabs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-06-12, 11:12 AM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

me too, i painted this guy an age ago as my bad moons big mek.

I know it's another indi character but it's the last one i promise, i've been snowed under opening my shop and this is all i could manage.

Edit: By age ago i mean at the start of September...

post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-08-12, 12:15 AM

Taggerung's Flag is: USA

I can't find my actual camera

Phone shots will have to do. Sorry for crappy quality.

Check out my DKOK Project Log!

Armies : Raven Lords Chapter, 219th Siege Regiment and Da Grotteef Waaaaghhhh

Currently Painting : 219th Siege Regiment, about 25% done! Last updated 3/7/2013

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-08-12, 01:25 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Hey Tag,

Phone shots don't have to be bad. 2 things help a lot, good lighting, and a photo editing program to crop and correct.

Photoshop is killer, but for basic editing GiMP (google it, it's free) will definitely do the trick.

I do all my miniature photos with my Samsung smart phone, then just crop and tweak.

PM me if you have questions.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-08-12, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
Hey Tag,

Phone shots don't have to be bad. 2 things help a lot, good lighting, and a photo editing program to crop and correct.

Photoshop is killer, but for basic editing GiMP (google it, it's free) will definitely do the trick.

I do all my miniature photos with my Samsung smart phone, then just crop and tweak.

PM me if you have questions.
Thanks for the offers! I actually know how to use photoshop, but it's mostly just bad lighting and it's already dark here. I usually take my pictures outside to get some natural lighting. I am going to retake these on an actual camera sometime this weekend probably then put them in my log

Currently Painting : 219th Siege Regiment, about 25% done! Last updated 3/7/2013
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-08-12, 01:38 AM

You're welcome! And glad to hear it!
Of course, many of our members don't know photo editing or can't afford a copy of photoshop so I still throw it out there from time to time.

"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:

Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-08-12, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
You're welcome! And glad to hear it!
Of course, many of our members don't know photo editing or can't afford a copy of photoshop so I still throw it out there from time to time.
That's great you do. Gimp is great if you have nothing else, I use it at work from time to time since my PS copy isn't exactly legit haha

Just curious, what kind of tweaks do you do in PS to make camera pics look better? Also how do you get good lighting for miniatures?

post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-08-12, 02:21 AM

I'm not too fancy with my photos.

Like I said I use a camera phone. I have a samsung galaxy SII, which has an 8 megapixel camera. Though it has a tendency to get a little grainy.

Attached is a shot of my painting desk (taken with my wife's old samsung camera). I usually have a sheet of white paper on the base of the upper work lamp, I set my figures up there and use my camera-phone to take a pic.

The camera-phone actually has an auto-white balance feature which I typically leave on, but sometimes it needs help. The second attached image (taken with my smart-phone) is a good example of a photo with poor white-balancing. If I were going to use this photo I'd use an adjustment layer with either curves or levels to correct the white balancing and correct the value.

My goal is always to get the color as close to real life as possible.

I know that's not step by step. If you want step by step we can start a thread on it or move this to PM because it'll get pretty long(er) winded pretty fast.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg miniatures_desk_01b.jpg (153.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg example_unchanged_photo_20121015_231148.jpg (74.1 KB, 3 views)

Quote:

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Heresy Online Competitions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode