Army Painting Challenge 2012 - July - Page 10 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Heresy Online Competitions The place to go to pit your skills against your fellow heretics for awards and bragging rights. Compete in sponsored competitions for fabulous prizes!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-03-12, 08:05 AM

infernalcaretaker's Flag is: England

Blarg...

I think I am running out of Real Life Cards

Will see what I can muster in the next two weeks until I ship out to China...

~Thou Shalt Not Install A Fridge In Thy Rhino To 'Cool Down' Thy Plasma Guns~

Clan Draythar - An Iron Hands Project Log

PDC Gaming Webstore Now OPEN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-03-12, 09:46 AM

Turnip86's Flag is: England

Aaaaaaand finished. To a point where I feel happy to leave them at least. There are a few things I'd like to go back to, maybe change some colours, add a few new ones in but at the moment I'm using a very limited set of paints and mixing up most colours I use so getting the 'right' colour can be difficult.

These guys will be doubling up as mordheim warband grunts for either an undead or merc warband so I tried to make them as individual as possible while not taking as much time over them as a lord or hero choice. I have some short back story on each member so check my plog over the next couple of days if you're interested.

post #93 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-03-12, 03:52 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

I'm squeaking in under the wire this month, vacations and obligations definitely put a damper on getting this guy done.

I've been working on this conversion off and on for months now. It took a long time to get the pewter crane arm to work as a daemonic servo-arm. Thus far, I haven't seen another daemonic servo arm that I think works better. I did a lot of looking around on the net to see how other had done it, and I just so happened to have the orky crane arm, and it seemed just about a perfect fit. It took a lot of sculpting and a lot of pinning to make it work though.

One of my favorite techniques I used on this guy, in a few places is test fitting with live green stuff. Did it a bit with the arms, but the key place was the servo arm. The problem with the daemonic servo-arm is that it is big, heavy, and needs to connect to the body via a fairly small contact area. I also knew for painting purposes it would complicate the model incredibly if I had to paint the servo arm attached to the body.

So to make a join like that work with this sort of hefty component I needed to ensure that there would be a maximum surface area in contact so that the super glue would hold it, and I needed to be able to pin it in several place. The angle of the metal bit didn't lend itself to being drilled and fit to the upper shoulder/backpack area where the vent-arm would normally have connected.

So I first bulked up the shoulder-end of the servo-arm and let that cure. After that was cured I came back and covered the end of the servo arm in green stuff and wet the area of active green stuff and pressed it into the backpack/shoulder socket. I held it gently in place and used a rounded sculpting tool to press the putty in around the joining area to make sure it was full and tight.

Once it looked good I separated the pieces gently, ensuring the molded fit I just made didn't distort. Once it cured I was able to use the green stuff shape to get some purchase with my pin vice and start the pinning process. I used 2 pins on slight angles to one another, and almost parallel to the ground. this let me test fit the pins and glue them in place. So as I painted the model I could fit the servo arm on and check the look, without having to hold the bit, the pins, the fitted shape, and gravity held it firmly enough to stand freely on my painting desk.

Detailing the mutation on the servo arm was all fairly easy. Green stuff, guitar wire etc. The only part that I'm still conflicted about is the ridging on the upper side of arm. I intended it to be similar but not identical to the ridging on the vent-arm. My thinking was that he started having a backpack as a normal lord might, but the servo-arm fused to it or grew out of it; which is A) why I didn't create an entirely separate structure for it attached to the back of the model and B) why I wanted to emulate the look of the vent-arm.

The painting process was a lot less adventurous, other than a pretty weak first attempt at OSL on the little backpack jets. Otherwise its a pretty straight ahead iron warrior so far without hazard stripes. Despite having a contingent of Iron Warriors in my list since 2nd ed I've never been crazy about the hazard stripes. I might add some to a grieve . . . but I'm undecided. Hazard stripes just seem too orderly for a daemon prince.

Cheers!
Kreuger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daemon_prince_front.jpg (147.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg daemon_prince_back.jpg (145.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Daemonf_prince_side.jpg (147.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IW_daemon_prince_done-top-angle.jpg (142.6 KB, 5 views)

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

post #94 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-03-12, 07:40 PM

Howzaa's Flag is: England

Getting in there at the last moment with my based on dark angels veterans, word bearers chosen. Thought the robes were fitting for them and all meltas for some anti tank punch. Banner on the unpainted photo will be added later when I think of what to paint on it.
post #95 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-03-12, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Some nice entries for the month. That's all for July folks.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Heresy Online Competitions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode