1750pt Draigowing help - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-02-11, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Bushido's Flag is: South Africa

Default 1750pt Draigowing help

Hello all, I need some help with this Draigowing I am working on. I have playtested many variant, and have had some success in small local tournies Im really just ironing out the creases.

HQ

Draigo

Inquisitor (rad grenades) - 40

Troops

10 Paladins - 670
1. psycannon, halberd
2. psycannon, MC halberd
3. psycannon, sword
4. psycannon, MC sword
5. halberd
6. MC halberd
7. Sword
8. Warding stave
9. hammer
10. MC hammer (cant touch this)

5 Paladins - 320
1. psycannon, halberd
2. psycannon, sword
3. halberd
4. sword
5. MC hammer (cant touch this)

Heavy Support

Psyrifledread - 135

Psyrifledread - 135

Psyrifledread - 135

Total - 1710

So as you can see im 40pts short and I have no idea what to do with them. Before everyone throws their toys around the room and demands that I take psychtroke grenades or a brotherhood banner, let me explain;

Psycho grenades: to random and when you think about it most of the effects are not that great (ie just about everything I would be scared of facing in CC is fearless, so what use does reducing my enemies Ld to 2 have?)

Banner: This is pretty awesome, if its running in a 10man unit, If I want to break that unit down it severely loses it's effectiveness.

So thats it, let me know what you think and provide some suggestions of how I can fill the 40pt gap. Currently im just using the 40pts to give the inquisitor power armour and to MC some weapons, but it feels like 40pts wasted.

Cheers

"In the morning I will be sober but you will still be ugly"

Also known as lt_sparky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-02-11, 11:43 AM

Is the Inquisitor meant to sit with one Paladin Squad on an objective? How do you use him? It doesnt seem like the rad grenades would do much, as Hammerhand allows you to 2+ anything soft, Eldar excepted (damn farseers), and 3+ for most MeQ and TeQ variants seems like enough given that every attack from the Paladins ignores armor. Im inexperienced I realize, but my suggestion might be to get rid of the Inquisitor altogether, and maybe get an apothecary upgrade on one of the Squads, or to turn one of the Dreads into a Venerable or something

The Grey Knights: Because Huzzah for Blind Faith and Unreasonable Hatred!
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-02-11, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Is the Inquisitor meant to sit with one Paladin Squad on an objective? How do you use him? It doesnt seem like the rad grenades would do much, as Hammerhand allows you to 2+ anything soft, Eldar excepted (damn farseers), and 3+ for most MeQ and TeQ variants seems like enough given that every attack from the Paladins ignores armor. Im inexperienced I realize, but my suggestion might be to get rid of the Inquisitor altogether, and maybe get an apothecary upgrade on one of the Squads, or to turn one of the Dreads into a Venerable or something
To be honest you are right. The rad grenades are not really necessary, its not often where I find that they tip the game in my favour but it's something. I took the inquisitor for two reasons 1: I wanted a little more punch in combat but the more important 2nd reason was that I had 80pts lying around and unfortunately with the GK codex there isnt much you can do with 80pts. How I plan to use the inquisitor is just to provide a little extra kick in CC with the use of the grenades wherever I need it, simple as that.

I find the apothecary to be a HUGE waste in points, my paladins dont fall from dakka what is a threat to them is high strength and low AP weapons, both of which ignore feel no pain, and even worse power weapons in CC which Im really scared of also ignore feel no pain. Once again the apothecary has the same problem as the banner, once I split the unit down into two 5 man units it only becomes applicable to that 5man squad.

Venerable can be nice but im hesitant to spend 60pts on it.

Thanks for your input though, keep it coming.

Also known as lt_sparky

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-02-11, 12:55 PM

To be honest, the main problem I see with the inquisitor is that they cannot deepstrike with the Paladins, other than that, they are definitely a cost effective unit, and customisable to boot

And you're right, cheap options in the Grey Knights Codex are almost nonexsistant unless you're running Coteaz spam

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-02-11, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Deep strike paladins! Are you mad!? Ok its not that serious haha but I would never deep strike my very very expensive paladin unit especially without servo skulls, would rather outflank with them.

Also known as lt_sparky
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-02-11, 04:09 PM
bastex's Flag is: Belgium

how about a techmarine my local greyknight player never leaves home whitout his techmarine
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-03-11, 01:24 AM

Quote:
and even worse power weapons in CC which Im really scared of
You should never be scared of power weapons in combat for 2 reasons.

1 is wound allocation, you can take 7+ power weapon wounds in a combat before you start losing models which is the only point at which the opponent has actually achived anything

2 everything dies before it attacks with the very narrow exeption of a cunning multi assault which you should be avoiding anyway. There is no single unit in the game that can handle a 10 man paladin unit in combat, do the maths if 10 stormshield termis charge the pallies they lose 7 before they even attack (assuming banner and 1 hammer in the palli unit) the 3 remaining Stormshields then punch back and kill 1.

10 stormshield termis is the best that most armies can do and that doest even cut it. to deal with them they need say assault marines to charge in and tie up a bunch of models so the stormshilds can avoid getting hit as hard. Trick is that you make a ball so that they can only engage like 4 pallies and the others pile into the termis which lose like 4.
Keep in mind also this does not include buffs granted by ICs like psycotroke grenades or the actual ICs attacks, with draigo and an inquisitor in the mix you kill more and lose less.

with a 10 man palli unit your always the big dog in the pen, you are the aggressor, the onus is on the opponent to deal with you.
One thing that might change the way you view this unit is that you should almost ALWAYS keep them as a 10 man for this reason. because its always a 10 man you should always have a banner which changes how they play dramatically. It improves the nuber of power weapon attacks by 6 on the charge 7 off the charge which is the same as another 2 paladins on the charge and 3.5 off the charge.

even if you do decide to split them you pay 2 attacks to gain 4 so its 25 pts for a whole paladin worth of attacks off the charge. On the charge you pay 3 to gain 4 so its less than half the cost of another paladin for 1/3 of a paladin worth of attacks which is less good but that is the only scenario when its worse.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-03-11, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
Deep strike paladins! Are you mad!? Ok its not that serious haha but I would never deep strike my very very expensive paladin unit especially without servo skulls, would rather outflank with them.
Gotta love Grand Strategy!

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-03-11, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
how about a techmarine my local greyknight player never leaves home whitout his techmarine
I would love to since he has hammerhand and can take both rad and blind grenades, but I cant find the points.

Quote:
You should never be scared of power weapons in combat for 2 reasons.
uh...
How about a unit of 10 death cult assassins with a inquisitor + rad grenades, thats 13+ inv saves. Or how about 9 incubi with vect 12+ invl saves. Even the lowly thunder hammer storm shield build you used as an example. These units wont wipe out a 10man unit of paladins (but it is possible) but they will tear them apart and do some damage which means I could fall back and then be left out in the open for some scary shooting. Also although they may need to do a wound to each model before the unit starts to lose combat effectiveness what people don't seem to realise is that the unit now is effectively terminators with +1WS which means that if they will start to fall far more easily. Most importantly is that in just about every objective game i split my 10man paladin unit, how do you think 5 paladins will fair against the builds I have mentioned? I wish I could always keep them as a 10man unit but its pretty hard to hold 4+ objectives against something like DE, also one unit means I can only fire at 1 enemy unit a turn.

Dont get me wrong paladins are hard, there isnt much that can take them down but an opponent is not going to only commit 1 CC unit to deal with them, there will be alot of help in the form of shooting and other CC units. I am hardly ever worried that my 10man unit will die in a game, but it has happened.

Also known as lt_sparky
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-03-11, 09:39 AM

Well 9 incubi + vect charge and azdrubal attacks and causes 3.5 wounds which actually does 1 and a bit wound if you have a warding staff and a few swords... Impressive huh?
Now at I6 the paldins kill 7.5 incubi assuming you dont have a sanctuary floating around in which case all but azdrubal die.
The remaining incubi are lucky to do a wound.
So now the rest of the incubi die and 0 paladins have been removed.
Azdrubal lises combat horribly and maybe loses his shatterfield from fearless saves then dies horribly.
Also keep in mind if there are psycotroke gendades theres a 50% chance that all the incubi die before they attack.
BEST case scenario the incubi have 2 pain tokens and theres no ICs around the paladins still kill all the incubi without losing a model.
This is however kind of moot because Vs dark eldar the 3 psyfledreds will slay a the whole fleet by themselves leaving walking dorks to be shot to pieces.

The death cult assasins, again assuming theres no sanctuary or psycotrokes and assuming none of them need to move through terrain will still be lucky to kill a model, at which point they all die.

Maybe the reason you dont get how hard these guys are is because you dont have a banner and you split them up. Practice playing with them together and do the maths when situations come up that might see you lose.
There are only a few ways you can lose and they all involve the same things.
A source of lots of instant death power weapon wounds like abaddon or mephiston or a unit of hammer shield termis and a lots of random dorks with enough mobility to tie up enough paladins that they cant hit the source hard enough.
In this situation it takes quite particular placement for the paldins to lose and if you know its coming you can prevent that combat.
Also keep in mind with psycotroke grenades or sanctuary this whole thing might jsut end in your favour anyway.

Even missions with 5 objectives you dont need to split, you can just push the enemy units away from the section of the board with all the objectives it should be easy.

Last edited by paddlepop lion; 10-03-11 at 09:41 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Grey Knights Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode