HQ:
Draigo
Coteaz

Troops:
Henchmen Warband w/ 1x Mystic, 6x Psykers, 1x Warrior w/ Melta, Rhino
10x Paladins w/ 4x MC Pyscannons, 2x Hammer, 6x Halberd, 1x Banner, 1x Warding Staff

Heavy Support:
Rifleman Dread 135
Rifleman Dread 135
-----------
1911 points

So this is what I have so far, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. The idea would be to pinpoint Deep Strike Draigo + Paladin Squad using the mystics (or just walk them on if the situation called for it).

I like the idea of having 4 bunkers with a S8 AP1 Large Blast + Melta in them. But would I be better off packing in some Psycannons?

Also, whats the best way to set up the Paladins for wound allocation?

Last but not least, is the loss of the Libby that big a deal?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-11, 04:36 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

The 10 paladins need to split into 2x 5 paladins. I know you can combat squad deploy, but you can't combat squad in reserve. So they're coming in as a blob. The only thing I can say about Psykerspam is perils and hoods can make your day very bad. A single perils and you're using rhino's full of 1 mystic and 1 melta. And with an 8, reliable use of psykers are not expected.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-11, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

IntereoVivo's Flag is: Ghana

I can't combat squad in reserve, but I can as soon as they are deployed. Meaning I can split into two groups of 5 when they enter play (via Deep Strike) and deploy them in different places on the table. At least I think it works this way.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-11, 08:22 PM

That's judged as a "no you can't" everywhere I've played. You can't combat squad before deployment, and you start deployment by rolling your single reserve roll. Perhaps you have a different experience, but that's what I have seen, tournaments and locally.

The quoted rule is "during deployment, when declaring which units are left in reserve, the player must clearly explain the organization of his reserves to his opponent." Since you would have to declare combat squadding at this time, and you can't combat squad in reserve, you're not allowed to combat squad in reserve.

I also don't like the mystic. Great, he's a teleport homer. The squads you've described are long range shooters. The mystics are rarely going to be a place where they'll do any good for an assault drop.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-11, 10:11 PM

Bushido's Flag is: South Africa

Quote:
I can't combat squad in reserve, but I can as soon as they are deployed. Meaning I can split into two groups of 5 when they enter play (via Deep Strike) and deploy them in different places on the table. At least I think it works this way.
Nope, I think this whole combat squad thing was answered in the Space Marine faq, but im not sure. Regardless everywhere I have played doesnt allow it.

Quote:
10x Paladins w/ 4x MC Pyscannons, 2x Hammer, 6x Halberd, 1x Banner, 1x Warding Staff
I find the banner to be redudant, there isnt much which paladins cant handle in CC so they dont benefit that much from the extra attacks, especially if you split the squad then only half of the unit is getting an extra attack. I would also drop the MC on the psycannons. This is my favorite build for 10 paladins for the wound allocation:
1. psycannon, halberd
2. psycnnon, MC halberd
3. psycannon, sword
4. psycannon, MC sword
5. halberd
6. MC halberd
7. sword
8. warding stave
9. hammer
10. MC hammer
= 670

The libby is great, but I think people over estimate it. You get psychic defence from the dreads, the only powers you consistently benefit from is sanctuary (which is never a game changer IMO) might of titan and shrouding. Ok shrouding is godly, but I dont think its worth all the extra points. Basically what im saying is that I take him if I have the points, but I wouldnt feel sore loosing him.

I love the idea of your list btw

"In the morning I will be sober but you will still be ugly"

Also known as lt_sparky
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-11, 11:58 AM

Hellgore's Flag is: Germany

The FAQ only clarifies that CS out of a vehicle coming in from reserve is not possible except for droppods.
And the rules state clearly that you DEPLOY units that come from reserves while combat squads state that you split the unit when it's DEPLOYED.

Every rule discussion on every forum I read ended with this reasoning and it wasn't disputed afterwards. Read the threads concerning this topic here on heresy.
So every TO denying it is breaking the rules/making home rules.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-11, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

At my FLGS we do play with the interpretation that Hellgore highlighted above, but I'll keep the discussion in mind if I take this list to any tournaments.

Thanks for your comments Bushido, that will help as I try to refine this list. I've been thinking about all of your comments and trying to come up with a slightly more cohesive version of the list. This is what I have so far.

Draigo
Coteaz (rides with Servitor Squad)

10x Paladins:
1x psycannon, halberd
1x psycnnon, MC halberd
1x psycannon, sword
1x psycannon, MC sword
1x halberd
1x MC halberd
1x sword
1x warding stave
1x hammer
1x MC hammer

Henchman Warband: w/ 1x Mystic, 6x Psyker, 1x Joko, Rhino
Henchman Warband: w/ 1x Mystic, 6x Psyker, 1x Joko, Rhino
Henchman Warband: w/ 1x Mystic, 3x Servitors, 2x Crusader, Rhino
Henchman Warband: w/ 1x Mystic, 4x Crusader, 2x Warriors (Meltas), Rhino

Psyrifle Dread
Psyrifle Dread
-------------
1998 Points

The main way this list differs from the first is in the suitability of each of the warbands for their perspective spot on the field. The Servitors + Coteaz run mid-field while the Psyker Squads play on the flanks and the Warriors try for the advanced position. Vs more aggressive armies I can just sit back and shoot and then reinforce my line where I need to. This gives me a consistent spread in most matchups.

The only thing I'm a little unsure about is the number of Paladins...I feel like I should have at least 5 more. But that would mean dropping two of the warbands. Thoughts?

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-11, 01:30 PM

Bushido's Flag is: South Africa

Quote:
The only thing I'm a little unsure about is the number of Paladins...I feel like I should have at least 5 more. But that would mean dropping two of the warbands. Thoughts?
One of my lists which I have had great success with only has 10 paladins and 10 striker grey knights (with libby, draigo, and rifle dreads). I never have problems with only 10 paladins, it doesn't happen often that my opponent has enough to take out a full 10man unit. That being said your other troop units aren't very hard to shift from objectives, IMO go for the paladins but I don't see any huge problems with your list as it is now.

Quote:
Henchman Warband: w/ 1x Mystic, 4x Crusader, 2x Warriors (Meltas), Rhino
Grey knights do suffer from a lack of melta, but a single unit in a rhino will easily be taken out long range or avoided before they pop that big scary land raider.

"In the morning I will be sober but you will still be ugly"

Also known as lt_sparky
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-11, 01:36 PM

pg.2, SM FAQ:

Q: Can you take a Drop Pod with a 10-man squad and
then put a combat squad in it, deploying the other
combat squad on the table, or leave it in reserve but
not in the Drop Pod? (p69)
A: No, because squads that are placed in reserve may
not break down into combat squads.

This is not for drop pods only. The FAQ clearly states "Squads placed in reserve may not break down into combat squads" Play however you want, the rules say you can't combat squad in reserve.

The second squad construction is much better, though I'd rather see some Death Cult in there, it's much better. I find the Joco's with the Psykers a killer combo, especially if you roll "5++ save" for everyone.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-11, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Creon, that's what I'm confused about. Combat Squading happens when a unit is deployed, not at the beginning of the game. A unit placed in reserve is not deployed. A unit placed from reserve onto the board is now deployed and therefor eligible to be combat squad'd.

So, I put my unit in reserve (choose not to deploy it), and then, when it comes in (when I deploy it) I choose to Combat Squad.

The FAQ you reference is only reinforcing that Combat Squading only happens after a unit is deployed and never before.

Bushido, that's a great point. Maybe they'll be swapped out for some Death Cult as per Creon's suggestion. I'm going to have to work on this a bit more.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Grey Knights Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode