2000pt Newbie knights! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-11, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Default 2000pt Newbie knights!

Hey thar

Recently dived back into 40k from a bit of break. Started looking at what races in 40k id like to try out from scratch, found a grey knight codex, took a gander and it was pretty awesome!

Here is a 2000pt list

HQ

Librarian w/ warding stave, sanctuary, might of titan, warp rift, quicksilver, the shrouding and x3 servo skulls

ELITE

Venerable dreadnought w/ assault cannon, twin-linked autocannon and psy-bolt ammo

5 man Paladin squad w/ x2 psycannon, x2 halberd, pair of falchions, MC DH

5 man purifier squad w/ x2 halberd, x2 psycannon, MC DH and razorback w/ psy-bolt ammo

TROOP

10 man Strike squad w/ x2 psycannon, MC DH, psy-bolt ammo and rhino

HEAVY SUPPORT

Dreadknight w/ personal teleporter, heavy incinerator and greatsword

Dreadknight w/ heavy psycannon and greatsword

Questions)

1 should i swap the libby for a grand master to add an additional scoring unit or is this fine as is?

2 are paladins best played as: footslogging, deepstriken w/ assistance of servo skulls or in a land raider or chimera?

thanks

Last edited by Tophawtdog4411; 06-22-11 at 11:38 PM. Reason: weird text glitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-28-11, 03:56 PM

Bushido's Flag is: South Africa

Ok well firstly if you want some info on paladins go have a look at this: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/....php?p=1013323

What isnt in that tactica is how to transport them. When only dealing with 5 I would say that they are best in a land raider or storm raven since they cant handle the fire they will take when walking on or deep strike not to mention the potentially dirty scatter.

Quote:
Librarian w/ warding stave, sanctuary, might of titan, warp rift, quicksilver, the shrouding and x3 servo skulls
Well firstly as I touched on your paladins will need some transport assuming this guy joins he will also need it. In a list like this I would say that a grandmaster is a better idea, especially with how you have kitted your strike squads, give them scout and outflank those nasty S5 storm bolters and psycannons. I would do the grand master something like this:
Grand Master - 220 (rad and psycho grenades, 3 servo skulls)
The grenades might seem like overkill but I have found that although paladins are awesome they can be dominated by CC troops grenades give them that extra little push. Also since you only have 2 scoring units the grand master could be helpful in those games with 5 objectives.

Quote:

Alot of people are fighting about wether to put the DH on the justicar (allowing it to be MCed) or not, on the plus side you get and extra attack and master crafted on the down if you get perils you can kiss you expensive hammer goodbye.

Quote:
Venerable dreadnought w/ assault cannon, twin-linked autocannon and psy-bolt ammo
I would only consider this if I was taking a storm raven which would allow me to make nice use of the reinforced aegis and would negate the problem of range with the assualt cannon. However without the storm raven and especially in this list I would say just make him a standard dread with 2 TL autocannons and psy ammo.

I also feel that you can never go wrong with a vindicare especially since youre low on anti tank. Also im not sold in dreadknights, but thats just me. Ok so this is what I would do with your list (I hate it when people do this but i have time and im bored so you are just going to have to deal with it)

HQ

Grand Master - 220 (rad and psycho grenades, 3 servo skulls)

Elite

Vindicare

5 Paladins - 315
1. psycannon, halberd
2. psycannon, sword
3. halberd
4. sword
5. hammer

5 Purifiers - 199 (2 psycannons, DH, razorback with psyammo, 2 halberds)

Troops

10 Strikers - 290 (2 psycannons, DH, psy ammo, rhino)

10 Strikers - 290 (2 psycannons, DH, psy ammo, rhino)

Fast Attack

Storm raven - 205 (TL multi-melta)

Heavy Support

Dreadnought - 135 (2 TL autocannons, psy ammo)

Dreadnought - 135 (2 TL autocannons, psy ammo)

= 1934 (by my maths)

Ok so that is what I would do and if im right you still have some points to spend, but your original list isn't bad, really.

"In the morning I will be sober but you will still be ugly"

Also known as lt_sparky
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-28-11, 05:43 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophawtdog4411 View Post
Hey thar

Recently dived back into 40k from a bit of break. Started looking at what races in 40k id like to try out from scratch, found a grey knight codex, took a gander and it was pretty awesome!

Here is a 2000pt list

HQ

Too many powers on him. Should also not have warding stave, it's too many points on the model already he's better off with a Halberd to go first. Take the Shrouding and Warp Rift. Take 2 servos, you should be fine with that.

Add Draigo. This gives you a GM, a rather hard combat Eternal warrior, and shifts your paladins to Troops.
Quote:

ELITE

The mixed ranges really hurt this guy. ACs aren't great up close, they benefit at long range. Venerable without a fist seems a waste. I would drop the AC and keep a Fist.
Quote:

5 man Paladin squad w/ x2 psycannon, x2 halberd, pair of falchions, MC DH
Fine squad (see Draigo comment, above)
Quote:

5 man purifier squad w/ x2 halberd, x2 psycannon, MC DH and razorback w/ psy-bolt ammo
Don't buy a Razorback. Buy a Rhino. Then the Psycannons can fire off the hatch on the move.
Quote:

TROOP

HEAVY SUPPORT

Dreadknight w/ personal teleporter, heavy incinerator and greatsword
Cash this one in on a Draigo. (see above)
Quote:

Dreadknight w/ heavy psycannon and greatsword
no problem. Deep strike him near the skulls. I find the cost of the teleporter way out of line with it's benefits.
Quote:

Questions)

1 should i swap the libby for a grand master to add an additional scoring unit or is this fine as is?

2 are paladins best played as: footslogging, deepstriken w/ assistance of servo skulls or in a land raider or chimera?

thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Grey Knights Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode