[2000 points] Grey Knight Terminators - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
We fly for the Emperor!
 
ThunderHawk's Avatar
ThunderHawk's Flag is: Indonesia
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 201
Reputation: 1
Default [2000 points] Grey Knight Terminators

Hi All,

This is my first attempt on building a GK army. This army is mainly based on terminators, and involve a lot of CC actions. I am going to use this list at a local tourney, so I am hoping this list is competitive enough.

My army list are as follows :

HQ (205 points)

Grand Master (Daemonhammer, Psychotroke Grenades, 2 x Servo Skull)

Troops (1115 points)

Grey Knight Terminator Squad "Invictus" (Psybolt, MC Halberd, 1 x Sword, 4 x Halberd, 2 x Hammer, 1 x Falchion, 2 x Psycannon)
Grey Knight Terminator Squad "Redemptor" (Psybolt, MC Halberd, 1 x Sword, 4 x Halberd, 2 x Hammer, 1 x Brotherhood Banner, 2 x Psycannon)
Grey Knight Strike Squad "Corvus" (Psybolt, 1 x Hammer, 3 x Halberd, 1 x Psycannon)

Fast Attack (410 points)

Stormraven Gunship (TL MM, TL LC)
Stormraven Gunship (TL MM, TL PC)

Heavy Support (270 points)

Dreadnought (2 x TL AC, Psybolt)
Dreadnought (2 x TL AC, Psybolt)

Total points : 2000 points

My planned tactics are as follows :

- The terminator squad "Invictus" will combat squad, and each will use the Stormravens. The grand master will join them.
- The grandmaster will be greatly involved in the fight, and will help the fight become easier by using Psychothroke grenades.
- Squad "Redemptor" will arrive by deep strike, to the areas that are secured with Grand Master's servo skull, to reduce the scatter distance.
- Both Storm Raven will move flat out to engage the enemy. The GM will use Psychic Communion as necessary, to delay or expedite the arrival of Squad "Redemptor".
- After delivering the terminators, the Stormraven will attempt to destroy enemy tanks or enemy MEQ units.
- The strike squad will sit back at the nearest objective.
- Both Dreadnoughts will provide support fire from long range.
- The GM will use Shield of Blade to give counter-attack to the terminators.
- All squads will carry hammer, as an insurance against MC's or tanks/walkers.

Some weakness (that I can think of) :
- This list seriously lacks AT capabilities
- This list will struggle against much focused CC armies, such as BA, Tyranids, or CSM.
- This list lacks armoured units.

Some considerations :
- I don't use Brotherhood banner, because I plan to combat squad the terminators.

A lot of corrections/suggestions/critics will be greatly appreciated!



Army Lists :
Need Advice : 2000 pts GK Army List

Old Army List : 2000 pts GK Army List
Old Army List : 2000 pts SM Vulkan List

Last edited by ThunderHawk; 06-07-11 at 01:19 PM.
ThunderHawk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
 
JelloSea's Avatar
JelloSea's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 690
Reputation: 1
Default

Never force something upon yourself. You dont HAVE to give your guys counter attack. You can if it sounds tactically sound but always reserve the right no change your mind
JelloSea is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
We fly for the Emperor!
 
ThunderHawk's Avatar
ThunderHawk's Flag is: Indonesia
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 201
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JelloSea View Post
Never force something upon yourself. You dont HAVE to give your guys counter attack. You can if it sounds tactically sound but always reserve the right no change your mind
You are right. It depends on the tactical situation and the enemy disposition also. Any thoughts on the army list?



Army Lists :
Need Advice : 2000 pts GK Army List

Old Army List : 2000 pts GK Army List
Old Army List : 2000 pts SM Vulkan List
ThunderHawk is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 02:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Constatine_Valdor's Avatar
Constatine_Valdor's Flag is: Spain
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Spain
Posts: 170
Reputation: 1
Default

The Grand Master is better with Sword for the "3+ Inv. Save" in CC or the Halberd for getting advantage of "Iniciative 7".

If you want a Grand Master with Hammer, choose Mordark and his "Ghost" retinue.

I recommend you eliminating the "big templates" (vindicator, demolisher, plasma people...) in first place as they are going to hurt you a lot and with the few numbers you have in the army, youīre going to suffer a lot if one of them hits you.

Just a question, how many dudes are in the Strike Squad??

Apart from that, good luck!!

The Emperor Protects ME!!

TKE's NTGU Brigade
Constatine_Valdor is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
We fly for the Emperor!
 
ThunderHawk's Avatar
ThunderHawk's Flag is: Indonesia
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 201
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constatine_Valdor View Post
The Grand Master is better with Sword for the "3+ Inv. Save" in CC or the Halberd for getting advantage of "Iniciative 7".

If you want a Grand Master with Hammer, choose Mordark and his "Ghost" retinue.

I recommend you eliminating the "big templates" (vindicator, demolisher, plasma people...) in first place as they are going to hurt you a lot and with the few numbers you have in the army, youīre going to suffer a lot if one of them hits you.

Just a question, how many dudes are in the Strike Squad??

Apart from that, good luck!!
I think I agree with you, so I think I will replace the Daemonhammer with the Halberd. They have the same cost, though.

In my list, I put 5 men (including the Justicar) in my Strike Squad.

What do you think about the competitiveness of my list?

Thanks for the advice!



Army Lists :
Need Advice : 2000 pts GK Army List

Old Army List : 2000 pts GK Army List
Old Army List : 2000 pts SM Vulkan List
ThunderHawk is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 06:06 PM
Member
 
Himkano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 90
Reputation: 1
Default

Since you want redemptor in CC (based on the banner), I would maybe change the commander's halberd to a sword (still going to go first most of the time), both servo skulls, both MC weapons, and a falchion - which will give you enough points to put a teleport homer on each Stormraven. Then you can put your guys exactly where you want them (to support one of the melee squads, to get rear hits on vehicles, contest objectives, etc). The down side is that is that it might make your Stormravens a higher priority target, but it also means less lascannons aimed at your terminators...

Also, While I like the GM, and I know the grenades are cool, you might be able to get more functionality out of a librarian. If the best GM power you can get is counter attack (since you may not be able to make the dreads scoring and nothing will benefit from scout), you may be wasting the points... A Librarian could give your Stormraven a 3+ save for moving flat out, protect your front line from psykers, better vehicle penetration in melee, and a few other things that I think are better than counter attack. (It seems to me that when I played eldar there was some reason you couldn't move flat out and cast psyker power, but I may be thinking of turbo-boosting jet bikes)
Himkano is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-11, 11:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Constatine_Valdor's Avatar
Constatine_Valdor's Flag is: Spain
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Spain
Posts: 170
Reputation: 1
I think your list can be more competitive with some changes:


Librarian with Teleporting Beacon, Warding Staff, Shrouding, Sanctuary, Might of Titan, Quickening --> 220 points

The Librarian is vital for getting things on the right side and psychic defenses. The Warding Staff is expensive but in this list it worths its points as he will be safe and nobody will want "voluntarily" design attacks against him.

Ordo Xenos "Psyker" Inquisitor with 3 Servoskulls, Blind Grenades, Rad Grenades, Psychoke Grenades --> 99 points

A cheaper Grand Master and all its abilities. He goes with the other combat-squad Termies.


10 Terminator Squad: Brotherhood Banner, 7 Halberds, 2 Hammers, 2 Psycannons, Justicar Thawn --> 550 points

This squad will make "Deep Strike" and with the help of the Servoskulls and the beacon of the Librarian you can get them where you want. I think Thawn is VITAL as it let you cast "Hammerhand" and (autocast cause of the banner) "psychic weapons".
If you are able to put the Inquisitor with them, youīll have a nice hard-hitting unit.

The best of this unit is that if Thawn "dies", you have an additional "scoring unit" so you have 4 scoring units in this game. Donīt forget you can "assign the wound" for him so he can die and revive.


10 Terminator Squad: 8 Halberds, 2 Hammers, 2 Psycannons --> 450 points

You "combat-squad" these guys and put them in both Stormravens.


Stormraven with Twin-Linked Lascannon and Twin-Linked Multi-Melta --> 205 points

Stormraven with Twin-Linked Lascannon and Twin-Linked Multi-Melta --> 205 points

Put them in reserve if you donīt get Turn 1 or the enemy will put its firepower on them and "Fortune" donīt save you from a Inmovibilized or worse results.


Dreadnought with 2 x Twin-Linked Autocannon and Psybolt --> 135 points

Dreadnought with 2 x Twin-Linked Autocannon and Psybolt --> 135 points

4 x Strength 8 with re-roll to hit for each Dreadnought gives you the Anti-Tank and the long-range firepower you need and it will give some air to the Stormravens.


The "Nemesis" of this list is all that interfere with psychic powers: "Psychic Hoods", "Eldar Farseers" and "Synaptic Creatures".
Deal with them as well as with the big templates and everything should be OK.

Donīt forget to "Rep +"

The Emperor Protects ME!!

TKE's NTGU Brigade
Constatine_Valdor is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-11, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
We fly for the Emperor!
 
ThunderHawk's Avatar
ThunderHawk's Flag is: Indonesia
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 201
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constatine_Valdor View Post
I think your list can be more competitive with some changes:


Librarian with Teleporting Beacon, Warding Staff, Shrouding, Sanctuary, Might of Titan, Quickening --> 220 points

The Librarian is vital for getting things on the right side and psychic defenses. The Warding Staff is expensive but in this list it worths its points as he will be safe and nobody will want "voluntarily" design attacks against him.

Ordo Xenos "Psyker" Inquisitor with 3 Servoskulls, Blind Grenades, Rad Grenades, Psychoke Grenades --> 99 points

A cheaper Grand Master and all its abilities. He goes with the other combat-squad Termies.


10 Terminator Squad: Brotherhood Banner, 7 Halberds, 2 Hammers, 2 Psycannons, Justicar Thawn --> 550 points

This squad will make "Deep Strike" and with the help of the Servoskulls and the beacon of the Librarian you can get them where you want. I think Thawn is VITAL as it let you cast "Hammerhand" and (autocast cause of the banner) "psychic weapons".
If you are able to put the Inquisitor with them, youīll have a nice hard-hitting unit.

The best of this unit is that if Thawn "dies", you have an additional "scoring unit" so you have 4 scoring units in this game. Donīt forget you can "assign the wound" for him so he can die and revive.


10 Terminator Squad: 8 Halberds, 2 Hammers, 2 Psycannons --> 450 points

You "combat-squad" these guys and put them in both Stormravens.


Stormraven with Twin-Linked Lascannon and Twin-Linked Multi-Melta --> 205 points

Stormraven with Twin-Linked Lascannon and Twin-Linked Multi-Melta --> 205 points

Put them in reserve if you donīt get Turn 1 or the enemy will put its firepower on them and "Fortune" donīt save you from a Inmovibilized or worse results.


Dreadnought with 2 x Twin-Linked Autocannon and Psybolt --> 135 points

Dreadnought with 2 x Twin-Linked Autocannon and Psybolt --> 135 points

4 x Strength 8 with re-roll to hit for each Dreadnought gives you the Anti-Tank and the long-range firepower you need and it will give some air to the Stormravens.


The "Nemesis" of this list is all that interfere with psychic powers: "Psychic Hoods", "Eldar Farseers" and "Synaptic Creatures".
Deal with them as well as with the big templates and everything should be OK.

Donīt forget to "Rep +"
+ rep.

By replacing the GM, I will lose the Psybolt on my Termies, but I think it is good enough for me. Any powers I should consider for the Librarian? Also, in the list you advised, I will lost a strike squad, which I intend to be used to secure the first objective. Any suggestions on that? I think on 2k if you have only 2 troop choices you will struggle on "objective" missions.

Thanks a lot!



Army Lists :
Need Advice : 2000 pts GK Army List

Old Army List : 2000 pts GK Army List
Old Army List : 2000 pts SM Vulkan List

Last edited by ThunderHawk; 06-08-11 at 03:11 AM. Reason: wrong spelling
ThunderHawk is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-11, 10:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Constatine_Valdor's Avatar
Constatine_Valdor's Flag is: Spain
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Spain
Posts: 170
Reputation: 1
Default

I forgot to put the final touch.

Total: 1999 points

22 Miniatures, 4 Vehicles
Scoring: 2 - 4 (+1 for Thawn when he "revives")
Killing Points: 8 - 9

You can combat squad both units of Terminators so you can have 4 scoring units. You have another one thx to Thawn and his "regenerative" abilities for a total of 5 scoring units.
In my case, iīll keep it 3 scoring units (the 10-Terminator Squad with Banner + 2 x 5 Terminator Squad in each Stormraven) + 1 extra for Thawn for a total of 4 scoring units.

I try to keep as much of the original list as possible but some changes was needed to make a better "sinergy" within units.

The powers for the Librarian are the ones i write:

Shrouding: For getting "3+ Cover Save" cause of max. speed.

Sanctuary: For making "dangerous and difficult terrain tests" when the enemy tries to assault.

Might of Titan: +1 Strength and +1D6 for penetrating armour is just too cool for letting it go. Donīt forget to use Hammerhand (S6 + 2D6)

Quickening: Iniciative 10 can useful but itīs secondary since you have halberds but against Slaaneshi Daemon Princes, Daemonettes, Genestealers... can save you the day.
If you want, you can change it for "Breach on the Warp" (the flamer template).


The loss of the Strike Squad is a small sacrifice but it will be a sacrifice to let in the list as it is something really easy to kill.

The Emperor Protects ME!!

TKE's NTGU Brigade
Constatine_Valdor is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-11, 12:08 AM
Senior Member
 
JelloSea's Avatar
JelloSea's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 690
Reputation: 1
Default

By dropping your GM you lose Grand Strategy, arguably the best thing in the codex. Just keep that in mind.
JelloSea is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Grey Knights Army Lists

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome