1750pt Competitive Greywing (Feedback Please) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-11, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Kolonel Grotsnik's Flag is: United Kingdom

1750pt Competitive Greywing (Feedback Please)

After playing with my mech guard Iím now looking to collect a smaller, cheaper and more elite army that plays very differently (and also doesnít require a huge case) and what better force than a Greywing Army.

HQ
385 - Mordrak & 4 Ghost Knights:
Brotherhood banner.
190 - Librarian: Teleport Homer and Warp Rift, Summoning, Quicksilver, Might Of Titan & The Shrouding
(Mordrak deep strikes in on turn 1 allowing me to bring in the terminators on turn 2 on a 3+, plus it allows the possibly of a well placed warp rift strike)

TROOPS
470 10 GK Terminators;
2 Psycannons, 6 Halberds, 2 Daemon Hammers and Psybolt Ammo.
470 10 GK Terminators; 2 Psycannons, 6 Halberds, 2 Daemon Hammers and Psybolt Ammo.
(combat squad these)

HEAVY SUPPORT
235 - Dreadknight:
Heavy Incinerator & Teleporter.
(Decided to go with a Dreadknight as two rifledreads would be shredded by anything not ap2 ( Autocannons and missiles) IĎll give him scout and use that to teleport him across the board to the librarian so he can get the stealth rule for turn 1)

Total Pts: 1750
Total No: 26 (1)
Kill Pts: 7

However because 2 tournaments I attend allow no special characters rule Iíve been considering other options and came up with this listÖ

HQ
195 - Grand Master:
Halberd, Rad Grenades

TROOPS
470 10 GK Terminators;
2 Psycannons, 5 Halberds, 2 Daemon Hammers and Psybolt Ammo. (combat squad)
245 5 GK Terminators; 1 Psycannons, 3 Halberds, 1 Daemon Hammers and Psybolt Ammo.

FAST ATTACK
315 - 10 Interceptors:
2 Psycannons, Psybolt Ammo and master crafted 1 Daemon Hammer

HEAVY SUPPORT
260 - Dreadknight:
Heavy Incinerator, Greatsword & Teleporter.
260 - Dreadknight: Heavy Incinerator, Greatsword & Teleporter.

Total Pts: 1750
Total No: 26 (2)
Kill Pts: 7

I learnt from a game against three teleporting dreadknights that a single Dreadknight will likely be brought down by focused fire so I decided to take 2. I also replaced 5 terminators with an interceptor squad for improved mobility and variety. I was going to give the large terminator squad a brotherhood banner but decided psybolt ammo on the interceptor squad was a much better buy.
I did consider taking an Inquisitor with Psychic Comms to act as an expensive astropath to get the 3+ reserve roll on turn 2 for the rest of the army to deep strike and have him hide in a piece of terrain. But I think I should be alright?

So what are your thoughts on the two lists?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-11, 09:21 AM

Bushido's Flag is: South Africa

Quote:
385 - Mordrak & 4 Ghost Knights: Brotherhood banner.
I think it might be silly to get a brotherhood banner when you have such a small unit of termies since you lose the force weapon on the guy who takes the banner, so in actual fact without the banner on the charge those 4 guys wil be dishing out 12 force weapon attacks, with the banner those same 4 guys will put out 12 force weapon attacks and 4 ordinary attacks. That's why i say drop the banner.

Quote:
190 - Librarian: Teleport Homer and Warp Rift, Summoning, Quicksilver, Might Of Titan & The Shrouding
Im assuming you know that a teleporter homer doesn't stop a unit from scattering if you use the summoning on it. Sadly I feel that the librarian is largely wasted in a grey wing list, summoning is far to risky as you could easily scatter and loose a pricey terminator unit, shrouding is unnecessary since terminators have a 5++ in the open (and they shouldn't be hiding in cover), most models have halberds so quicksilver is redundant. All that leaves is might of titan and warp rift, but I don't think it's worth to invest in a libby when you will be only really using 2 powers.

Be wary of deep striking, there are so many grey knight players out there now since the new codex came out and with servo skulls, warp quake, and coteaz deep striking has become very risky, so im not sure I would build a list around it.

The rest of the list is reasonable, although transport is a problem since deep striking is so risky but in all fairness I also run a grey wing list and I refuse to take transports since it isnt as cool and spamming termies. if you really want to use the summoning invest in some servo skulls at least they minimize the scatter.

"In the morning I will be sober but you will still be ugly"

Also known as lt_sparky
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-11, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Kolonel Grotsnik's Flag is: United Kingdom

What about the 2nd list? Personally I'm considering replacing the interceptors with either 5 paladins with FNP for a hard frontline unit or a vindicare and librarian?

I'd rather not field another squad of terminators as I like some conversion and variety in my army?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-11, 11:19 AM

OrdoMalleus's Flag is: United Kingdom

Cant go much wrong with a Vindicare. He is the best AT unit in the codex and IMO rarely fails to make his points back.

I personally field a similar list but with triple stormravens rather than Interceptors and dreadKnights. As long as you play them well, they surprisingly survivable and put out a lot of fire-power, and solves your transport issue. But hey, personal choice....

I also prefer Pscyostroke grenades over Rad Grenades but it depends I can understand people don't like the random nature of them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Grey Knights Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode