Yet another GK + Inq list, with a twist - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-11, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Bushido's Flag is: South Africa

Default Yet another GK + Inq list, with a twist

HQ
Coteaz
Librarian - 190 (might, shrouding, rift, summoning, quicksliver, teleporter)

Elite
Vindicare assassin

Troops
10 Grey knights - 270 (rhino, 2 psycannons, 1 hammer)
10 Grey knights - 230 (2 psycannons, 1 hammer)
Henchmen - 205 (chimera with HHF, 8 crusaders, 2 death cult)
Henchmen - 205 (chimera with HHF, 5 crusaders, 5 death cult)
henchmen - 42 (3 warriors with melta guns)
henchmen - 42 (3 warriors with melta guns)

Heavy Support
Dreadnought - 135 (2 TL autocannons, psybolt ammunition)
Dreadnought - 135 (2 TL autocannons, psybolt ammunition)

TOTAL - 1704

Well the list is supposed to be 1750, so I have 46 points to spend, would like your input here.

The idea behind the 3 man warrior units is that the libby can bring them right up to armour in his way with the summoning. Before people start lecturing and fighting I want to point out that the teleporter homer on the libby is for deep striking grey knights if they choose do so. Obviously there are only 10 guys in each of the chimera squads so that the libby can ride along with one of them and coteaz with the other.

My original plan was to have another 3 man unit with flamers but that would mean taking up 7 troops choices which is not allowed assuming that coteaz's henchmen take up slots as troops

C&C welcome

"In the morning I will be sober but you will still be ugly"

Also known as lt_sparky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-11, 05:55 AM
Curiouser and Curiouser

NM...I need to read better.

Are you looking for all out competitive, because this is not it. It's an interesting idea, but I'm afraid it likely won't work.

I would say it just does not pack enough punch and you have too many points wrapped up in the libby and in protecting your two HQ choices. For example, you have tons of crusaders protecting your two HQ choices and while crusaders + libby is very fun, you are not taking advantage of Coteaz at all. Besides making warbands troops, I would argue that his ability to shoot at anything deepstriking nearby is invaluable (initiative reroll is also spectacular of course). Another problem is of course that you have no range outside of two dreads and vindicare since your chimeras are filled with CC troops...who of course cannot assault out either.

May I suggest another style of Coteaz play? An all foot list would actually be quite powerful with Coteaz and this list is actually quite close to it. It involves two very large all crusader warbands. One warband has the libby, and the other has Coteaz, then you add techmarines to each with grenades. You get multiple hammerhands per squad along with might of titan, grenades etc on power weapon wielding, 3++, 15 point models. Then you can use the remaining points to have special weapon acolyte squads that will be getting 3++ to 2++ because of shrouding and techmarine buff. This is all supported of course by dreads. It's actually an incredibly destructive list that relies on tons of 3++ and 2++ to get you to your opponent. I know it's quite a bit different from your list above, but it's something different and still incredibly competitive. Let me know if you want me to write one up as an example.

Last edited by Hurricane; 05-09-11 at 06:12 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-11, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

I am pretty interested in seeing the list you are proposing hurricane. Could you provide an example?

Also known as lt_sparky

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-11, 07:59 AM
Curiouser and Curiouser

Here is an example of a list I posted soon after the codex was released.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86391

Here's a new version I made that will make your opponents cry. My version utilizes paladins as the melee shield but perhaps the crusaders in this list will provide more protection with the 3++.

Coteaz - 100
Librarian w/ MoT, shrouding, sanctuary, quicksilver - 170

Vindicare - 145
Techmarine w/ rad and blind grenades - 105
Techmarine w/ rad grenades - 100

Crusaderx12 - 180
Crusaderx12 - 180
Jokaerox2, Psykerx8 w/ chimera - 205

Dreadnought w/ TL autocannonx2 and psybolt - 135

Total: 2000

It's very close to my personal list but I lack the crusaders and instead have one more psyker chimera and a paladin shield instead. I suppose you could take out the shield and just add more psyker bunkers with ven dreads but I prefer having a little something in case my opponent hits my line with any powerful CC units. Split the HQs and techmarines in the crusaders squads for hammerhand and grenade support of course.

In any case, I wouldn't recommend taking this list in friendly matches as the amount of fire it puts out in addition to the potential str6 power weapons at I10 on 3++/15 point bodies is absurd.

And now I go to sleep to check on this thread tomorrow. Let me know if you have any questions. I also acknowledge this isn't the foot list I had initially recommended. I can make a more foot oriented list up later if you like, but this is personally my favorite style of list and it still incorporates more transports as per your first list.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-11, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

I have reworked the list as follows:

HQ
Coteaz
Libby - 180 (MC hammer, shrouding, might, rift, quicksilver)

Elite
VIndicare

Troops
10 Grey knights - 270 (hammer, 2 psycannons, rhino with searchlight)
10 Grey knights - 270 (hammer, 2 psycannons, rhino with searchlight)
Henchmen - 178 (7 crusaders, 3 death cult, 2 melta guns)
Henchmen - 178 (7 crusaders, 3 death cult, 2 melta guns)
Henchmen - 155 (7 crusaders, 5 psykers)

Heavy
Psyrifledread - 135
Psyrifledread - 135

= 1748

Using psykers for their big scary pie plate is nice but I would be hesitant to field more than 1 unit of them since if you get perils the whole unit is removed since they have no invulnerable save.

Also crusaders are awesome for staying power but when the chips are down they aren't that impressive in CC. If 12 crusaders charge a unit of marines AND might of titan is added they will still only get around 6 kills, if they are charged and don't have the extra strength they are looking at a meager 2 kills. For that reason I opted on a replacing a few crusaders with death cultists which are godly in CC

Also known as lt_sparky

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Grey Knights Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode