First Grey Knights Army - 1250 points - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-11, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

capnmoe's Flag is: USA

Default First Grey Knights Army - 1250 points

HQ
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor 67 Points (Runs with Purifiers)
  • Combi-Melta
  • Daemonblade
  • Power Armor
  • 3x Servo Skulls
Elites
5x Grey Knight Purifier Squad 150 Points (In Stormraven)
  • 1x Incinerator
  • 3x Pairs of Nemesis Falchions
  • Justicar with Digital and Master Crafted Daemon Hammer
Troops
5x Grey Knight Terminator Squad 230 Points
  • Psycannon
  • 2x Nemesis Force Halbered
  • Justicar with Master Crafted Daemon Hammer
5x Grey Knight Terminator Squad 230 Points
  • Psycannon
  • 2x Nemesis Force Halbered
  • Justicar with Master Crafted Daemon Hammer
Fast Attack
Stormraven Gunship 245 Points
  • Typhoon Missile Launcher
  • Twin Linked Plasma Cannon
  • 4 Mind Strike Missiles
  • Teleport Homer
Heavy Support
Dreadnought 135 Points
  • Twin Linked Autocannon
  • Missile Launcher
  • Psybolt Ammo
Nemesis DreadKnight 190 Points
  • Gatling Psilencer
  • Nemesis Greatsword
TOTAL 1247

The idea was to keep the HQ choice low point cost so I could spread the points out over the meatier parts of the army. Id move the Stormraven in early and try to deep strike a terminator squad and the NDK near it. If that fails I can use the servo skulls to deepstrike in with minimal scatter. Any thoughts or helpful advice is welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-11, 10:15 AM

I like the Inquisitor as an HQ choice if you're not relying on Grand Strategy.

What I don't like is the Single Storm raven, if you look at what you're going to have on the Table in turn 1, it's a Storm raven and Dreadnought nothing else. Realistically it's not going to survive to make it to your opponent as it's all he has to shoot at.

I've always been a fan of go big or go home, double Stormravens full of termies or No Stormravens. But I would recommend playing it out to see how it goes.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-11, 12:47 PM

Ninja D's Flag is: USA

My only comment other than what Aramoro said about the Stormravens would be to consider not giving your Justicars the only daemonhammer in their units. One bad Psychic Test for Hammerhand (or Cleansing Flame) and *poof*, there goes your Daemonhammer without your choice in the matter.

Also, that is a nasty HQ for cheap I gotta say. I seriously want to be able to equip GMs with the Daemonblade (though I understand why game balance wouldn't hold up to it).

Ninja D

Last edited by Ninja D; 04-12-11 at 12:48 PM. Reason: spelling errors

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-11, 01:55 PM

hhickman's Flag is: USA

First off, I love putting a daemonblade in a unit of purifiers. Nice and ironic. =D

As for the list, couple of things.
-For the dreadnought, drop the missile, get another TL Auto. Same str with psy ammo, so no loss on vehicles, two more shots at twice the str of the frags which is probably what you'll end up getting against non-hordes.

-I don't like the idea of purifiers in a storm raven. If you want mobile firepower, go for interceptors with psybolt. Jump around dumping out s5 storm bolts like crazy, staying out of melee range or take a teleporter dreadknight with heavy incinerator and heavy psycannon, jumping around dropping templates, charging into vehicles if you need some anti-tank (6 str10 attacks, +2d6)

-For cheap HQs, i think a xenos inquisitor with a conversion beamer would work just as well. Gives you some high powered templates to drop for about 70 points.

Let me know what you think

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-11, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

I like the feedback guys keep it comming. I understand that the Stormraven is likely to see some heavy fire in the beginning due to lack of models on the board. How about I drop the Great Sword from the NDK and the Digital and Master Crafted weapons on the units and pick up a Razorback with Psybolt Ammo to carry the Purifiers. Then I could move the Stormraven with Termies in from reserves to keep it from getting focused fired right away. Or should I just keep it on the board with the Dreadnought and Razorback? Ninja D solid observation on the Daemon Hammers. I will definitely move them from the justicars. Hhickman, I originally had the Dreadnought with 2 TL AC's but slowly realized I'm way to lazy and cheap to pay for extra parts and spend the time converting a 2nd dread arm. Not to say that I don't see the benefits of using another TL AC i just don't think its for me unless anyone knows a good way to convert 2 TL AC's from the kit that comes with a standard dread. Seriously though, if anyone knows how to do this please hook me up with the secret.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-11, 06:53 PM

hhickman's Flag is: USA

Dreadnought TLACs off forgeworld are around 12 USD..... Converting you might be able to (if you have a lascannon or autocannon from an IG or predator sprue) file/cut the missiles off the missile launcher so that its flat, then glue the barrels from the auto/lascannons onto it. Not sure how well that would hold up though, you'd need something to hold the barrels in the right spot while they dry and afterwards so they are more stable. Just an idea, if you try it and it works let me know, would probably save me some money.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-11, 12:53 AM

Id take another NDK with personal teleporter instead of the stormraven and a rhino for the purifiers. That way I'd start off the table with 1 NDK, 1 Dreadnought and trying to flat out the rhino and drop smoke bombs. Second turn, get the deep strike NDK (the one w/o teleporter) and the termies.

You will be assaulting left and right, most players end up focusing fire on your big guys (NDK) while you have the rest of your army to pick off things.

I like it, I think I'll aim for something like this when I get more models.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-11, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

My Revised List: Added the Razorback to have more on the board in turn 1. Changed the passengers of the Stormraven to one of my Termie units and put the Purifiers and Inquisitor in the Razorback. Idea is still the same, zoom the Stormraven in early and drop the NDK and remaining Termie unit near it. Then while the enemy is occupied with them run the Razorback and Purifiers in to clean up the mess.

HQ
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor – 57 Points (Run with Purifiers.)
Daemonblade
Power Armor
3x Servo Skulls

Elites
5x Grey Knight Purifier Squad – 140 Points
1x Incinerator
3x Pairs of Nemesis Falchions
Daemon Hammer

Razorback – 80 Points
Twin Linked Lascannon

Troops
5x Grey Knight Terminator Squad – 225 Points (Stormraven)
Psycannon
3x Nemesis Force Halbered
Daemon Hammer

5x Grey Knight Terminator Squad – 225 Points
Psycannon
3x Nemesis Force Halbered
Daemon Hammer

Fast Attack
Stormraven Gunship – 220 Points
Twin Linked Multimelta
Twin Linked Plasma Cannon
4 Mind Strike Missiles
Teleport Homer

Heavy Support
Dreadnought – 135 Points
Twin Linked Autocannon
Missile Launcher
Psybolt Ammo

Nemesis DreadKnight – 165 Points
Gatling Psilencer

TOTAL – 1247
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-11, 04:55 AM

Cerberus's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnmoe View Post
Razorback 80 Points
Twin Linked Lascannon
For 85pts you can take a TL Assault cannon Razorback with psybolts. Will pop armour better, and kill infantry way better.

Also how about an Inquisitor like this. It should allow you to get your reserves on when you need them at the expense of the servo-skulls. Plus you get a weapon that will always ignore armour (force sword).

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor - 55 points
Level 1 Psyker
Psychic communion

These changes make your total 1250 I think. Just some thoughts, have a good one.

Cerberus

The Space Marine Commander said, "We fight with honor, and ferocious precision."
To which the Imperial Guard Commander replied, "We do it with Math."

6th Edition Record
Salamanders: W 0 - L 0 - D 0
Guard: W 0 - L 0 - D 0
GK Inquisition: W 0 - L 0 - D 0
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-11, 01:13 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

I suggest the opposite. Drop the expensive turret on the Razorback for a STR 6 heavy bolter. It'll do the job fairly well. Use the points for a PsiCannon on the DreadKnight. Though I realize what you're doing, you could up your survivability a lot with a Grand master. Allowing the Rhino to Scout and Smoke turn one ups the ability to live!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Grey Knights Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode