Adeptus Custodes - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-08, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Adeptus Custodes

Hi, I'm sorta new to the forums, and to the game itself, so i was thinking about what would be a good army to start off with.

I've pretty much decided about doing a Grey Knight force, but after reading about some of the events of the Heresy, I've decided to do a force of Adeptus Custodes. However, I am using the rules for Grey Knights, and am thinking about making rules for Constantine Valdor, if not, just to use the rules for Stern, minus the M'Kachen rule.

My buds and I are thinking of making an entire table for the siege of Emperors Palace, mainly because my friend (who got me into the game) recently bought the Forge World fortress walls, and loads of ruined buildings.

All in all, there are about 12 of us, and so we were thinking about Apolcalypse games, and this would give me some perfect excuse to use some of the Allies rules.

So, my army wish list stands at (those not currently got are marked in italics)

HQ's
Constantine Valdor (GM/Stern)
-9 Terminators in Bodyguard, Incinerator

Brother Captain
-9 Terminators in Bodyguard, Incinerator

Elites
10 Terminators, Brother Captain, Psycannon

10 Terminators, Brother Captain, Psycannon

6 Terminators,
, 4 Terminators, Incinerator, Brother Captain with Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield

Troops
10 Custodes, Justicar, 2 Incinerators
10 Custodes, Justicar, 2 Psycannons

Fast Attack
n/a - thinking of putting in some Rhino or Psycannon / Incinerator / Melta / Lascannon armed Razorbacks in here to provide some long range, anti-tank weaponry.

Heavy Support
10 Custodes, Justicar, 4 Incinerators

EDIT Jacobite: Please do not ask for Copyrighted Material, this viloates GW's IP and is against forum rules.

Notes -

Strengths -

Hand-to-Hand
These are absolute beasts - I have seen Grey Knights in combat before, and seeing them just tear through daemons, Eldar (even Harlequins), Genestealers, and Necron Pariahs (before being blown apart by a Monolith).

This is the main reason I have chosen, as the Imperial Fist's my friend has has only got 4 Terminator Squads (incuding his Chapter Master and Command Squad) to combat any enemy in his 6 thousand or so points of army, so naturally, any enemy facing him fielding a squadron of three Warhounds 2 Baneblades and a Shadowsword, like his regular Apocalypse opponent will see his Terminators wiped out by MegaBolter and Battlecannon fire. Overkill, but then the Chaos Terminators and daemons have a free rain, once they get in range, due to his favourability on overloaded heavy Weapons, and special weapons in many small squads.
Weaknesses
The main weakness of this army is its lack of Anti-tank weaponry. However, this is more than covered by Imperial Fists, some Blood Angels Land Raiders and Dreadnoughts, and a few Melta-gun armed White Scars (hence, you can see why I decided to collect something in the same league).
---------------------

Well that's it, folks, and I'd like you to rate / hate / ask for a date. Also, could there be some feedback on where I could improve, making it a tournament viable army (1500pts), without resorting Inquisitors, Storm Troopers, Deathwatch, Attached Marines, Attached Imperial Guard, or Attached Sororitas. Basically, solid, beardy, Grey Knights Army.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

Last edited by Jacobite; 03-28-08 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Please do not ask for Copyrighted Material, this viloates GW's IP and is against forum rules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-08, 05:00 PM

Are custodes point costs even listed in any codex? If they are similar to grey knights there is no way you can have that many models. Be something like 3k points (although you did mention apocalypse.

Also.. GW doesn't like linking point costs for individual units copyright and all.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-08, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Vaz

No, points costs aren't listed anywhere, due to them being the equivalent of a Space marine to a human to a Space Marine (i.e. if a Space Marine was Human, the Companions are considered Space marines), so would be completely overpowered, like fielding Abaddon in a 500 points match (I know enough to know that won't be legal, but you get the idea).

I know I cannot use that many, and you obviously did not read what I had put, as I said that I will use that for apocalypse, but what would be the best tournament legal, 1500 point Grey Knight only setup?

Cheers for your input though. I'm just trying now to convert a model to look like Valdor, adding 2 Bolters onto a scythe like Nemesis Force Weapon. Lastly, I am going to try and attach a trimmed down heavy Bolter Ammunition belt into his weapon.

I'll try and post a picture, but the camera on the lap top is broken.

Here's the skinny on it -

Brother Captain from the Terminator Squad, his arm cut off at the shoulder, and repositioned back, elbow left where it is, the halberd pinned and glued in position. I've cut the head off the blade, and pinned to a plastic axe blade from a spare chaos warrior sprue a friend had lying around. This I pinned to the halberd staff, so I now have a scythe axe. Using a bit of literature I have lying around, I have found that he used an axe during the Age of Apostasy, so that he could talk to the Adeptus Sororitas, but the Companions also used a lance like weapon during the Teleports onto Horus's Flagship. This is where the detail for the Nemesis Weapons came in, as shown on artwork (on the CCG) and old style Grey Knight Weaponry.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-08, 06:54 PM

Dames's Flag is: Scotland

Looks like its going to be impressive
but note
Grey knights aren't that great in combat( my lone wolve guard took out 1 and a half squads by himself) its only the terminators which are mint( I can see you have lots of them)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-08, 07:08 PM

I think Vaz was saying that he will custom design his custodes force, but use the values from the DH codex. I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I think you are screwed in any 1v1 because of absoutely no anti-armor, but for apocalypse and what you and your friends are trying to do I think its awesome! Goodluck and post some pics soon!

Alias

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-08, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Vaz

Yes, that's completely correct, Alias. I hope to find the girlfriends camera lying around, that's if she hasn't left taken it when she went away with the cadets. *Goes to look in the new CameraHunter codex for CameraHunting tips and equipment*

Quote:

Last edited by Vaz; 03-28-08 at 07:17 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-08, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
No, points costs aren't listed anywhere, due to them being the equivalent of a Space marine to a human to a Space Marine (i.e. if a Space Marine was Human, the Companions are considered Space marines), so would be completely overpowered, like fielding Abaddon in a 500 points match (I know enough to know that won't be legal, but you get the idea)

Ah ok. You might want to just use Grey Knights point costs/stats then and color them Adeptes Custodes. Probably be the best option I think. Obviously, not as much Fluff as you want, but it'd be nice & legal to play anywhere.

EDIT: I'm a retard, that's exactly what you are doing. I'd love to see pictures of your apocalypse battle, be very very very cool.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-08, 01:12 AM

Respectfully, I would suggest that since you are using Apocalypse rules, you strip the PAGKs of Psycannons and replace them with Inquisitors (or an appropriate equivalent) wielding Psycannons. They cost the same but free up slots in the Custodes regiments that could be filled with more S6 attacks, and even better you can add one to each squad as an independent character. To pay for this, honestly, drop a Purgation Squad or two--these are hands down the most overpriced units for performance that GKs can field. And mind you, I think that they can do quite well. If you want a burner force, I suggest looking to another Inquisition army: the Sisters of Battle Retributor and Dominion squads. Similar performance, but cost around half of what you'll pay here. And they get Rhinos. And they can be fitted with some high quality anti-armor choices.

Also: Land Raiders. As many as you can. That should handily take care of most or all your anti-armor needs. Once again, I recommend stripping out the Purgation Squads to make the point room for them.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-08, 11:59 AM
Haraldrr's Flag is: England

There's a camerahunter codex???????????? wow! i want it! lol
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-08, 12:25 PM

Wilder's Flag is: USA

Sounds like an interesting map to play.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Grey Knights Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode