1850 GK and SOB. This should be fun - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-09, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Gubnutz's Flag is: USA

Default 1850 GK and SOB. This should be fun

OK. Looking to get into the Inquisition. Started with a large footsloggin load of Sisters then got a great deal on some GK. I then got 3 Land Raider Crusaders and have recently entered into trades for some SOB Rhino Transports. All that came together to form the following list. I think that it has potential to be a solid list. I have sisters for cheaper troop options, some heavy flamers and the Sister's bolters to deal with hordes. Meltas on the Sister squads, Meltas on the LRC and melta Bombs to help with AT. Plus it will look cool(IMO) on the field. Brothers of the GK and Sisters taking it to the enemy. Also has the benefits of a Mechanized list as this seems to be the way to go in the new edition. I love tanks so that works for me.

HQ
Grandmaster NFW SB(not sure on extra stuff with this guy but I get my dex next week so I will know what to do maybe)
GKT retinue 5 Termies

Troops
SOB Squad
7 Sisters with Bolters
Melta sister
HFlamer Sister
VSS with BoSL Bolter
Rhino Smoke Extra Armor

SOB Squad
7 Sisters with Bolters
Melta sister
HFlamer Sister
VSS with BoSL Bolter
Rhino Smoke Extra Armor

GK squad
4 NFW SB
2 Incenrator
Justicar with Melta Bombs

GK Squad
7 NFW SB
Justicar Melta Bombs

Heavy
LRC Smoke GM and GKT ride this one

LRC Smoke 1 squad of the GK ride here not sure which is best.

Leaves a few points to add to the GM gear. I figure this gives me Horde suppression in the form of the dual heavy Flamers, some AT from the Melta Bombs, LRC meltas, sister Meltas. Plenty of dakka and 2 huge tanks plus 2 small tanks. It does leave a small GK squad on foot but they can grab objectives back at home if needed. Suggestions on better spending points is welcome. I actually have 3 of the LRC but was not sure if I wanted to go with all 3 or not.

I could always drop the GM to a BC as well and this would allow me some points to add things but I am not sure what I would add. I would love to have a squad of 15 sisters with flamer heavy flamer jumping out of the LRC and taking care of business, but that leaves the PAGK on foot and taking it from down field. Suggestions are welcome as I am as green as they come to Sisters/GK and the new edition.

Gub

Oderint Dum Metuant

Let them hate as long as they fear.

http://gubnutz.livejournal.com/ Check out my Live Journal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-09, 08:08 PM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

My advice, to solve you're problem of your PAGKs being on foot, (as you don't have the DH codex yet, you might not know this) make them into teleport attack GK. I means they become FA but they can Deep Strike. Other than that, good, solid list. Well done!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-09, 08:55 PM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

Great list - should be quite competitive even if the Faith Points are low, but not much you can do about that.

Having the GM/Retinue and the PAGK's with the Incinerators in the LRC's is the way to go. I'd sugggest leaving the GM (or BC) standard and get an Incinerator into the Retinue also.

You could DS the other GK Squad but leaving them vanilla is fine for footslogging...just make use of cover etc.

I use DH/WH quite often and another great WH Squad to take is Seraphims with Dual Hand Flamers (and BoSL of course), adds a great hard-hitting fast unit to a list.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-09, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I think that the Incinerator on the termie is a good idea as well. Might look into that. How about the number of termies, good number? They are pricey but they seem to be so good it is hard not to take them. Plus I love the way they look.

As for the Seraphim I would love to get my 8 lady squad in there but the points go so fast in these lists. Those GK are costy.

I was trying to keep them as troops if possible. Seems that the troops are needed for the taking of points etc. Like i said though, new to the list so any help is appreciated. I thought that the Sisters in rhinos offest the fact that the PAGK were so pricey.

I think if I went to 2000 I would squeeze the seraphim in there for sure. I guess I could trim the current squads some to get a smaller seraphim squad, suggestions/

Gub

Oderint Dum Metuant

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-09, 10:28 PM
HL-C's Flag is: Afghanistan

Good list, put the PAGK squad with the incinerators in the second LR otherwise you are wasting them. Dont make the grey knights FA then you will have very little troop choices. If you want to know what to give the GM try a psychic hood or an icon of the just.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-09, 12:36 AM

[quote=Gubnutz;537108]
Quote:
Thanks. I think that the Incinerator on the termie is a good idea as well. Might look into that. How about the number of termies, good number? They are pricey but they seem to be so good it is hard not to take them. Plus I love the way they look.
A total of 6 GKT is the right number imo...anymore and the squad is a bit unwieldly and too hard to get them in cover

Quote:
As for the Seraphim I would love to get my 8 lady squad in there but the points go so fast in these lists. Those GK are costy.
I agree...I really only mentioned them because they're a great addition to a DH LIST, but I would leave them until 2K+ like you say.

Quote:
I think if I went to 2000 I would squeeze the seraphim in there for sure. I guess I could trim the current squads some to get a smaller seraphim squad, suggestions/
I think that taking anything less than 8-strong is ineffective, because been only T3 S3 they don't seem to hang around long enough unless in larger numbers, so I'd save them for 2K+.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-09, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks HOBO. I feel that the 8 lady squad is the best bet as well. This is based a lot on theory machine and reading loads of posts here and on some other PA forums. If and when i hit 2K with this idea then they will make an appearance for sure.

Also I have tweaked the list a bit and using the Psychic Hood on the GM and grabbing the incinerator on the termie plus some other stuff in the squads. It leaves me about 51 points to spend. What to do with them? I can buff up the LRC PAGK squad to give it more NFW/SB love. I can get 2 more and make the squad 9 total. I have the space in the LRC so I think it works. Are there better options for the 51 points in your opinion?

New list looks like this
GM NFW/SB Psychic Hood
5 GKT retinue 1 with Incinerator 410

Troops
SOB Squad
7 sisters with bolters
Melta Sister, Heavy Flamer Sister
VSS Bolter BOSL
Rhino Smoke Extra Armor 209

SOB Squad
7 sisters with bolters
Melta Sister, Heavy Flamer Sister
VSS Bolter BOSL
Rhino Smoke Extra Armor 209

GK Squad this is the tweaked squad with the extra GKs and will ride the LRC
6 NFW and SB
2 Incinerator
Justicar with Melta Bombs 275

GK Squad
7 NFW and SB
Justicar Meltas 230

Heavy Support
Land Raider Crusader Smoke 258

Land Raider Crusader Smoke 258

total comes to 1849.

other options for the points would be to add 2 Psycannons to the foot sloggin unit that would allow them to sit back and have some 36inch range dakka to throw down field. I could make them smaller and boost the squad in the LRC up as well. I have the models for 4 Psycannons and 2 Incinerators. So could make it happen.

LMK what you think about the changes.

Gub

Oderint Dum Metuant

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-09, 01:57 AM

I've actually found that 8 is the ideal number for GK Squads with zero SW's, so 7 & J/car. If there's a few points spare in any of my lists I put Targeters and Frags on my J/car as well as MB's...been able to measure 24" for the SB's and not wasting shots can be a Godsend sometimes. You can bump them up to 10 Men if the points are there to spend.

With Psycannons though I find that static mini-purgation Squads (5 Men 2 Psycannons) are the ideal number, and use them as a firebase...or put them in footslogging GKT Squads because they can use them to full effect, unlike the GK's.

Where to spend the points - more GK would take first priority, otherwise the IotJ helps keep the Hero alive longer.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-09, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

I figured that the static firebase approach would be nice. I actually had 1 point so I tossed a targeter on the Justicar that leads the no Specieal weapon squad. I appreicite the tip, that makes the stand back squad evne better IMO.

As for numbers would you drop the PAGK squad that has incinerators down to 8 total? That frees up 25 points IOTJ points or perhaps a Power for the GM. Thanks again for the tips and tricks. Dropped you some rep points for it, been away for some time so rep is new to me but I figured that was a solid reason to drop some rep love.

Gub

Oderint Dum Metuant

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Grey Knights Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode