'Ard Boyz Pure GK list - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-09, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

HighMarshalIain's Flag is: USA

Default 'Ard Boyz Pure GK list

So all this talk has gotten me thinking, I have been checking the boards daily for Black Templar news (Main Army) and Daemonhunter news (secondary army). Everyone getting ready for 'Ard Boyz is in the other forum, I did a search and no one is playing Daemonhunters. Well I thought I might be different and come up with lists for 3 armys for 'Ard Boys and get feedback for them. This is my Daemonhunters list, it seems limited but it's based around what I own, being a poor recent college graduate I haven't had much money to put into buying things recently. The only things on this list that I do not own are 10 GK Termies, 1 Rhino, and one Landraider.

I'd appreciate any feedback about my list, please if you think it needs improving then please tell me what you think I need or should have. I thank you all in advance for whatever help I recieve.

~HighMarshalIain

HQ Grey Knight Grand Master 510
Destroy Daemon
Icon of the Just
Psychic Hood
Grimore of True Names
Grey Knight Terminator Retinue
Holocaust
Daemonhammer
Incinerator

Elites Inquisitor 22
Bolt Pistol
Close Combat Weapon

Grey Knight Terminators 525
Incinerator x 2

Vindicare Assassin 110

Troops Grey Knight Squad x 10 345
Incinerator
Psycannon
Psychic Hood
Rhino
Extra Armor
Teleport Homer

Grey Knight Squad x 10 335
Incinerator
Psycannon
Psychic Hood
Rhino
Extra Armor

Heavy Land Raider Crusader 270
Hunter Killer Missle

Land Raider 270
Extra Armor
Hunter Killer Missle

Total 2497
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-09, 05:13 AM
Death Before Dishonour

WarlordKaptainGrishnak's Flag is: Australia

i don't know much about the knights but i have heard they are quite expensive points-wise and it seems you have roughly 35 models for about 2,500 pts

knowing nothing about knights i couldn't say anything about your army but it look solid which is good

what are you focusing on with the direction of your army?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-09, 02:46 PM

Concrete Hero's Flag is: Wales

First things first.

The Daemonhunters Codex still uses the dedicated transport rules, Grey Knights can't ride in Rhino's from that Codex.

If you inducted guard you could ride in their Chimera's.

This is extremely low model count even for GK, you've added 1000pts to the force I usually play yet only have a handful more troops. Two Squads of 10 GK will not cut it in any objective type game, you'll be swamped and overrun with ease.

In my opinion, you need more land raiders. Godhammer Pattern Landraiders at that. At this point bracket you should definitely be rolling with three. Drop the second squad of GK Termies andpick up a third squad of Grey Knights, mount them all in rhino's.

I think its a waste having both an Incinerator and a Psycannon in the same squad. Your conflicting interests of ranges. Stay far away and motionless (to best use the Psycannon) and your denying the Incinerator. Vice Versa for the PC too. I'd take one of each or at most two of the same

It's not easy to use the Knights I wouldn't recommend them for any one who's looking to come out on top

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-09, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

HighMarshalIain's Flag is: USA

Alright thank you Concrete Hero, with your ideas I have updated my list. I think it will hold objectives better.

HQ
Grand Master 510
Destroy Daemon
Icon of the Just
Psychic Hood
Grimore of True Names
Grey Knight Terminator Retinue x5
Holocaust
Daemonhammer
Incinerator

Elites
Inquisitor 22
Bolt Pistol
Close Combat Weapon

Vindicare Assassian 110

Troops
Grey Knight Squad x10 335
Psychic Hood
Artificer Armour
Incinerators x2

Grey Knight Squad x10 365
Psychic Hood
Artificer Armour
Psycannons x2

Grey Knight Squad x10 335
Psychic Hood
Artificer Armour
Incinerators x2

Grey Knight Squad x10 365
Psychic Hood
Artificer Armour
Psycannons x2

Heavy
Land Raider Crusader 270
Hunter Killer Missle

Land Raider 270
Hunter Killer Missle
Extra Armor
Total: 2585

How can I cut out some points? What do you guys think it needs and what it could do without?

Thanks,

~HighMarshalIain
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-09, 01:21 AM

Concrete Hero's Flag is: Wales

Looking better *E-thmbs up*

Dropping Arti-Armour on your Justicars will free up some points dude , I wouldn't say it was worth it man.

You might want to read the Special rules from the Aegis armour and the rules for Daemonhunter Psychic hoods carefully. My Codex is at a friends house (*rage!*), so I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty certain if you take a Hood on your Grandmaster you can use his LD for trying to resist any psychic attack. Though I'm not completely sure. If I'm right you can drop them from the squads too

I'd heartily recommend Melta bombs and Frag grenades on the Grey Knights squads!

The Hunter Killer missiles aren't essential, they could go.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-09, 11:31 PM

get rid of all but the GM's Psychic hood, the only point to have more then one is if your worried he'll die or something. Psychic hood in our codex allows you to challenge every psychic power an oppenent uses, no Line of sight, no distance check, you can even use it while in melee or a vehicle. You can only challenge it once, and you can't use aegis as well for the same ability, however the hood is still useful because it allows you to challenge psychic powers that arent affecting your grey knights directly where as the aegis does not, and the aegis wont help your vehicles, so at 2500 pts include one for sure.

i would reccomend you also drop a lot of the upgrades like concrete hero said, but take that into your GM too. Sure he's cool, but he has gobs and gobs of stuff you wont use in 9 out of 10 games unless you suspect a large daemon showing. In particular dont give him a daemonhammer, its pricey you just got rid of your GM level force weapon, which still kills any model out right because it takes away their wounds it doesnt cause instant death rule, so eternal hero characters dont have a defence to it.

the GM is awsome at assault, and wasted on ranged. You also cant give him destory daemon and holocaust, the codex says he can have one psychic power only.

i would strip him down, give him a psychic hood, maybe master craft his weapon if u want(can be helpful to make sure those hits land on other characters so you force weapon them down), hammer head is my favorite psychic because the army has good horde control with its default Storm bolters and it works in termie armor. Icon of the just is ok if you need to fill some points and u dont have more models to field, but i dont usually face any situations where a one better invulnerable save on him would have won the day.

i would listen to concrete hero too and take 3 land raiders, godhammer (normal) pattern, not crusaders. Crusaders are decent in theory, but again you already have mad bolter fire, what you dont have is good ranged armor busting. Alternativly you can take dreadnoughts if you feel confident you can get those Termies into melee without the assault vehicles, and i would probably take dreads with Lasscannons and missile launchers. Again you despritly need a ranged precense out of those heavy support choices, not taking one or filling it with horde control junk is gonna hurt you in nearly every game. (pro tip: use those 14 armor LR's as bunkers for your troops, dont disembark until you need to if there is ANY chance your troops will come under fire. You dont have many of them..and the shrouding is some where between garbage and poop, tank shock + incinerator = awsome as well)

good luck

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Grey Knights Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode