1500 Competitive GK's - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-09, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

timsmith's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default 1500 Competitive GK's

Ok so i just wanted to show you my GK list, it has been performing very well and thought i'd share it with you. So here goes:

HQ:
Grand Master 145

Retinue 3 terminators 151
Incinerator
Troops

GK's 236
7 + Justicar
- Incinerator

GK's
6+ Justicar-frag 211
- Incinerator

Heavy Suport
Landraider X 2 500

LRC with smoke
-HQ ride in this 258

Ok so i know it has a glaring weakness in that it only has 2 troops and there not even full strength, But this list has alot going for it. Kill point mission's are very favourable due to the low number i.e 7 and 3 of those are LR's. Any army that isnt ready for 3 LR's will struggle big time. Just keep moving and firing.

Obviousally the 2 squads ride in the 2 normal LR's and the Hq in the LRC. Basic plans are to target armour with the 2 LR's and infantry and MC's with the LRC.PoMS is incredably useful been able to target armour and infantry with the LR's.

To use this army well you have to pick your targets carefully and prioritise the threats. Keep the units embarked for as long as possible and the make your move in the last couple of turns for objectives

Ok Comments and suggestions welcome.

Last edited by timsmith; 05-12-09 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-09, 02:25 PM
Grey Knight Converter

asianavatar's Flag is: Canada

How would you deal with mobile lists that can easily get around your 6 units. I don't think you have enough units to contest enough objectives let alone hold them. Low kill point armies are great, but that also means they get wiped out easier to. Any army that has a decent amount of anti infantry will ruin this army by turn two or 3. You might win if the opponent's army is made up of tanks, but there are many things that aren't tanks that can take down LR's.

I used to roll the dice, Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes

Quote:
I'm afraid there's no authoritative source for thinking you're an asshole
Aramoro
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-09, 05:35 PM

FuzzyRabbit's Flag is: USA

The glaring weekness in your list is that once a landraider is down, your formation would break down and you would be forced to engage on your opponents turns. All of the lists that I have played against have enough powerfist and meltas to make landraiders into swiss cheese by turn 3. Once a LR is destroyed a smart opponent would then use all their infantry to shoot at the squad and destroy it before they can even move. I would suggest playing against a SM list with a melta and power fist in every squad and see how your LR hold up as a test for this list.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-09, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

timsmith's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyRabbit View Post
The glaring weekness in your list is that once a landraider is down, your formation would break down and you would be forced to engage on your opponents turns. All of the lists that I have played against have enough powerfist and meltas to make landraiders into swiss cheese by turn 3. Once a LR is destroyed a smart opponent would then use all their infantry to shoot at the squad and destroy it before they can even move. I would suggest playing against a SM list with a melta and power fist in every squad and see how your LR hold up as a test for this list.
Ive played against power fist many a time and a landraider will walk away every time! move 12" fire a weapon now you hit on 6's then 6's again and cant destroy it? melta's are always a bit tricky but i find you just engage them on your own terms and try and stop them getting within 6".

mobile units arnt to much of a problem and aslong as you target the things that will really hurt you i.e. vindi's, MC ect.. then you will def have at least 1 left at the end. Well i always have. The key is to preserve your troops as long as possible and use the GM and termi's to crash into there lines and take out elite units such as PM's or Zerkers.

Its ALWAYS gunna be a struggle to play and win with GK's but it is possible. Sometimes they will destroy a couple of landraiders but ce-la-ve. Its yet to happen to me yet but im sure it will. Ill keep you updated with games and any changes i make.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-09, 02:57 PM

Concrete Hero's Flag is: Wales

With a list like this smoke launchers are you're friend, as is extra armour. And for 8 points to add both to each landraider, I can't see a good reason not too. With the machine spirit that means you can always move and fire one weapon, ad splitting targets when your stationary is what you need with so few units.

I'd ditch the Crusader, too much of a one trick pony. The Godhammer Landraider gives you another 24" of engagement range (which helps when staying away from melta weapons and lances). It isn't that amazing at killing infantry and if anything is only going to ensure you're Terminators and commander obliterate anything they assault, leaving them in the cold open afterwards. I feel the crusaders shape limits what it can really pour its shots into. **

For 1500 I would suggest leaving the Terminators at home and bringing another 6 man GK squad (5 + Justicar is my preference), but thats me.

Losing a Landraider in this list will hurt, as it does revolve around them. I understand the reasoning your using but a board isn't as big as everyone thinks, moving away is a lot of the time, harder than most people think.

As a side note, with GK you might want to consider mounting the lascannons on the front two slots rather than the rear. It gives you a couple of extra inches and a better firing arc on your front. Your squads are small enough you can disembark just out of one of the side doors without the extended front space. Handy for making a backdoor escape too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Grey Knights Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode