2k: Thousand Sons Counts As - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-14, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Default 2k: Thousand Sons Counts As

So crazy, it just might work!

So what I was going with this one was something a little b it different. I have seen people created armies of Thousand Sons, pre-Heresy, by using the rules for Grey Knights, because you get the most Psykers into the equation. I considered that, and liked the idea, but I also rather liked the idea of finding better alternatives to the Rubricae, also. A mixture of GOOD units, strong psykers, and better models to play the Rubric marines.

And then... Legion of the Damned formations. Woot!

Primary Detachment: Legion of the Damned

'Rubric Marine Squad' - 250 pts
8+1 Legionaries
Missile Launcher w/ Flakk
Sgt w/ Boltgun/BP

8+1 Legionaries
Sgt w/ Boltgun/BP

8+1 Legionaries
Sgt w/ Boltgun/BP

Allied Detachment: Grey Knights

Librarian - 235
Lv 3, Nem Ward Stave

GK Terminator Squad - 470
9+1, Psyammo, Psycannon x2, Hammer x2, Halberd x4, Sword x4

Dreadknight - 260
PT, Greatsword, Fist, Incinerator

Inquisitorial Detachment

OM Inquisitor - 119
Lv 1, Term Armor, Psycannon/Hammer, Servo Skulls x3

OM Inquisitor - 119
Lv 1, Term Armor, Psycannon/Hammer, Servo Skulls x3

Henchmen Squad - 45
Psyker x3, Crusader x1

Total - 1998

So there we go. Basic premise, in fluff and tactics both: Master Sorcerer/Chief Librarian commands the force (though he is NOT the warlord, sadly), and he's in a unit with his three Acolytes (psykers) and a combat familiar (Crusader). Crusader tanks and the Librarian uses Divination Rolls, and can even add a warp charge to the Psychic Barrage. The two Inquisitors act as both fire support and Divination rolls for two squads of 'Rubrics' (Not sure if they can join the squad or not, even if they're just nearby in their armor). A squad of Terminators that can score as the more 'elite' Sons that didn't fall to the Rubric. a Dreadknight kind of like a Relic Contemptor from the old days or some such.

One of the three Legion Sergeants are the Warlord, since that allows them to score. Lots of Servo Skulls to help deep strike them in useful locations.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-14, 05:12 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

I don't have the codices or expansions you reference here, so I might be way off but I would expect that you still need an HQ from your primary detachment.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-14, 11:58 AM
Shadow's Fury's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
I would expect that you still need an HQ from your primary detachment.
Legion of the damned minidex does not have a HQ choice. One of the Sgts becomes the warlord and can roll on a separate warlord table.

A very interesting list indeed! Love the idea!

However, I'm sure it states that LOTD cannot be joined by independent characters. They are battle bros however so you'll be fine casting divination on them. I'd be happier if the inquisitors had a little retinue to make up for that thought.
What exactly are the terminators doing? Are they deepstriking? Holding the back field? Doing a rain dance with a chicken on their head?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-14, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, after reading 'Aid Unlooked For', the Inquisitors can't join the squads. I may rethink them then. Save some points and drop them down to Power Armor, and instead give them some Heavy Bolter Servitors or something like that.

The Terminators can come in as needed, but until the minidex figures out what 'Aid From Beyond' is, they have to stay on the board to start, or I can get tabled too easily.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-14, 01:12 PM

Hmm, they are a lot of points to send on their lonesome, but at the same time that's a unit wasting its bullets on a single model rather than a unit. And besides, it sort of fits with the fluff, the sorcerers willing their rubrics on but since they have only just be afflicted with the curse, their actions are still too slow to react to incoming fire to save the sorcerer. Another interesting thing is the inquistors can potentially take out a transport, leaving the gooey flesh inside exposed for the Legion to rip them to shreds.

I'm still not sold on the terminators, not going to lie. Granted, it gives you your "Aura" of invulnerability and fits with the fluff but feels like a lot of points for a single unit. Maybe it would be better to split them into two units?

Are the LOTD being aggressive? Deepstriking behind and ripping the enemy to shreds?
If so, I feel you would probably benefit more from stay at home strike units rather than the terminators.

Have you considered using the LOTD artefact as well? (Not got it with me, can't remember its name). That would really fit with the thousand sons theme, the units armour reforging around the battle damage. And yes, found that hiliarious when it was released!
"Yes, you may field an entire army of the Legion...but if you do you automatically lose...so...err...don't!"

Think they let Mongo the magnificant at the type writer again when they came up with this dex

Last edited by Shadow's Fury; 03-05-14 at 01:23 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-14, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Keep in mind that Grey Knight Terminators can Combat Squad. It's slightly more cost effective to run them as a squad of 10, because you only need to buy the Psyammo once for all 10, and then you can break them into two squads of 5. To me they felt like the '1st Company' of the Thousand Sons; the elites, the ones that would not have ended up turning to dust. Adding Power Armored Grey Knights just makes me go 'why aren't THEY Rubrics?'

I could add the Relic to the Warlord sergeant, yes. I'd have to keep track of which squad had the FNP rolls. It's not a bad item, honestly.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-14, 01:44 PM

*face palm*
Yes of course! My mistake, I always forget about combat squads!

Well, the grey knights are all psykers. So, my understanding is that after the rubric was cast, it either boosted the power levels of existing psykers or turned those with little power into dust. You could say that these strike squads are those which have had their power boosted a little, granting them their force weapons, psy ammo and their warp quake power. This is already boosted compared to your bog standard marines. And after all, the abilities the rubrics have are coming from the psychic powers of the rest of the army and the fact they are just walking suits, feeling no pain and shrugging off wounds that would have destroyed a battle tank.

However, you are right that having them as terminators would certainly make this distinction anyway and provide you with greater protection (psychic wards if you will).

And yes, I'm not saying its a must but it would be an interesting feature added to an already very interesting army.

Last edited by Shadow's Fury; 03-05-14 at 01:46 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Was giving this army a bit more thought, and came up with a slight change or two, which might be a little bit more effective....

Whether or not it would be COOLER is a different story, but here we go...

Primary Detachment: Legion of the Damned

'Rubric Marine Squad' - 285 pts
8+1 Legionaries
Missile Launcher w/ Flakk, Meltagun
Sgt w/ Boltgun/BP, Animus (Warlord)

8+1 Legionaries
Sgt w/ Boltgun/BP

8+1 Legionaries
Sgt w/ Boltgun/BP

Allied Detachment: Grey Knights

Librarian - 235
Lv 3, Nem Ward Stave

GK Terminator Squad - 245
4+1, Psyammo, Psycannon x1, Hammer x1, Halberd x2, Sword x2

Stormraven Gunship - 255
Psyammo, Assault Cannons, Hvy Bolter, Hurricane Bolters

Inquisitorial Detachment

OM Inquisitor - 64
Mastery Lv 1 (Divination), Force Sword, Bolt Pistol, Carapace Armor, Servo Skulls x3

OM Inquisitor - 64
Mastery Lv 1 (Divination), Force Sword, Bolt Pistol, Carapace Armor, Servo Skulls x3

Henchmen Squad - 160
Psyker x10, Chimera w/ Hvy Bolter & Psy Ammo

Henchmen Squad - 160
Psyker x10, Chimera w/ Hvy Bolter & Psy Ammo

Total - 1998

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-14, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Just realized the downside to this last iteration of the army; only 2 flimsy squads in Chimeras start on the table. Thoughts?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Grey Knights Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode