Need some Advice - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-14, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Default Need some Advice

Alright first off let me explain the challenge I face. My friend is hosting a small friendly game 1000 point limit with a slight twist, 250 points are reserved for HQ selections. I know that is a ton of points, however the group of us are fairly recently returned to 40k, and would like to see how some of the named HQ's work in 6th ed.

My friend plays CSM's he has roughly 100 various CSM to choose from, 2 oblitorators, 5 possesed, 1 preditor, 1 land raider, Heldrake, Forgefiend, IG to be used if needed for cultists, and finally a defiler.

With some consideration given I came up with the below list ... what do you think? ,
Grey Knight Grand Master 380 pnts
5 GK Terminators
4 x NFH with SB
1 x NDH with Incinerator

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor 197 pnts
Psyker PA; BP; Daemonblade; 3 x Servo Skull
5 GK Strike Marines
4 x NFS; SB
1 x Psycannon

10 GK Purifiers 262 pnts
1 x NFH with SB
7 x NFS with SB
2 x Incinerator
psybolt ammo

1 Nemesis Dreadknight 160 pnts
Heavy Incinerator

With a total points cost of 999 - the inquisitor will be moved to the Purifier squad

My thoughts the GKGM will allow my Purifiers to become scoring and if I'm lucky the NDK as well. If I encounter Cultist hords set to bog down my lower model count army, the sanctified flame can eliminate a swath of them pretty quickly. The Terminator's will act as my GKGM's retinue, and I will use the GKSS to hold a middle objective, with the psycannon & warp quake they should be able to hold fairly well. The NDK if not scoring will provide for one heck of a distraction, hopefully causing enough grief with HI & DNCCW to possibly draw off his Heldrake for a turn or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-14, 07:16 PM

Brother Droopy's Flag is: USA

Are you limited to 250 for your HQ or can you go over/under?

Coteaz and Librarian come out to 250 and aren't bad HQ's.

Strike Squad x10 with Hammer, Halb (on justicar) and 2 Psycannons
Strike Squad x10 with Hammer, Halb (on justicar) and 2 Psycannons

Stormraven with Psybolts, huricane bolters, Multi Melta, and Assault Cannons

leaves you 25 points to play with afterwards

Grey Knights and Dark Angels Project

Thousand Sons
Grey Knights
Imperial Knights
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-14, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

so the way we are working it is:

750 points for the army with an additional 250 points for HQ, if you want to go over the 250 points for HQ then it comes off the 750 points that was set for your list.

I like your idea there, when you say "Strike Squad x10 with Hammer, Halb (on justicar) and 2 Psycannons" are you meaning 6 x GK with NFS; 1 x GK with NDH; 1 x GK Just with NFH & 2 x GK with Psycannon ?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-14, 06:31 PM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparto View Post
I like your idea there, when you say "Strike Squad x10 with Hammer, Halb (on justicar) and 2 Psycannons" are you meaning 6 x GK with NFS; 1 x GK with NDH; 1 x GK Just with NFH & 2 x GK with Psycannon ?
Yes that is what he is saying.

For your first list - do you have 2 troops choices? I know GKT normally are troops, but you have them listed with your HQ. If they are, my bad mate sorry.

The thing I'm not sure about that second list is the lack of flamers - psycannons are kinda great but against hordes (50+ models) you will be hard pressed to take them all out.

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-14, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

There are two troops the 5 man GKSS and the 5 man GKT, I just put the GKT with the HQ as the HQ will be joining that squad for deployment. The GKGM confers the Grand Strategist rule that will allow me to make D3 units scoring. I agree I love the flamers for killing hordes of cultists, however the psycannon's are no slouch when it comes to killing, not to mention I could use the SR to punt the Heldrake from the sky's then utilize the TL-AC; 2x Hurricane S5 bolters; and the TL-MM to scoure the cultists and their CSM masters. The mindstike missiles will be nice as well to deal with any psykers I may come in contact with.

I need to get a SR, however i'm sure I could proxy in one of my IG Valk's until such time as finances would allow me to spend the $99.00 +12%tax CAD on a SR.

Just a side question: I understand why Inq Corteaz is a great HQ, but why is it that most people will avoid the OM Inq with PA & Daemonblade at a 52% points cost reduction if you are not talking ton's of Henchman?

Last edited by Sparto; 01-23-14 at 07:10 PM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-14, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparto View Post
Just a side question: I understand why Inq Corteaz is a great HQ, but why is it that most people will avoid the OM Inq with PA & Daemonblade at a 52% points cost reduction if you are not talking ton's of Henchman?

It's his special rules that make him the best HQ in the book. Spy Network make you have a 1/36 chance to have your initative stolen instead of a 1/6th. I've Been Expecting You on a Quad gun give you 8 shots on flyers taht come into play within 12" of you. He gives Stubborn to his unit. On top of all that you also have access to Divination. That's a lot of utility for a very small price tag.

Thousand Sons
Grey Knights
Imperial Knights
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-14, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Okay here it goes:

Inq. Coteaz - Divination - 600 pnt

10 x GK SS
Just - NWS & SB
7 x GKSM - NFS & SB
2 x GKSM - Psycannon

StormRaven
- TLMM
- TLAC
- Spon. Hurc. Bolter
- 4x Mindstrike Missiles
- Psybolt

GK Lib. - Divination - NDH & SB - 400 pnts

10 x GK SS
Just - NWS & SB
7 x GKSM - NFS & SB
2 x GKSM - Psycannon

Total 1000 pnts on the nose

Last edited by Sparto; 01-25-14 at 08:36 AM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-14, 08:33 PM

You should drop the warding staves. They aren't worth it. Get Psybolts on your Stormraven.

The list I posted earlier is slightly better put together.

Thousand Sons
Grey Knights
Imperial Knights

Last edited by Brother Droopy; 01-24-14 at 08:46 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-14, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

sorry missed adding that ... it was pointed for ... post edited.

My thoughts on the warding staffs were ... with the IC having the NDH they could take on any challenges on models without PW or equivalent, tank a wound then ID MEQ Characters. While if I get some mean nasty challenge I can take it on the Justicar pretty well with the NWS prolonging the IC and their psyckic & special abilities. I read the idea online thought it might be worth giving a shot as I know my friend will be fielding Abaddon.

Last edited by Sparto; 01-25-14 at 08:47 AM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 01:56 AM

The list in your main post now has no Anti Air. The Heldrake will destroy you. Let's say for Example the guy you're up against uses the following list:

HQ
Abaddon

Troop
Cultist Spam
Cultist Spam
Cultist Spam

Elites
Termicide squad

Heavy
Land Raider

Fast
Heldrake

Fortification
Aegis defence Line with Coms

This is not an optimized list by any means. Abaddon in the raider with the Terminators. Heldrake comes on 2nd term cause of the Coms. Cultists go to Ground behind the Aegis for a 2+ cover save.

Abaddon will destroy your Terminator squad since they still get saves against your weapons and you have to take Inv at 4+ but it's still worse than 2+ and you're terminators cost a lot more. The Heldrake can kill a squad of power armor guys a round and not break a sweat. Anything not killed can easily be mopped up by the Land Raider after it's dropped off it's payload of death. Cultists just have to run to the objectives and wait for the terminator on terminator Blood Bath to end and the game to be over or hop in the raider to get to the objective faster.

Thousand Sons
Grey Knights
Imperial Knights

Last edited by Brother Droopy; 01-28-14 at 01:58 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Grey Knights Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode