GK 1600 pts First list - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-16-13, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

1ale4's Flag is: Italy

Default GK 1600 pts First list

Hello everybody, as I said in the introduction thread I'm going to start again playing WH40K.

I really need any advice about composing a "good" list, in order to bring asap my GK to the local shop tournament, and that's why I choose the weird 1600 pts format.

QG

Coteaz - 100

Troops

10 x GKSS - 240
2 psycannons
psybolt ammo

10 x GKSS - 240
2 psycannons
psybolt ammo

5 x Henchmen - 75
1 crusaders with power axe
4 DCA with power sword and power axe

5 x Henchmen - 40
3 acolytes with bolters
2 acolytes with meltaguns

Transport: Razorback - 50
psybolts

6 x Henchmen - 44
4 acolytes with bolters

psybolts

Fast Attack

Storm Raven Gunship - 255
MM, TLAC, Hurricane Bolters

Heavy Support

Nemesis DreadKnight - 235
HI and PT

Dreadnought - 135
autocannons, psybolt ammo

Dreadnought - 135
autocannons, psybolt ammo

Total: 1599 pts

Last edited by 1ale4; 06-16-13 at 03:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-13, 12:56 AM

coke123's Flag is: Australia

Your list is pretty good, although I'm not a fan of single flyers. However, the only ways I've found to bring redundant flyers in GK is to either to all-in on a dual Stormraven list, or to bring allies (either Guard or Necrons), so if you want to play pure ground based GK, your list is fine.

In fact, this is pretty much exactly what I'd run (although i might tweak the Warrior Acolyte squads, try to give them the third special weapon- but I'm not sure what I'd drop).

Oh- buy a searchlight for one of your Razorbacks to use up the last point on your list.

EDIT: Actually, you could really use some blasts- consider dropping one unit of Warrior Acolytes to get a unit of Henchman Psykers- 60pts gets you a S8 AP1 assault large blast that can fit in a Razorback.

"Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad."

Also known as BaselessElm

Last edited by coke123; 06-17-13 at 12:58 AM.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-13, 04:00 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

You've certainly got a "good" list there mate, well rounded and covers pretty much all the bases.

Only thing I would do is drop the DCA for more shooters.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-13, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coke123 View Post
Your list is pretty good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
You've certainly got a "good" list there mate, well rounded and covers pretty much all the bases.
Thanks a lot, to be honest it's me the one who has to thank you, because this list came out following all the suggestions you give to other players!

I'm happy that I just need little tweaks, anyway now I'm at work, so I'll change it this evening and maybe we can discuss a little more to put out a "final" list.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-13, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
However, the only ways I've found to bring redundant flyers in GK is to either to all-in on a dual Stormraven list, or to bring allies (either Guard or Necrons), so if you want to play pure ground based GK, your list is fine.
I'd prefer not to take allies. Don't you find quite expensive a second Stormraven at 1600 pts? I really don't know what could I drop for it...

Quote:
EDIT: Actually, you could really use some blasts- consider dropping one unit of Warrior Acolytes to get a unit of Henchman Psykers- 60pts gets you a S8 AP1 assault large blast that can fit in a Razorback.
Quote:
Only thing I would do is drop the DCA for more shooters.
I've thought at the DCA as a "hit-and-die" unit in the Stormraven which can save me from unexpected enemies, do you think that they don't worth the points?

I can drop them (within the others henchmen) and take two units of 6 x Henchmen (3 acolytes with bolters, 3 acolytes with meltaguns/plasmaguns/2 melta + 1 plasma) in a Razorback with psybolts ammo and searchlight (2 x 105).

This leaves me with 50 pts to spare, maybe 5 Psykers or 5 Acolytes with 3 meltaguns in the Stormraven?
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-13, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ale4 View Post
I'd prefer not to take allies. Don't you find quite expensive a second Stormraven at 1600 pts? I really don't know what could I drop for it...
If you take another Raven, then you'd have to rebuild your list- Double Raven is an "All-in" rock strategy, that is pretty much completely different from the more balanced approach you've taken here. A single Raven is OK, if you don't want allies, but should you look to take allies, then another plane is pretty much at the top of the list.

Quote:
I've thought at the DCA as a "hit-and-die" unit in the Stormraven which can save me from unexpected enemies, do you think that they don't worth the points?
They are fine in doing this; sometimes you just need to nail one unit off a backfield objective and that's enough, and DCA are certainly cheap enough to act as a suicide unit.

Quote:
I can drop them (within the others henchmen) and take two units of 6 x Henchmen (3 acolytes with bolters, 3 acolytes with meltaguns/plasmaguns/2 melta + 1 plasma) in a Razorback with psybolts ammo and searchlight (2 x 105).

This leaves me with 50 pts to spare, maybe 5 Psykers or 5 Acolytes with 3 meltaguns in the Stormraven?
I'd keep the DCA, but drop one of the melta squads. Then give the other melta squad the 3rd meltagun, and use any remaining points to grab Psykers, maybe with a Chimera if points permit.

"Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad."

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-13, 07:45 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
That's fair enough I guess, I am just not a fan of suicide squads.

Perhaps I should, but I have never used a unit for a role in which I know it will die.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-13, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
That's fair enough I guess, I am just not a fan of suicide squads.

Perhaps I should, but I have never used a unit for a role in which I know it will die.
Or perhaps I should not, too many years with Tyranids made me forget the value of life!

Quote:
I'd keep the DCA, but drop one of the melta squads. Then give the other melta squad the 3rd meltagun, and use any remaining points to grab Psykers, maybe with a Chimera if points permit.
You mean it'll be better take one bigger Henchmen squad with 3 melta + psyker + meatshields (sorry for this word but read above) in a Chimera or just spend the remaining 80 -roughly- points in walking Psykers and keep the razorback?

Last edited by 1ale4; 06-18-13 at 09:09 AM.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-13, 03:05 PM

Quote:
You mean it'll be better take one bigger Henchmen squad with 3 melta + psyker + meatshields (sorry for this word but read above) in a Chimera or just spend the remaining 80 -roughly- points in walking Psykers and keep the razorback?
I'm saying consider turning this:

Quote:
5 x Henchmen - 40
3 acolytes with bolters

psybolts

6 x Henchmen - 44
4 acolytes with bolters

psybolts
Into something like:

5 x Henchmen
2 acolytes with bolters
3 acolytes with meltaguns

Transport: Razorback
psybolts

5 x Henchmen
5 Psykers

Transport: Chimera

I haven't checked points, but I think this costs slightly more than what you have already, so you may need to make some cuts.

The chimera and razorback should also have searchlights.

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-13, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

I think I'll try a little the list before introduce Psykers, just because I really don't like the models!

Thanks a lot for all the advice guys!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Grey Knights Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode